Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P vs MYP Suspension, acceleration?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I owned an M3P for 2 years. It was recently totaled and now I’ve ordered an MYP. I watched some YouTube comparisons where the driver commented that the ride seemed a bit smoother in the Y. I have read reports on these forums that the Y felt “sluggish” and that there was no difference in the suspension at all.

I’d like more feedback particularly on the suspension. We know that the P version of the Y is slightly slower. That’s okay but does it really feel sluggish? How does the suspension compare on the two cars? I will be swapping out the Uber Turbines with these 20” wheels:

85-B6722-D-B6-CF-40-F3-A153-3-EEBFCC82256.jpg

IMO, the MY rides significantly nicer than the M3 when the MY is equipped with the 19" wheels, and a little better than the M3 when equipped with the 20s. I'm not sure about the 21s. I was very surprised how sluggish the MYP felt off the line. After 10 MPH, it is very fast, but even the M3 AWD felt faster off the line to me.

I ended up getting the MY AWD with 19s, which rides smooth, has a lifetime average of 245 wh/mi so far (3400 miles) and is very quick, especially in the 30-75 range. The M3 AWD is certainly faster in this band, but the MS AWD feels slower in this band to me. 0-30 was more important to me in my youth, merging and passing speeds are my priority now.

I came from a 2019 M3 AWD (sold it), then got a 2019 M3P (which I traded in for my MYP). Off the line, there's definitely a difference coming from my M3P. However, I don't feel it's "sluggish" at all. What I do feel that is better than the M3P, is the mid-range pull the MYP has. It feels quicker from 30 or 40 to 60 plus. I do feel a update will make it a little faster in the future though... (I'm hoping for one anyways ;))

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
How did you feel about trading in the M3P for the MYP? I love my 2020 M3P and don’t want to trade it in but as my family grows, the wife wants a bigger car. I drover the MY LR but didn’t enjoy it as much. I didn’t get a chance to test drive the MYP but I was hoping to get a sense from someone who has owned it for a while. Does it make sense to buy the LR + acceleration boost or go for the MYP?