Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P VS BMW I4 M50

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The i4 is a beta product with a beta powertrain and a beta platform (for electric) where the hell did they put an exta 1,000 lbs on the car, makes no sense at all…

Ive now driven the i4 twice, and I just cant get myself to love it. The super high dash and beltline made me feel way too claustrophobic, the throttle tuning was too slow for what I am used to, and the cramped interior just was a turn off for me.

Yeah, I think the CarWow video above does a good job of showing how this car is a bit of a transition product.

We've owned 4 BMWs, the Tesla is something totally different. The i4 design looks like all the other ICE 3/4 series including weirdly unnecessary ICE design elements like exhaust cutouts, a huge hood without a frunk, the interior isn't nearly as spacious - whether that's measured or perceived it's the same to me - as our TM3 (the BMW interior retained some ICE-ish-ness, transmission hump, it lacks that super open canopy ratio).

Then the real deal killer: the (DCFC) charging network, it's not even close (at least in the US).

I definitely would consider a BMW EV in the future, like about 2 years out after they move to an EV specific platform - which will also be a good point to determine how the charging infrastructure has developed - it's just not what I'd want right now. :)

Reactions: Not That M3
Here's what I do like on the i4 M50 (and I'd only consider the M50 variant):

Adaptive suspension
Hatch type trunk (with slightly more room in the main area)
Car Play

Get a bespoke platform developed from the ground up for EVs (including a few interior details), drop 800+ lbs, keep everything else the same (offer some dark/black wheels), and I'm a buyer.

Reactions: XPsionic
In response to this thread:

Who has driven the I4M50 that comes from an M3P?

My lease is about to be over but there are no I4s to test drive in my area… wondering what are your toughts on the BMW. On paper I dont like that its not a ground up EV and I dont like weight plus on video reviews it seems it cant put the power down…

Let me know your toughts!
JC

My lease is about to be over but there are no I4s to test drive in my area… wondering what are your toughts on the BMW. On paper I dont like that its not a ground up EV and I dont like weight plus on video reviews it seems it cant put the power down…

JC
I have not driven the I4 M50 but I can guarantee that it isn’t as fast in the 1/4 mile as a properly setup Model 3 Performance. It will definitely pull hard on the model 3 past 90 mph but it can’t match the launches of a Model 3 in any scenario.

Seems the Model 3 only requires and updated interior; nicer dash, driver screen, cooler steering and a black headliner at least on the Performance and it would destroy the BMW.

If you add updated 4680 lighter batteries with actually more range and one piece body castings... well you can see where Tesla is going and whats going to happen to the competition.
please add: update interior + at least somewhat acceptable QC and some efforts to at least deliver cars where customers don't have to comb over 50 items using a check-list.... and: acceptable aftermarket service. hint: 2+ weeks wait for a windshield and "here's uber credits" isn't cutting it when people spend north of $60k...

Reactions: afadeev and Brou

JC

The BMW is a nicer car. For the price, it should be. It has more features. I think the Tesla though has more interesting tech and will continue to improve over time unlike the BMW. Both are fast so its really a wash...i put 18 inch wheels on my M3P and it absorbs the bumps much better now but the BMW has adaptive suspension which is nice.

One thing that thread at the BMW forums gets wrong is the charging network...yes there are more individual DC fast charging stations but they don't compare. A lot are broken and only have like 4 stalls. Most Tesla Supercharger networks have at least 8 stalls and i've been to ones that have 24-50 stalls. I've had 2 instances of chargers not working in my 3 years of ownership...its amateur hour at the other stations (and I have a non-Tesla EV so i follow this carefully).

Also, charging speeds is just phenomenal on the Model 3...i don't think i've ever charged longer than 20 min. Couple that with the range and its a wonderful road trip car. Also, autopilot is near perfect on highways (where its really supposed to be used). Don't get FSD...waste of money.

If the range, charging network, technology and price aren't the driving factors (pun intended :D), then the BMW may be the better car for you. I don't know about maintenance costs on the BMW...i've spent $40 in 3 years of ownership (outside of tires) for maintenance. Also been super reliable. Hope this helps...i don't think you can go wrong either way. Good luck.

The BMW is a nicer car. For the price, it should be. It has more features. I think the Tesla though has more interesting tech and will continue to improve over time unlike the BMW. Both are fast so its really a wash...i put 18 inch wheels on my M3P and it absorbs the bumps much better now but the BMW has adaptive suspension which is nice.

One thing that thread at the BMW forums gets wrong is the charging network...yes there are more individual DC fast charging stations but they don't compare. A lot are broken and only have like 4 stalls. Most Tesla Supercharger networks have at least 8 stalls and i've been to ones that have 24-50 stalls. I've had 2 instances of chargers not working in my 3 years of ownership...its amateur hour at the other stations (and I have a non-Tesla EV so i follow this carefully).

Also, charging speeds is just phenomenal on the Model 3...i don't think i've ever charged longer than 20 min. Couple that with the range and its a wonderful road trip car. Also, autopilot is near perfect on highways (where its really supposed to be used). Don't get FSD...waste of money.

If the range, charging network, technology and price aren't the driving factors (pun intended :D), then the BMW may be the better car for you. I don't know about maintenance costs on the BMW...i've spent $40 in 3 years of ownership (outside of tires) for maintenance. Also been super reliable. Hope this helps...i don't think you can go wrong either way. Good luck.

the Model 3P costs $63k ... the BMW i4 M50 msrp is $66k ... factoring in the $7500 tax credit you could equip the BMW all the way to $70k+ and still be on par with the Model 3P. but even comparing base to base... $63k isn't that much cheaper than $66k and should never be an excuse for lacking QC or less nicer interior.

