Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P Vs standard range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am currently in a 20 plate, standard range M3 as my 71 plate M3P is in for a new battery. Thought I’d do a comparison after 500 miles.

Range: (based solely on this week in the loaner and last week in mine)
SR - states 210 miles at 100% and gets about 140 In real life. I’m currently at a SC as it doesn’t get me from home to work.
M3P - states 280 miles at 90% and gets 220ish.

EAP:
Both have EAP but the loaner used ALOT more force to stop the steering nags. Almost to the point where it would bread the auto steer lock on my car.

The camera view on over taking in the loaner is very slow to show, seems to try and catch up and then is off almost before it’s come on. The camera is also badly dazzled by the actual Amber indication light where mine isn’t. I’m sure this is a known issue where a basic mod fixes it though.

Headlights:
The loaner doesn’t have matrix lights, mine does. I feel that the light on the loaner is much cleaner and evenly spread, where as mine has hotspots.

On full beam the loaner is again a much cleaner even light and mine is “blotchy” due to the matrix pattern.

Power and drivetrain:
I’ve not driven 2wd for over 10 years so this was very quick to cut its power in the slightest damp when trying to push it. That said, absolutely nothing wrong with it 99% of the time - wouldn’t fancy it in the winter / ice though.

The overtaking prowess of the M3P is clearly unmatched by almost anything so this was a shock! 😂

Apart from the few minor visuals, no ambient lighting in the loaner and slight difference in sound system they are one in the same - although mine isn’t covered in dog hair 😬

2019_Tesla_Model_3_Performance_AWD_Front.jpg

"File:2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance AWD Front.jpg" by Vauxford is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail

Last edited:
Reactions: Prof. Martin
I recently drove from exeter to London
... ideal condition ...
... driving at 60mph

Doesn't sound like ideal conditions to me! OR ... that may look different when you change to the "P" :)

ABRP (just for sanity check) says 50.3 kWh, 274 Wh/mi and includes a stop at Amesbury, 6 minutes, 45% - 60% - 175 mi 2 h 46 min driving, 2h 51m total

I then set 60 MPH Max and it says you'd get there in one hop arriving with 11%, 43 kWh, 236 Wh/mi 173 mi 3 h 13 min

I put in "London" and I doubt you went to exactly the same place :) but 11% is close to your 10% and you did 15 miles more ... however the wH/mile is quite a bit different

Anyways, the 2019 M3P 20" driven at 60 (Really?!!) ABRP says 33% left and 47 kWh, 258 Wh/mi 173 mi 3 h 13 min

And with my Ahem! normal setts of 10% over an an indication for max speed then 21% on arrival and 55.4 kWh, 304 Wh/mi 173 mi 2 h 40 min

Reactions: Dommmm
Interesting write up. I’m making a switch the other way, from a 21 Sr+ to a model 3p 2019. And hoping I get a fairly decent range bump.
My sr+ displays 236 miles and averages 205 wh/m. I recently drove from exeter to London in what can only be described as ideal condition and did 188 miles with 10% remaining. So In theory 206 miles at full charge. That’s driving quite reserved at 60mph and not needing Ac/heater etc.

I’m intrigued, if you are eeking out range from your m3p what can you get range wise? A fair amount of my journeys are London to Cornwall and making it comfortably is more important then quick to me.

I have a feeling I’m gonna miss the rwd, it’s such a joy for city driving and the efficiency is incredible. I have the heat pump one, made I’m freemont so has the non lfp battery and it’s been a dream.
I get about 220ish from a full charge and do nothing out of my way to increase range. I drive at the speed limits as there are too many cameras, with AP Engaged. I also win off every set of lights 😂😂

Headlights:
The loaner doesn’t have matrix lights, mine does. I feel that the light on the loaner is much cleaner and evenly spread, where as mine has hotspots.

For what it's worth, my company MS is up for replacement this year and the truly terrible headlamps are one of the reasons I'll be out of it. It still boggles me that a hundred grand car which is exceptional in so many areas is disappointingly rubbish in so many others.

If I could upgrade the LEDs I have now it'd give me pause, but I've only come across people tinkering with the later matrix setup. And this is something which may not even address the low light level, weird banding and lack of peripheral throw.

Reactions: Carson Lohr