Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P- . What is it, how to order it, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update: In a prior post, I reported I set up a service request, via the app, for a software update. In the text of that request, I asked for the "P" flash. After three days, I just received the long-awaited reply that came in via text msg. Here it is...

"Hi, this is John with Tesla Service. My apologies but it isn't possible to upgrade the Long Range Model 3 to a Performance Model 3. The vehicle would have had to have been built as a Performance vehicle. May I cancel your appointment?"

Of course, I replied pointing "John" to the TMC reports, otherwise. Will update, if I receive an update.

Update #2 (Note: My original request included my VIN and that my LR AWD was delivered three weeks ago)

This just in from the Tesla rep I was chatting with Closing the loop on this (my) investigation -

"We looked into the thread and it looks like the situation where it occurred was because the vehicle purchased was supposed to be a performance model but it wasn't configured correctly. They configured it properly to a performance model. There was no upgrade that was performed. We looked further into it and confirmed it is not a possible upgrade.

Sorry it's not the news you were looking for. I'll go ahead and cancel your appointment with your permission."

My Reply

"I guess so. By chance did your manager have a sense if Tesla is considering the flash upgrade as it doesn't appear hardware is required to upgrade the recently delivered LR AWD to M3P- status. Thanks for letting me know, John!"

Last edited:
FWIW I had an interesting chat with a Tesla rep about my stealth car to be delivered in 8 days. It was coming from Vegas to Denver, so I said if it gets here sooner I’d be ok with taking delivery as soon as Thursday. The rep told me that although it’s in Vegas, it first needs to be shipped to the factory before it can be sent to Denver. Interesting and makes me wonder if that means it was a standard LR AWD that is getting upgraded at the factory. Seems to support a simple software flash at the service center isn’t all that’s required to unlock the performance upgrades.

Followed up with Tesla today to ask a separate question and decided to poke a little further on the issue of the car getting shipped from Vegas to the factory before it gets shipped to me in Denver. The rep said she didn't know for sure, but she thought it was because of logistics and said often cars need to be sent to the factory to consolidate loads and streamline the process. Seems reasonable to me. She also looked up the VIN for me (not appearing in my account) and told me the car shows 3 miles (was concerned about potentially being a return or demo). Anyone think that story doesn't hold up? I'm just concerned I'm going to let my beloved MR car go, and then something weird will happen next week when I get the new car that will make me regret upgrading.

Update #2 (Note: My original request included my VIN and that my LR AWD was delivered three weeks ago)

This just in from the Tesla rep I was chatting with Closing the loop on this investigation -

"We looked into the thread and it looks like the situation where it occurred was because the vehicle purchased was supposed to be a performance model but it wasn't configured correctly. They configured it properly to a performance model. There was no upgrade that was performed. We looked further into it and confirmed it is not a possible upgrade.

Sorry it's not the news you were looking for. I'll go ahead and cancel your appointment with your permission."

My Reply

"I guess so. By chance did your manager have a sense if Tesla is considering the flash upgrade as it doesn't appear hardware is required to upgrade the recently delivered LR AWD to M3P- status. Thanks for letting me know, John!"

How does this close the investigation? All the answers you're going to get from lower or mid-level support are going to be as expected - they're not going to do this and "it's not possible" because it's not something Tesla corporate is allowing yet, otherwise we would all have this available to us. Some reps may even know it's planned but aren't going to reveal that information to the public as it could jeopardize their job. The investigation is about whether this is possible physically or how much is actually involved to make it feasible. I don't think any of us are going to get answers as to whether this will be available until it's actually available - unless someone lurking around the internet has actual inside info on it. Tesla is pretty tight lipped about upcoming updates and features for many reasons which are understandable.

I think we're just at a point where we aren't going to gain any further information about it from Tesla themselves and our best option is just to sit and wait and hope that it becomes a possibility.

How does this close the investigation? All the answers you're going to get from lower or mid-level support are going to be as expected - they're not going to do this and "it's not possible" because it's not something Tesla corporate is allowing yet, otherwise we would all have this available to us. Some reps may even know it's planned but aren't going to reveal that information to the public as it could jeopardize their job. The investigation is about whether this is possible physically or how much is actually involved to make it feasible. I don't think any of us are going to get answers as to whether this will be available until it's actually available - unless someone lurking around the internet has actual inside info on it. Tesla is pretty tight lipped about upcoming updates and features for many reasons which are understandable.

I think we're just at a point where we aren't going to gain any further information about it from Tesla themselves and our best option is just to sit and wait and hope that it becomes a possibility.

Clarification: Closing the loop on "My" investigation. I'm still hopeful something will break!

Followed up with Tesla today to ask a separate question and decided to poke a little further on the issue of the car getting shipped from Vegas to the factory before it gets shipped to me in Denver. The rep said she didn't know for sure, but she thought it was because of logistics and said often cars need to be sent to the factory to consolidate loads and streamline the process. Seems reasonable to me. She also looked up the VIN for me (not appearing in my account) and told me the car shows 3 miles (was concerned about potentially being a return or demo). Anyone think that story doesn't hold up? I'm just concerned I'm going to let my beloved MR car go, and then something weird will happen next week when I get the new car that will make me regret upgrading.

It makes total sense. I've worked in logistics and a lot of times this is just done because it works out cheaper. Rather than just re-consigning it to a certain carrier for a direct route, it may be they have a truck that's already headed to Denver and they have space they need to fill it with and then carrier for the line haul from Denver to the destination is also cheaper. Freight is a very competitive industry and the cost savings add up when you do things in a manner such as this.

