Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P VS BMW I4 M50

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well both cars are open diff as far as I'm aware, have relatively similar rear suspension designs, so it'll probably come down to whoever has the better traction/stability control system. The wider tires may help overcome some of the open diff deficiencies.

I have M3P -21 and I´m considering saving up some money and buy a BMW i4 instead. This is 100% because of all the rattles and various other sounds coming from the interior of the Tesla. We have fixed about 5 of them already but more and more keeps appearing and I feel like it´s a battle I can´t win. The newest one is a high pitch noise probably coming from the motor. Tesla is going to look at it in august. Also all functions related to cameras are out of order since february. This includes cruise control, autopilot, sentry mode, automatic wipers, auto brake in an emergency etc ... I´ve had it with Tesla I´m afraid.

Can anyone in here report on how quiet the cabin is in the i4? Are there rattles etc in the BMW as well?

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
I have M3P -21 and I´m considering saving up some money and buy a BMW i4 instead. This is 100% because of all the rattles and various other sounds coming from the interior of the Tesla. We have fixed about 5 of them already but more and more keeps appearing and I feel like it´s a battle I can´t win. The newest one is a high pitch noise probably coming from the motor. Tesla is going to look at it in august. Also all functions related to cameras are out of order since february. This includes cruise control, autopilot, sentry mode, automatic wipers, auto brake in an emergency etc ... I´ve had it with Tesla I´m afraid.

Can anyone in here report on how quiet the cabin is in the i4? Are there rattles etc in the BMW as well?
My 2021 MIC M3LR has no rattles or problems (so far..knock on wood) I suppose your car could just be a lemon and it’s possible to get a lemon from any manufacturer...but BMW is no better or worse than any other volume producer...if it was a genuine M car then maybe it will be perfect because each car is gone over by hand by BMW Motorsports...but I’m not sure if they are doing EVs yet

My 2021 MIC M3LR has no rattles or problems (so far..knock on wood) I suppose your car could just be a lemon and it’s possible to get a lemon from any manufacturer...but BMW is no better or worse than any other volume producer...if it was a genuine M car then maybe it will be perfect because each car is gone over by hand by BMW Motorsports...but I’m not sure if they are doing EVs yet

I have googled BMW i4 and "rattles" and not found a single thread or post. And every review I see about the i4 praises it´s interior quality. Both in feel and fit and finish. I have owned a BMW 135i Coupe and the quality in the interior far surpasses that of my M3P. The plastics used in my Tesla feels cheap and scratches easily. The interior of my 135 looked more or less brand new after 13 years!
And sure there are "lemons". But when I took delivery of my Tesla I was shocked. Paint chip, blue stains on several spots, cratched rims, panel gaps all over, the hood is actually crocked to it bogs down in the mittle, giving the car a very strande look from the front, etc. A very poor experience and they had clearly not even looked at the car before handing it out to me. That is NOT the way BMW works.

So if anyone actually owned a BMW i4 or at least have used one I would be glad if they could respond with how the interior felt, and more important if you could hear any sounds/squeaks/rattles.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
I have googled BMW i4 and "rattles" and not found a single thread or post.

To be fair- they've sold very very very few of them relative to the # of Model 3s sold. BMW at a quick glance doesn't break out sales by model for the i4 but likely there's been at least 100 Model 3s sold for every i4- so even if the "% that have rattles" was identical it'd be 100x rarer to find such a complaint on the i4 today.

You can certainly find threads on rattles on every other BMW model ever made so there's certain to be some on the i4 over time.

And sure there are "lemons". But when I took delivery of my Tesla I was shocked. Paint chip, blue stains on several spots, cratched rims, panel gaps all over, the hood is actually crocked to it bogs down in the mittle, giving the car a very strande look from the front, etc.

Why in the world did you accept it then?

I looked mine over thoroughly, and this was back in 2018 in the first few months of Tesla building AWD Model 3s--- it was perfect except for a tiny bit of overspray on the front glass they removed on the spot. If it had had half the issues you describe I'd have rejected it.

A very poor experience and they had clearly not even looked at the car before handing it out to me. That is NOT the way BMW works.

Then how did this happen?

Whole thread is about various quality problems on BMWs in general, but since we're on "they should have looked it over before delivery" issues-

BMW owner said:
mine was delivered with a dent in one of the two left hand side exhausts on my M50i. Reported to the dealer 48 hours after collection. Couldn't possibly have been damaged as it's recessed into the exhaust housing with no damage around it. Should have been caught in PDI

or this?

