Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P- . What is it, how to order it, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Btw, not saying read back a few pages to be snarky. Lots of good info in this thread. Worth taking the time to read it

I have to say, I posted basically the same question yesterday. Then I realized it was answered many times over and is literally what this entire thread is about...

I thought my question would get flamed but instead everyone was so nice. Thanks for being so polite! And thanks for the suggestion to read the thread. I did so, and now I want one! Just not sure I can afford $50k...

It sounds like there's something similar to the P3D- from 2018. Any place I can find info on that car and try to grab one used?

Reactions: Phlier
I have to say, I posted basically the same question yesterday. Then I realized it was answered many times over and is literally what this entire thread is about...

I thought my question would get flamed but instead everyone was so nice. Thanks for being so polite! And thanks for the suggestion to read the thread. I did so, and now I want one! Just not sure I can afford $50k...

It sounds like there's something similar to the P3D- from 2018. Any place I can find info on that car and try to grab one used?
Well, I’ve got one... but not for sale! Theres a for sale section in this forum. You could watch that.

Our P3D- with a carbon fiber spoiler, installed without asking (mistake?) by the service center. I've read on TMC that the Service Center should also update the car profile to reflect the spoiler, which unlocks higher top speed (along with showing the spoiler on the vehicle display). 'zat true?

View attachment 440365

Congrats. You never know what you are gonna get with Tesla. Potpourri.

• Love
Reactions: john85775

If you are patient, perhaps you might be able to pick one up. There’s tesla’s Inventory which is out of date on their website, onlyusedtesla.com, and the usual used car websites (I personally like AutoList, which is an aggregator).

Thing is, Model 3 inventory is already pretty thin and the pricing in the used Tesla world is just plain stupid - you will find that dealers and private parties are pricing them based on looking at other listings, which are not optioned the same way ( in battery size, FSD, Performance, etc. ) it’s like a stucco box home in the desert sees another stucco box by the ocean for sale and prices the same.

Unfortunately the P3D- is a complete unicorn of a car. We are talking only a few thousand ever manufactured and sold by Tesla. So it’s a double whammy: low inventory (driving high resale prices) + rare car. I should also mention that the trade-in values from Tesla on their cars have no bearing in reality either, so the whole thing is maddening for a rational buyer.

My honest opinion is your current hope of getting one at a discount would be to buy an AWD LR (used or new) and hope that Tesla sells and upgrade unlock for performance.

Good luck.

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier
Thing is, Model 3 inventory is already pretty thin and the pricing in the used Tesla world is just plain stupid - you will find that dealers and private parties are pricing them based on looking at other listings, which are not optioned the same way ( in battery size, FSD, Performance, etc. ) it’s like a stucco box home in the desert sees another stucco box by the ocean for sale and prices the same.
This. Spot on. My experience looking for used Model 3's was exactly the same.

I should also mention that the trade-in values from Tesla on their cars have no bearing in reality either, so the whole thing is maddening for a rational buyer.
And this. I went ahead and traded in my car, but yeah... the amount they gave me for my trade in was laughable. But I've never wanted a vehicle so badly in my entire life, and FOMO about not being able to get a P3D- made me sign on the bottom line anyway.

When I spoke to an advisor Friday, I was told these models are made on purpose and regularly. That they make fewer performance models than anything else so they end up putting the higher spec motors on the long range. They were in her list as "Performance without Upgrade". In Fremont they had them in all colors except for white (sells out due to being free option now), and they varied by wheel type and interior. I got a MSM with 18" aeros and a black interior.

When I spoke to an advisor Friday, I was told these models are made on purpose and regularly. That they make fewer performance models than anything else so they end up putting the higher spec motors on the long range. They were in her list as "Performance without Upgrade". In Fremont they had them in all colors except for white (sells out due to being free option now), and they varied by wheel type and interior. I got a MSM with 18" aeros and a black interior.
That sounds much more likely than anything else I have heard.

I suspect the Stealth P may be outselling the normal P... and if that is the case, it will be with us for a long time because it is probably higher margin and easier logistically for Tesla.

It will be popular for sure and the main reason is because Tesla does not offer enough value in the P+. Most just want the extra acceleration for quick bursts on the street and for bragging rights. If the P+ had sport seats, magnetic ride suspension and a Heads Up Display they would have more folks cough up the $5-8k more for the P+.

IMO, I think they are giving away the extra acceleration at $2k. Here they are charging $6k for FSD, which doesn't even exist yet but they give away something that does exist (supercar levels of acceleration) for $2k. Don't get me wrong, it is great for us but really bad business if you think about it. Based on most of the feedback here I think many would even pay more for the P-, maybe $3,500-$5,000.

On Friday I ordered a M3P- with 19” wheels, MSM and white interior. I’m taking delivery on Thursday — can’t wait! I’ll be trading in my 2008 335i. When I test drove the P I couldn’t believe the performance.

When my sales rep searched there were about seven P-‘s available at the Fremont factory. Wasn’t hard to find one at all.

This forum has been really helpful over the past week while I’ve been researching. Thanks to all who’ve contributed!