Reactions: MTSN

This just in from the Tesla rep I was chatting with Closing the loop on this (my) investigation -

My Reply

Tesla will not flash P software in AWD as of the moment. How many times people want to try that ? I future maybe. Why would they cannibalize sale of their own P models ?

Not all cars are made same by Tesla. They keep on changing the dynamics of manufacturing. Maybe now they figured out a way to make all motors P and software limit to AWD.

You get what you pay for and don’t get what you want sorry.

Just want to let you all know, I picked up my M3P- (or P3 sleeper) last night. It still out-handles my previous C6 Corvette. It's definitely around a 3-second 0-60.

Okay... i don't want to be that guy, but....... Unless your C6 had 100k miles on original shocks, some bald tires on it, and needed an alignment, your M3 cannot 'out-handle' it. The tires are just too small and the weight (albeit in the right place) is just too high. Now the performance 3 will out accelerate it to 60 on any given day, but no one should argue that.

Okay... i don't want to be that guy, but....... Unless your C6 had 100k miles on original shocks, some bald tires on it, and needed an alignment, your M3 cannot 'out-handle' it. The tires are just too small and the weight (albeit in the right place) is just too high. Now the performance 3 will out accelerate it to 60 on any given day, but no one should argue that.

Your avatar leads me to believe you may have some slight bias :D

and the weight (albeit in the right place) is just too high.

Are you sure about this? The subfloor mounted battery represents a large slice of the car's weight. Even as low as a Corvette is, I wouldn't be totally surprised if it's measured CoG is higher. I could see it going either way.

Does anyone have the actual stats on this? Couldn't find anything on the Model 3 and didn't find a measurement either. I read a magazine test with the C7 CoG at 17.5 inches, and I assume the C6 was slightly higher. Couldn't find specifics for that car either.

Are you sure about this? The subfloor mounted battery represents a large slice of the car's weight. Even as low as a Corvette is, I wouldn't be totally surprised if it's measured CoG is higher. I could see it going either way.

Does anyone have the actual stats on this? Couldn't find anything on the Model 3 and didn't find a measurement either. I read a magazine test with the C7 CoG at 17.5 inches, and I assume the C6 was slightly higher. Couldn't find specifics for that car either.

Re:handling. I found these 2 Motor Trend articles (both reference multiple models so you have to sort through the text) that show a P3D+ going around their figure 8 in 24.2 seconds at an average of 0.83g and the bad boy 2011 Z06 doing the same thing in 23.4 seconds at an average of 0.87 g. It's hard to say when the Tesla was tested and likely could be better now with enhancements to track mode. Regardless, it's almost silly to think an electric family car is being compared with some of the most raw and fastest cars in the world, and it's one of the reasons I was convinced to hop on the bandwagon.

2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range Dual Motor First Test Review - MotorTrend

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/chevrolet/corvette/2011/2011-chevrolet-corvette-z06-test/

Reactions: Phlier and byeLT4
Jason- Sorry about the rain but congrats on your new stealth car!

Thanks for also confirming that the SCs can properly update the software by delivery time.

Enjoy!!

Apparently (I've now lost count) they can properly update it post delivery as well (see Fb group post below). Service seems to be forgetting to put P software on the car before it rolls off the lot more often than one would expect for a car that costs this much...

P3D-situation.PNG

I meant high as in actual vehicle weight, not in location. 4072 pounds on the performance model according to Google.

Reactions: Scott7
Your avatar leads me to believe you may have some slight bias :D

:)

I can see that, but I just want to be realistic. I can't lie the Corvette was my first love. WAS.... I traded it 2 years ago, picked up a Hyundai Ioniq so I could start seriously saving for my new love, a Tesla. My screen name byeLT4 is an homage to my old flame but also meaning I'm here clearly prepping for the future and letting you go. I'd like to think I am still a car guy at heart, ICE or otherwise (I know.. :oops: ), so I felt I had to say something..... I'd love to be proven wrong. I believe a base C6 can do nearly .9 lateral Gs (I tried a search but could only find the Z51 specs), it's old but still no slouch in the twisties. I hear the 3 is very agile as well, so much so that I am now contemplating a 3P version over a Performance S. Decisions decisions, luckily my bank account says I have time to decide :p

Re:handling. I found these 2 Motor Trend articles (both reference multiple models so you have to sort through the text) that show a P3D+ going around their figure 8 in 24.2 seconds at an average of 0.83g and the bad boy 2011 Z06 doing the same thing in 23.4 seconds at an average of 0.87 g. It's hard to say when the Tesla was tested and likely could be better now with enhancements to track mode. Regardless, it's almost silly to think an electric family car is being compared with some of the most raw and fastest cars in the world, and it's one of the reasons I was convinced to hop on the bandwagon.

I'm fairly certain a C6Z weighing 3100 with 275/295 or some crazy wide tires can hit over 1g, however.......

If the M3P can do over .8 then I am actually all smiles. I could see how it could feel similar or, even... Better (gasp!!!).... Than a base C6. To the OP that made the comment, I'll have my crow now, lightly seasoned, please :D

Last edited:

My Reply

Final Update - Last reply from Mobile Service

“He said that there has been no communication from Tesla regarding any non performance to performance vehicle upgrades for Model 3. We looked around trying to find any documentation indicating any similar upgrades for Model 3 currently available that might have been interpreted differently by customers and we couldn't find any such info or means of charging for such an upgrade. My apologies John!”

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier