Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P- . What is it, how to order it, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is just a software change, pretty much all of us agree on that. My personal opinion is there are only a few AWD's that fall outside the envelop to be able to handle Performance levels of current reliably. That could change with future generations of SiC MOSFETs but currently, the yield is negatively affected if the specs are too stringent. In any case, changing your P3D- to an AWD would be simple with no downside to Tesla other than the lost revenue consisting of the price difference between the two models. (since they have a surplus of P3D capable units relative to market demand).

By not offering it yet they create demand for the new model. Beginning of Q3 there was a worry of decreased US demand
This could have been planned well in advance

The software unlock does not help sales at all and in some rare cases may take away from new sales ; it is a revenue boost they will save till needed
Maybe end of Q4; maybe start of 2020

Update: In a prior post, I reported I set up a service request, via the app, for a software update. In the text of that request, I asked for the "P" flash. After three days, I just received the long-awaited reply that came in via text msg. Here it is...

"Hi, this is John with Tesla Service. My apologies but it isn't possible to upgrade the Long Range Model 3 to a Performance Model 3. The vehicle would have had to have been built as a Performance vehicle. May I cancel your appointment?"

Of course, I replied pointing "John" to the TMC reports, otherwise. Will update, if I receive an update.

Update: In a prior post, I reported I set up a service request, via the app, for a software update. In the text of that request, I asked for the "P" flash. After three days, I just received the long-awaited reply that came in via text msg. Here it is...

"Hi, this is John with Tesla Service. My apologies but it isn't possible to upgrade the Long Range Model 3 to a Performance Model 3. The vehicle would have had to have been built as a Performance vehicle. May I cancel your appointment?"

I'm not sure why people keep thinking the level 1 support or service dudes at Tesla have any clue whatsoever what's possible or how anything works.

Ask 5 of em you'll get 5 different answers on almost any question.

I'm not sure why people keep thinking the level 1 support or service dudes at Tesla have any clue whatsoever what's possible or how anything works.

Ask 5 of em you'll get 5 different answers on almost any question.

Probably true, but didn't hurt to ask. This particular level 1 raised the question up to management who is looking into the matter, he reported back.

Attachments

• 511310AC-5E76-42AC-B5F6-0B8D5170ACA3.jpeg
    511310AC-5E76-42AC-B5F6-0B8D5170ACA3.jpeg
    541 KB · Views: 97
Hello everyone,

Just wanted to give a heads up to anyone looking at buying a P3D-. We just picked one up on Friday. I asked our salesperson if all the performance software was installed, including track mode and he told us that it was.

When we got home I couldn't find track mode anywhere and our vehicle was listed as LR AWD in the APP and on our vehicle screen. No red bar below "dual motor" even thought it has the correct emblem on the trunk.

We opened a chat session and they confirmed that we do not have any performance software loaded. They advised us to contact our delivery center for a solution.

Does anyone know if this update can be downloaded from home or will we need to drive out to service center?

Thanks

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier
Hello everyone,

Just wanted to give a heads up to anyone looking at buying a P3D-. We just picked one up on Friday. I asked our salesperson if all the performance software was installed, including track mode and he told us that it was.

When we got home I couldn't find track mode anywhere and our vehicle was listed as LR AWD in the APP and on our vehicle screen. No red bar below "dual motor" even thought it has the correct emblem on the trunk.

We opened a chat session and they confirmed that we do not have any performance software loaded. They advised us to contact our delivery center for a solution.

Does anyone know if this update can be downloaded from home or will we need to drive out to service center?

Thanks

They will probably just do it while it's parked at home using an over-the-air update.

When I talked to my delivery contact I specifically asked for the software to be installed when I picked it up. We'll see if that's true at 2pm today.

Did it have the Dual Motor Badge with the red underline on the back bumper?

I have seen at least 1 (and i think 2) reports of it being enabled overnight the first night the car was home. Let us know how it goes and enjoy your ride!

When I talked to my delivery contact I specifically asked for the software to be installed when I picked it up. We'll see if that's true at 2pm today.

Did it have the Dual Motor Badge with the red underline on the back bumper?

I have seen at least 1 (and i think 2) reports of it being enabled overnight the first night the car was home. Let us know how it goes and enjoy your ride!

I am taking my friend (which I referred) to pick up his P3 sleeper tomorrow evening at local center. Let’s see how it goes.

Mine is being delivered this afternoon! Hope they left the dual motor badge off of the back.
If not, you can easily take it off. There’s a thread somewhere on recommended procedure. When I got my Stealth last September, there were no badges. I got my badge at the service center in February and elected to self install. I was able to spell something unique with the letters “dualmotor “. That’s another option if you want a personalized badge. My top reject was “mad toro”. Probably would have used that if car was red or black.

Mine is scheduled for pickup at the Springfield NJ location next Weds.

I’ve heard good things about the Paramus NJ SC but haven’t heard anything at all about the Springfield SC. Would hate to find out that the roads around either site are under construction or that the setup was poorly done , etc.

Would appreciate hearing anyone’s comments about either site. I’m guessing I could switch locations if needed.

Thanks

Mine is scheduled for pickup at the Springfield NJ location next Weds.

I’ve heard good things about the Paramus NJ SC but haven’t heard anything at all about the Springfield SC. Would hate to find out that the roads around either site are under construction or that the setup was poorly done , etc.

Would appreciate hearing anyone’s comments about either site. I’m guessing I could switch locations if needed.

Thanks
I took delivery at Springfield back in October, when Model 3 deliveries were being cranked out as fast as possible. In fact, they were so crowded back then that the delivery area was being used by the detailers to prep the cars, so my delivery was done outside (in the rain). I believe things have settled down a bit since then, so I'm sure you'll be fine. The Springfield store is right off of route 22, which is relatively pothole free. I haven't been there in awhile, so I can't speak to local construction. Overall, it's a good location and you shouldn't run into major road quality issues.

Reactions: Rachmaninov
Just want to let you all know, I picked up my M3P- (or P3 sleeper) last night. It's amazing. It is listed on the window sticker as a Model 3 Performance with 18" aero wheels as an option. Drives just like the normal P3 I tested, except maybe a bit softer in the corners. It still out-handles my previous C6 Corvette. It's definitely around a 3-second 0-60. Paid $49,990 for white on black.

Just want to let you all know, I picked up my M3P- (or P3 sleeper) last night. It's amazing. It is listed on the window sticker as a Model 3 Performance with 18" aero wheels as an option. Drives just like the normal P3 I tested, except maybe a bit softer in the corners. It still out-handles my previous C6 Corvette. It's definitely around a 3-second 0-60. Paid $49,990 for white on black.

@KY - Congrats. I picked up the same configuration last Saturday.