Reactions: Brou
One of the biggest benefits is the Tesla supercharger system. It is a deal breaker if you plan to even moderately travel. No one has come close, nor will in the foreseeable future.
while this is certainly true for 2022 / 2023 and 2024 ... anything beyond that I wouldn't be so sure. Texas is building a ton of CCS charging stations all across the state over the next 2+ yrs with infrastructure bill $ and Electrify America intends to double their chargers by 2026 and just got Siemens onboard as an additional investor. Tesla better figure out QC / service fast instead of relying too much on the Supercharger network locking people in to the brand...

the Model 3P costs $63k ... the BMW i4 M50 msrp is $66k ... factoring in the $7500 tax credit you could equip the BMW all the way to $70k+ and still be on par with the Model 3P. but even comparing base to base... $63k isn't that much cheaper than $66k and should never be an excuse for lacking QC or less nicer interior.

To equip the BMW similarly, you'd go to about $71k with tire package but yes, they are nearly equal with the fed tax credit. Some Model 3s have good quality, others not so much so Tesla is definitely not up to BMW for sure. I myself have had really good luck but i know others that weren't so lucky. These all have to be taken into account when evaluating these cars.

Reactions: SO16 and Brou

JC
@James Cole I haven't scored a test drive yet either, but I found this video review super useful. It's from the UK where apparently the i4 has been out for a while now.

There's a few actual test drive reports in this thread, also from folks in the UK. It's a long thread and not easy to find them anymore, so here's some direct links.
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/6280485/
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/6280505/
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/6314040/ <--- This is the most detailed firsthand comparison in the thread.

The i4 M50 sounds like a really nice car, but Model 3 Performance matches my priorities and preferences more, especially now that I've upgraded the suspension on mine. I'm doubtful that the i4 M50 could ever handle as well as my modded M3P does now, no matter what suspension you throw on the i4. I'm definitely jealous of the hatch opening though!

If you value the i4's smooth, quiet refinement and stronger top end power over the 3's better traction, better driver feel, and potential for better handling (aftermarket suspension needed!), then the i4 seems like a good choice. It's a matter of priorities. To me, my 2021 M3P has perfectly acceptable refinement and interior quality. Is it luxurious? No, and I'm sure the BMW is easily better in those regards, but I just don't care that much, my priorities are different. I'm also not into the BMW's styling inside or out. (Not that the Model 3 has any special styling either. I'm just saying the BMW's interior and exterior are not selling points to me, aside from the hatch, and possibly the seats *if* they're some of BMW's better seats.)

The i4 M50's extra top end power sounds nice. Its worse low-speed traction does not. So to me the acceleration differences are probably a wash overall. Again this is a matter of one's priorities.

Last edited:
The i4 M50's extra top end power sounds nice. Its worse low-speed traction does not. So to me the acceleration differences are probably a wash overall. Again this is a matter of one's priorities.
Thinking more about the acceleration differences...standing launches don't matter much to me, I almost never do them. 100+ mph driving also doesn't matter much to me these days, again I almost never do that (anymore 😉).

What does matter to me is powering out of low speed turns, including hairpins. M3P is good at that, I do feel bits of wheelspin from the open diffs at times, mostly the rear, but overall it's got pretty solid traction. Would the i4 M50 lose out to the M3P for traction coming out of tight turns, or are the i4 M50's traction struggles only from a dead stop?

Thinking more about the acceleration differences...standing launches don't matter much to me, I almost never do them. 100+ mph driving also doesn't matter much to me these days, again I almost never do that (anymore 😉).

What does matter to me is powering out of low speed turns, including hairpins. M3P is good at that, I do feel bits of wheelspin from the open diffs at times, mostly the rear, but overall it's got pretty solid traction. Would the i4 M50 lose out to the M3P for traction coming out of tight turns, or are the i4 M50's traction struggles only from a dead stop?

Already pretty heavily discussed previously... even at common passing speeds the M3P is quicker. The BMW makes more total power at high speeds, which will allow it to be faster in extra-legal speed territory-- but it's 1000 lbs heavier and it shows.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd

I suspect the i4 M50 will hold traction in corners a bit better simply by virtue of having wider tires, but it's hard to say for sure. What's clear either way is that despite the label, the i4 M50 isn't really an M car. A proper electric M3/4 might be enough to make me go back to BMW, but who knows how long it'll take for that to actually become a thing.

As annoying as the power drop is on the M3P, BMW for whatever god forsaken reason has limited the i4 M50 to a 130mph top speed. So that negates much of the higher speed performance IMO.

Seems the Model 3 only requires and updated interior; nicer dash, driver screen, cooler steering and a black headliner at least on the Performance and it would destroy the BMW.

If you add updated 4680 lighter batteries with actually more range and one piece body castings... well you can see where Tesla is going and whats going to happen to the competition.

Lol yeah, it's too bad there is no car company that can merge Tesla's tech with a class of interior that equals the hype of the powertrain. Lucid maybe?

I suspect the i4 M50 will hold traction in corners a bit better simply by virtue of having wider tires, but it's hard to say for sure.
@terranx I think the tire factor ultimately favors the M3P thanks to its significantly lighter weight. I wasn't asking about max mid-corner grip though, I was asking how efficiently the i4 M50 can put its power down exiting low speed corners.

I'm not really worried about total cornering grip, I think with the right wheels and tires I'd be happy with either car in that regard (for my street driving).