Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P Vs standard range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am currently in a 20 plate, standard range M3 as my 71 plate M3P is in for a new battery. Thought I’d do a comparison after 500 miles.

Range: (based solely on this week in the loaner and last week in mine)
SR - states 210 miles at 100% and gets about 140 In real life. I’m currently at a SC as it doesn’t get me from home to work.
M3P - states 280 miles at 90% and gets 220ish.

EAP:
Both have EAP but the loaner used ALOT more force to stop the steering nags. Almost to the point where it would bread the auto steer lock on my car.

The camera view on over taking in the loaner is very slow to show, seems to try and catch up and then is off almost before it’s come on. The camera is also badly dazzled by the actual Amber indication light where mine isn’t. I’m sure this is a known issue where a basic mod fixes it though.

Headlights:
The loaner doesn’t have matrix lights, mine does. I feel that the light on the loaner is much cleaner and evenly spread, where as mine has hotspots.

On full beam the loaner is again a much cleaner even light and mine is “blotchy” due to the matrix pattern.

Power and drivetrain:
I’ve not driven 2wd for over 10 years so this was very quick to cut its power in the slightest damp when trying to push it. That said, absolutely nothing wrong with it 99% of the time - wouldn’t fancy it in the winter / ice though.

The overtaking prowess of the M3P is clearly unmatched by almost anything so this was a shock! 😂

Apart from the few minor visuals, no ambient lighting in the loaner and slight difference in sound system they are one in the same - although mine isn’t covered in dog hair 😬

2019_Tesla_Model_3_Performance_AWD_Front.jpg

"File:2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance AWD Front.jpg" by Vauxford is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail

Last edited:
Reactions: Prof. Martin

So (just to clarify) pro-rata would be 244 miles for 100%-to-0%?

Headlights:
... mine has hotspots.

... mine is “blotchy” due to the matrix pattern.

I haven't seen this mentioned before, but I had that. I find the lights on my MY distractive because of the "banding" of the light on roadside bushes etc. I have assumed that the higher (MY) driving position makes that more noticeable.

Power and drivetrain:
I’ve not driven 2wd for over 10 years so this was very quick to cut its power in the slightest damp when trying to push it. That said, absolutely nothing wrong with it 99% of the time - wouldn’t fancy it in the winter / ice though.

I think that's the difference between performance and non-performance. I've owned MSP and it was astonishing how it put the power down - stop at lights at (large) roundabout, take the first exit up the ramp to dual carriageway - MSP was quite happy doing that in launch with zero drama and loss of traction. Even in the wet!

DragTimes (YouTube) hired a track (years ago) to do some videos of comparison of MSP and Lamborghini. It was raining, they'd paid for the track anyway, so they did some 0-60 times and surprised themselves with how little difference it made. I don't remember them trying it in the Lambo! I had a Lotus S3 Turbo - back in the days when Turbo Lag was a thing! Spun it on a bone dry road in central London on a beautiful sunny mid summer day pulling away from the lights - I was being leery, just not concentrating fully! Absolutely hated taking that thing anywhere if the road was even damp. I'm all-in for electric these days :)

All the (non-P) MS loaners I've had over the years, and the M3 and MY I've owned (all AWD & Non-P), all scrabble under full throttle. I have no idea how they prevent that on P-models, and why that isn't as refined on standard-AWD ... perhaps more "push" from the bigger rear motor, or maybe Tesla deliberately want to differentiate the P-models.

I've not driven M3P, but people tell me it is as sure footed on launch as the MSP

I doubt you would have an actual problem with it in Winter/ice/snow - traction control takes care of it. I expect it would wiggle a bit, but nothing dramatic and, yeah, you wouldn't be able to make progress like AWD ... but even if AWD can GO on Snow it can't stop ... I fit a set of Winter tyres which takes care of that problem :) Back in the days of ICE I had winter tyres on the 2WD cars too, huge difference in Wintry conditions.

SR - states 210 miles at 100% and gets about 140 In real life. I’m currently at a SC as it doesn’t get me from home to work.
So you are saying you are averaging about 350wh/m?. That is very high.
But then your maths for the M3P is also about 320wh/m which is also very high
If "home from work" is over 140miles (or do you mean 70+ each way?) then I assume some of it is motorway? what is your typical cruising speed?
what does your energy graph look like?

All the (non-P) MS loaners I've had over the years, and the M3 and MY I've owned (all AWD & Non-P), all scrabble under full throttle. I have no idea how they prevent that on P-models, and why that isn't as refined on standard-AWD ... perhaps more "push" from the bigger rear motor, or maybe Tesla deliberately want to differentiate the P-models.

I've not driven M3P, but people tell me it is as sure footed on launch as the MSP

My M3P certainly scrabbles/spins for grip if I floor it and it's not dry.

Just reread the initial post again, is the op’s car a standard range or standard range + ?
pre heat pump. Or does he have the same shoes as Fred Munster lol.
There is no such thing as a standard range in the UK . Both the original 50Kwh and the later 60kwh+ heat pump car were called SR+ before they dropped the name altogether but I am thinking its an original 50kwh car based on the stated 210mile theoretical range

Reactions: Adopado
So (just to clarify) pro-rata would be 244 miles for 100%-to-0%?

Yes that sounds about right to me
I haven't seen this mentioned before, but I had that. I find the lights on my MY distractive because of the "banding" of the light on roadside bushes etc. I have assumed that the higher (MY) driving position makes that more noticeable.
Never driven another tesla in the dark apart from mine and this loaner so couldn’t comment but certainly noticeable to me.

I doubt you would have an actual problem with it in Winter/ice/snow - traction control takes care of it. I expect it would wiggle a bit, but nothing dramatic and, yeah, you wouldn't be able to make progress like AWD ... but even if AWD can GO on Snow it can't stop ... I fit a set of Winter tyres which takes care of that problem :) Back in the days of ICE I had winter tyres on the 2WD cars too, huge difference in Wintry conditions.