Reactions: Scott7 and Phlier
On Friday I ordered a M3P- with 19” wheels, MSM and white interior. I’m taking delivery on Thursday — can’t wait! I’ll be trading in my 2008 335i. When I test drove the P I couldn’t believe the performance.

When my sales rep searched there were about seven P-‘s available at the Fremont factory. Wasn’t hard to find one at all.

This forum has been really helpful over the past week while I’ve been researching. Thanks to all who’ve contributed!
Congrats!

I'm a new guy, too. Well, kinda. ; )

I spent years reading and researching before finally buying. Took delivery on August 7th, and haven't stopped smiling since (I never knew that the muscles in your face that make you smile could actually get tired).

So picked up my P3D- on Friday. Have these issues. I believe we have 72 hours to report.

What do you guys say ? Ask for replacement glass and interior ? Tried to clean stain, but couldn’t in the interior on back passenger side.

Attachments

• 36087133-FAA7-4FFF-BFC5-BF49409107C4.jpeg
    36087133-FAA7-4FFF-BFC5-BF49409107C4.jpeg
    192 KB · Views: 132
  • 09DE6800-2336-46A3-A141-DF57AA72E214.jpeg
    09DE6800-2336-46A3-A141-DF57AA72E214.jpeg
    253.4 KB · Views: 119
  • 3EEEC4A8-E347-4846-B9C2-007FEF6EBEDD.jpeg
    3EEEC4A8-E347-4846-B9C2-007FEF6EBEDD.jpeg
    226.9 KB · Views: 122
  • CDBBCE27-233E-4FFB-A05B-46E135C8218E.jpeg
    CDBBCE27-233E-4FFB-A05B-46E135C8218E.jpeg
    740.7 KB · Views: 114
So picked up my P3D- on Friday. Have these issues. I believe we have 72 hours to report.

What do you guys say ? Ask for replacement glass and interior ? Tried to clean stain, but couldn’t in the interior on back passenger side.
O M G. That is truly horrible. I'm sorry you didn't spot that stuff before signing on the bottom line. I insisted on doing a thorough (took me 30 minutes, and I used a detailing inspection light) inspection of the car before signing the paperwork.

I would absolutely return that car. I'd give them two choices: Either replace the car, or invoke your right to return the vehicle within one week (isn't it a week?) or 1k miles. Chances are, they'll take the replacement option. I'd ask for a few k in free supercharger usage, too. I would *not* however, allow them to take the car into a body shop for repair.

Here I thought their fit and finish were getting better.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Adam3 and jboles
BTW, the delivery agent actually pushed back when I told her that I needed to inspect the car before signing papers. "The process is that we sign papers prior to allowing the purchaser to have access to the vehicle." I told her that the deal was completely off if I couldn't inspect the car prior to signing legally binding documents. She said, "Right this way.."

Reactions: super20g
BTW, the delivery agent actually pushed back when I told her that I needed to inspect the car before signing papers. "The process is that we sign papers prior to allowing the purchaser to have access to the vehicle." I told her that the deal was completely off if I couldn't inspect the car prior to signing legally binding documents. She said, "Right this way.."

I didn't have that experience. No pressure and we signed the papers after the inspection.

O M G. That is truly horrible. I'm sorry you didn't spot that stuff before signing on the bottom line. I insisted on doing a thorough (took me 30 minutes, and I used a detailing inspection light) inspection of the car before signing the paperwork.

I would absolutely return that car. I'd give them two choices: Either replace the car, or invoke your right to return the vehicle within one week (isn't it a week?) or 1k miles. Chances are, they'll take the replacement option. I'd ask for a few k in free supercharger usage, too. I would *not* however, allow them to take the car into a body shop for repair.

Here I thought their fit and finish were getting better.

Well there was no pressure and this is my second Tesla car. The guy who did delivery told me to send an email with pictures and he’ll do the needful. He also did delivery and paperwork for my first Tesla. So know him. My first car had console scratches all over and it was replaced. I did high level inspection and this is more detailed on the weekend.

This is just a rear full glass panel replacement and maybe interior top fabric or whatever it’s called replacement.

Replacement of whole car IMHO is a stretch but these issues need to be addressed. These don’t affect the performance of the car anyway though.

Well there was no pressure and this is my second Tesla car. The guy who did delivery told me to send an email with pictures and he’ll do the needful.

This is just a glass panel replacement and maybe interior top fabric or whatever it’s called replacement.

Replacement of whole car IMHO is a stretch but these issues need to be addressed.
I know going for a replacement vehicle is a bit over the top, but Tesla really needs to be punched in the mouth regarding their fit and finish issues, as it appears that asking nicely hasn't worked out very well.

It appears that Tesla is only going to up their game regarding such issues if it bites them in the pocket book. Returning a vehicle for unacceptable cosmetic issues isn't really that far of a stretch (in my book, at least), and lets them know that the consumer expects (or even demands) better from them.

But yeah... in my hands, that car would be going back to the dealer for either a new replacement vehicle or returned for refund of purchase price. No way I'd *ever* accept a car in that state as a "new car" delivery.

I know everyone has their own views on what they will/won't accept; I'm not trying to start an argument at all. This is just my opinion, and FWIW, it ain't gonna change. ; )

Reactions: Nrazar