Yesterday I took delivery of my special-order 2019 X3 (I'm in the USA). I did a too-hasty walk around before driving the vehicle home. At home, I noticed some damage to the left rear bumper and tail light. The paint over the plastic bumper is scraped off in three places, the tail light lens is scuffed, and there is an area of the bumper above the tail light that is scuffed

Same thread:

Custom order M40i. During walkaround, I found a dent/paint chip under the X3 badge on the tailgate. I did not accept delivery at that point. The dealer sent the vehicle to a high-end body shop that works on Ferraris, etc. They pulled the dent, repainted the area, and clear coated the entire tailgate. During this process, the body shop also found similar damage to the roof, so they repaired in the same manner.

Tons more threads out there (and hardly exclusive to BMW)

Seems "physical damage to the vehicle" would be caught a lot easier than interior rattles if BMW is properly looking these over before delivery?[/QUOTE]

I have googled BMW i4 and "rattles" and not found a single thread or post. And every review I see about the i4 praises it´s interior quality. Both in feel and fit and finish. I have owned a BMW 135i Coupe and the quality in the interior far surpasses that of my M3P. The plastics used in my Tesla feels cheap and scratches easily. The interior of my 135 looked more or less brand new after 13 years!
And sure there are "lemons". But when I took delivery of my Tesla I was shocked. Paint chip, blue stains on several spots, cratched rims, panel gaps all over, the hood is actually crocked to it bogs down in the mittle, giving the car a very strande look from the front, etc. A very poor experience and they had clearly not even looked at the car before handing it out to me. That is NOT the way BMW works.

So if anyone actually owned a BMW i4 or at least have used one I would be glad if they could respond with how the interior felt, and more important if you could hear any sounds/squeaks/rattles.
As someone who owned BMW's back to back for like 10 years let me tell you...

They make great cars but they're not infallible. I had more issues on average per car than I have had with my two (so far) Teslas. Just as important as the number of issues per car on average is how those issues are dealt with. To be clear, I also had some absolute gems from BMW that were perfect on delivery and had literally no issues for my entire ownership. I believe there are plenty of people out there who have had the same experience with Tesla.

You're drawing conclusions based on an exaggeration though.

To be fair- they've sold very very very few of them relative to the # of Model 3s sold. BMW at a quick glance doesn't break out sales by model for the i4 but likely there's been at least 100 Model 3s sold for every i4- so even if the "% that have rattles" was identical it'd be 100x rarer to find such a complaint on the i4 today.

You can certainly find threads on rattles on every other BMW model ever made so there's certain to be some on the i4 over time.

Why in the world did you accept it then?

I looked mine over thoroughly, and this was back in 2018 in the first few months of Tesla building AWD Model 3s--- it was perfect except for a tiny bit of overspray on the front glass they removed on the spot. If it had had half the issues you describe I'd have rejected it.

Then how did this happen?

Whole thread is about various quality problems on BMWs in general, but since we're on "they should have looked it over before delivery" issues-

or this?

Same thread:

Tons more threads out there (and hardly exclusive to BMW)

Seems "physical damage to the vehicle" would be caught a lot easier than interior rattles if BMW is properly looking these over before delivery?
[/QUOTE]

They said that I had to sign. There was no time to go over the car in that detail that I wanted to. "Everything will be fixed afterwards" they said.

Regarding the paint chip the just filled it with touch up paint. It looked awful.
The winter rims was damaged on the back. All scraped up. "Within spec" they said because it was on the back. I noticed this when I got back home since these were in the trunk (dirty wheels and not even in plastic bags).

I have noticed paint drops in the lower parts of the car. laughable ....

Perhaps my car is the worst of all Teslas out there. I don´t know. But I won´t be getting another Tesla, that is for sure. And you can´t really blame me for that.
I´ll be trying out an i4 and see how that is. Just to bad about its shorter range and efficiency. And I´ll miss all the smart features in my Tesla if I get one. But not having to drive it using ear plugs would be nice (not kidding. I´m OCD about rattles).

lol. claiming that Tesla is no worse or better in interior quality/ fit&finish/ rattles than BMW is *reeeeeally* stretching it. Goes against most tests/ forums. Not to mention the "within spec" excuse the Service Center usually dishes out...

I consider myself lucky with my Model 3 AWD - over 3 years I only had a) one interior trim piece lose / sticking out (from factory, Mobile Service couldn't get it to fit and ordered a new one) b) a few clips in wheel well missing (replaced myself) c) replaced damaged plastic covers under rocker panel in Service Center where they couldn't get it installed straight and were not overly "sorry" for the job they did.... while this isn't a lot... it's more than I had with BMW / Audi / Ford (Hyundai was actually worse with 2 major warranty repairs related to mechanical things)

lol. claiming that Tesla is no worse or better in interior quality/ fit&finish/ rattles than BMW is *reeeeeally* stretching it. Goes against most tests/ forums. Not to mention the "within spec" excuse the Service Center usually dishes out...
I’m not saying that some Tesla factories haven’t had quality control issues...or that the one (and probably the only) saving grace of a dealer network is to get a car in a presentable condition for sale...but many many cars from many many manufacturers have inbuilt self destructing faults...these often prove to be extremely expensive to fix or diagnose and often don’t show up until after the warranty expires...the initial walk through isn’t the only way to compare design and manufacturing integrity

They said that I had to sign. There was no time to go over the car in that detail that I wanted to. "Everything will be fixed afterwards" they said.

I mean, they can "say" whatever they want. I've been told lies by every car dealer type employee I think I've ever dealt with across a dozen brands including multiple luxury ones (Lexus, Mercedes, Infiniti, BMW, Caddy, etc).

But you're under 0 obligation to sign for something until you've taken whatever time you want to look it over and inspect it- and they have no recourse to force you to do so.

I realize that's of no help to you now- but I'd certainly keep in mind for any future vehicle purchase from any brand.

FWIW- I found more wrong with my new-from-factory Lexus, allegedly the highest quality brand on the market by most measures, than I did my new-from-factory Tesla-- but individual anecdotes like this exist in both directions for any brand.

If the only issues were those found at delivery of my M3P then here wouldn´t be much of an issue anymore. However there have been so many rattles that if I manage to take care of one, another one pops up. It´s like a never ending story.
Then not having autopilot or even cruise control for half a year now and Tesla doesn´t seem to know how to fix it, it not really great.
I´ve been to SC (about 280 miles trip) 5 times and have been visited by mobile service about as much in the first year. It´s not been a pleasant experience at all and more and more problems arise.
I love the tech when it works but it seldom does in my case. I could also live with the cheap interior if it just wouldn´t rattle. For a 75 000 $ car (in Sweden) this is simply not acceptable. I have NOT gotten an excuse from Tesla either.

I have googled BMW i4 and "rattles" and not found a single thread or post.
Instead of searching for i4 rattles, search for 4 series rattles. The i4 is relatively new. The shell it lives in has been around for a couple of years.

My last BMW was a 2019 545. There was nothing special about the interior. Sure the color was cool and the seats were nice and plush but the sunroof rattled like crazy the infotainment system was trash. It was like sitting in a big comfy recliner in the backroom of a marble manufacturer while using a broken remote to watch TV. My 545 only saw 5k miles in a year of ownership. The cabin noise in addition to the boring ride mostly kept me out of it.

Reactions: Bouba
Instead of searching for i4 rattles, search for 4 series rattles. The i4 is relatively new. The shell it lives in has been around for a couple of years.

My last BMW was a 2019 545. There was nothing special about the interior. Sure the color was cool and the seats were nice and plush but the sunroof rattled like crazy the infotainment system was trash. It was like sitting in a big comfy recliner in the backroom of a marble manufacturer while using a broken remote to watch TV. My 545 only saw 5k miles in a year of ownership. The cabin noise in addition to the boring ride mostly kept me out of it.
Yes indeed when searching for 4 series rattles I found some issues. Maybe I need to go to therapy to become immune to these sounds.

Then not having autopilot or even cruise control for half a year now and Tesla doesn´t seem to know how to fix it, it not really great.
I´ve been to SC (about 280 miles trip) 5 times and have been visited by mobile service about as much in the first year. It´s not been a pleasant experience at all and more and more problems arise.

Does your country not have a lemon law?

In most US states if a car maker can't fix a serious problem after 2 or 3 tries, or if the car is in service for 30 days or more during the first year (or two, varies by state), the car maker has to buy it back from you.

One of the biggest benefits is the Tesla supercharger system. It is a deal breaker if you plan to even moderately travel. No one has come close, nor will in the foreseeable future.

while this is certainly true for 2022 / 2023 and 2024 ...

*Checks calendar and garage*

Yep, the right choice is in place :D

Having had louder cars in the past, I wonder how much of it is because electric cars are quieter so it's more obvious?

I had a '95 C4 Corvette that very likely had a few rattles, but it had full 3" exhaust through LT headers with HFCs, heads, a big cam, so I didn't hear them.

Or the radio.

Or the passenger talking to me ...

:p