Yes I fit winters too and noticed a good improvement even in my M3P 👍🏻

Reactions: WannabeOwner
So you are saying you are averaging about 350wh/m?. That is very high.
But then your maths for the M3P is also about 320wh/m which is also very high
If "home from work" is over 140miles (or do you mean 70+ each way?) then I assume some of it is motorway? what is your typical cruising speed?
what does your energy graph look like?
It’s 140 miles each way, I commute on a Sunday and back on a Friday. 95+% is motorway/ dual carriageway. 4% national speed limit single carriageway and a few villages and local bits are 30-40mph.

Cruise speed is the speed limit (too many cameras these days), as are the other roads. Almost always have EAP engaged too.

I’ll have to check the energy graphs and come back to you.

I have a 22 RWD M3, and I wouldn't be able to do 280 miles on a single charge, especially at motorway speeds. 140 is very easy though, furthest I've gone on a full charge so far is 210 miles in the depths of winter in January and still had around 9% battery left. I commute 50 miles each way to work a day with 30 miles being on the M50 and M5 and over the 7500 or so miles I've driven since early December have averaged 234wh/mile (4.2 miles / KW) which is not bad considering we had quite a spate of -5 degree weeks during that time and gives me a max range of about 244 miles based on 57kw usable battery.

over the 7500 or so miles I've driven since early December have averaged 234wh/mile (4.2 miles / KW) which is not bad considering we had quite a spate of -5 degree weeks during that time and gives me a max range of about 244 miles based on 57kw usable battery.

I think that's really good efficiency tbh, especially as you say - right in the middle of winter. Just by way of comparison, I got my M3P similar time to you by the sounds of it (9th Dec collection for me) and have done just under 6k miles - currently averaging 318wh/mile (and falling as the weather improves! :cool:)

Reactions: BongoFury
my office is about 155-160 miles away (depends which route I take), all motorway and it takes about 45-55% of the battery to get there (depending on the time of the year and meteo conditions (more battery used if wet/raining). That is on the LR model.

I think that's really good efficiency tbh, especially as you say - right in the middle of winter. Just by way of comparison, I got my M3P similar time to you by the sounds of it (9th Dec collection for me) and have done just under 6k miles - currently averaging 318wh/mile (and falling as the weather improves! :cool:)
If i had a M3P I would be flooring it everywhere!! My RWD feels really quick, but I test drove the P before I got a M3 and wow it blew my socks off!! It feels kind of like the launch on Rita Queen of Speed at Alton Towers. So well done for reigning it in to 318 wh/m!!

My test drive was in a long range, wish I had picked the performance instead. Maybe a good thing that bought a standard range, so I get to keep my license lol. No surprising that I keep it in chill mode.

Maybe that’s why the op found the range so disappointing, using standard mode.
I only use standard for impressing friends.

If i had a M3P I would be flooring it everywhere!! My RWD feels really quick, but I test drove the P before I got a M3 and wow it blew my socks off!! It feels kind of like the launch on Rita Queen of Speed at Alton Towers. So well done for reining it in to 318 wh/m!!
Yeah tbf I think the wife’s use has a lot to do with the efficient being pretty decent. She drives it very steadily whereas I like to get my foot down :p I didn’t buy an M3P to be obsessing over efficiency lol

Reactions: M1tch
Yeah tbf I think the wife’s use has a lot to do with the efficient being pretty decent. She drives it very steadily whereas I like to get my foot down :p I didn’t buy an M3P to be obsessing over efficiency lol
Lol, same. But it still does impress me that I can go 240ish miles for around 10$ in a car that has a 3 second 0-60. I have a heavy foot too.

Reactions: rowedav and M1tch
I am currently in a 20 plate, standard range M3 as my 71 plate M3P is in for a new battery. Thought I’d do a comparison after 500 miles.

Range: (based solely on this week in the loaner and last week in mine)

EAP:
Both have EAP but the loaner used ALOT more force to stop the steering nags. Almost to the point where it would bread the auto steer lock on my car.

The camera view on over taking in the loaner is very slow to show, seems to try and catch up and then is off almost before it’s come on. The camera is also badly dazzled by the actual Amber indication light where mine isn’t. I’m sure this is a known issue where a basic mod fixes it though.

Headlights:
The loaner doesn’t have matrix lights, mine does. I feel that the light on the loaner is much cleaner and evenly spread, where as mine has hotspots.

On full beam the loaner is again a much cleaner even light and mine is “blotchy” due to the matrix pattern.

Power and drivetrain:

The overtaking prowess of the M3P is clearly unmatched by almost anything so this was a shock! 😂

Apart from the few minor visuals, no ambient lighting in the loaner and slight difference in sound system they are one in the same - although mine isn’t covered in dog hair 😬

View attachment 932454
"File:2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance AWD Front.jpg" by Vauxford is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail
Interesting write up. I’m making a switch the other way, from a 21 Sr+ to a model 3p 2019. And hoping I get a fairly decent range bump.
My sr+ displays 236 miles and averages 205 wh/m. I recently drove from exeter to London in what can only be described as ideal condition and did 188 miles with 10% remaining. So In theory 206 miles at full charge. That’s driving quite reserved at 60mph and not needing Ac/heater etc.

I’m intrigued, if you are eeking out range from your m3p what can you get range wise? A fair amount of my journeys are London to Cornwall and making it comfortably is more important then quick to me.

I have a feeling I’m gonna miss the rwd, it’s such a joy for city driving and the efficiency is incredible. I have the heat pump one, made I’m freemont so has the non lfp battery and it’s been a dream.