Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P- . What is it, how to order it, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just note that @SanmanM3 apparently only bought an AWD, but ended up with a car with the red underline badge, a 980 motor, and the regular (non-Performance) Dual Motor software. Which makes it just a regular AWD, just like they were in 2018.

So he's kind of an outlier. He's got the old-style AWD 2018 with 980 motor (but made in July 2019) with a red underline badge.

It's possible, of course, that they've gone back to using 980 motors in AWD non-P vehicles (and the only mistake above was the wrong badge), but we'd need a picture of that!
Pic of what? The motor or car? 20190906_120950.jpg20190915_114619.jpgScreenshot_2019-09-23-10-40-15.png

No, you've provided what is needed...I meant we'd need a picture of the motor from something that definitely is a recent AWD (September 2019, non Performance). Yours appears to be a Performance vehicle with non-Performance software. Just a mistake. The mistake that exists depends on what you paid for (as outlined above: Mistake Option #1: You paid for Performance and did not get the software. Mistake Option #2: You did not pay for Peformance, but you got a Performance vehicle (without the software)).

As you have detailed elsewhere, you have the regular non-P Dual Motor software, and that is what you paid for. So it sounds like all you have is an extra red underline on your badge, and of course the "better" drive unit. (And that's why I was saying we'd need to see the motor from a recent non-P AWD - to make completely sure they still come with 990 motors (as they have for most of this year). That would just double confirm you have a Performance vehicle (without the software to make it Performance).)

No, you've provided what is needed...I meant we'd need a picture of the motor from something that definitely is a recent AWD (September 2019, non Performance). Yours appears to be a Performance vehicle with non-Performance software. Just a mistake. The mistake that exists depends on what you paid for (as outlined above: Mistake Option #1: You paid for Performance and did not get the software. Mistake Option #2: You did not pay for Peformance, but you got a Performance vehicle (without the software)).

As you have detailed elsewhere, you have the regular non-P Dual Motor software, and that is what you paid for. So it sounds like all you have is an extra red underline on your badge, and of course the "better" drive unit. (And that's why I was saying we'd need to see the motor from a recent non-P AWD - to make completely sure they still come with 990 motors (as they have for most of this year). That would just double confirm you have a Performance vehicle (without the software to make it Performance).)
Hers what happend....at first I wanted a different color combination...then I settled on black/black....because Tesla gave me the $750 credit on the color for taking from their inventory...BUT...the salesperson told me in order to take this car they would have to "modify" the software (take the performance off)....I was told I would get an email....which I did (pic below)...it wasn't until a few days after I noticed the line below the emblem....and I put 2 +2 together....thats what led me to the forum.Screenshot_2019-09-20-18-41-02.png

Hers what happend....at first I wanted a different color combination...then I settled on black/black....because Tesla gave me the $750 credit on the color for taking from their inventory...BUT...the salesperson told me in order to take this car they would have to "modify" the software (take the performance off)....I was told I would get an email....which I did (pic below)...it wasn't until a few days after I noticed the line below the emblem....and I put 2 +2 together....thats what led me to the forum.View attachment 458269
So this car actually was a PeD....I didnt know they could switch back and forth....hmmm

So this car actually was a PeD....I didnt know they could switch back and forth....hmmm

Makes sense. Yes, they gave you a P3D-, and converted it to AWD. They are switchable - though now it is not possible to switch an AWD -> P3D. It is only possible to do P3D- => AWD.

Good deal for you anyway.

In 2018, both switch directions were possible. Same motor was used in both.

We don't know that you can't use the 990 motor in the P3D-, but there is no evidence to date that it is possible. The 990 motor can produce more power than it does in an AWD (there's some examples in Europe with special software being applied, to what I think are 990 motors), but in any case the point is that it is distinctly different hardware than the 980 motor in the Performance.

Makes sense. Yes, they gave you a P3D-, and converted it to AWD. They are switchable - though now it is not possible to switch an AWD -> P3D. It is only possible to do P3D- => AWD.

Good deal for you anyway.

In 2018, both switch directions were possible. Same motor was used in both.

We don't know that you can't use the 990 motor in the P3D-, but there is no evidence to date that it is possible. The 990 motor can produce more power than it does in an AWD (there's some examples in Europe with special software being applied, to what I think are 990 motors), but in any case the point is that it is distinctly different hardware than the 980 motor in the Performance.
Is that bc Tesla won't allow it...or bc its impossiblele to do? What's the catch? If Tesla was going to allow the 18" wheels to get to the street with the Performance version...why can't they switch back? Also...how do I know if its been lowered?

Anyone know what the height difference is from the LR DM to the P3D?

There is no difference. The P3D- and the AWD are identical vehicles as far as we know, except for the rear drive unit. (I'm not referring to the P3D+ here since it's not relevant to this discussion - of course that is 10mm lower.)

What's the catch?

AWD: 990 drive unit
P3D: 980 drive unit

That's the catch. In 2018 there was no catch. They seemed switchable either way. There is debate on how switchable they were, due to drive unit variation, but that's a debate that is irrelevant here.

Last edited: