Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P- . What is it, how to order it, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I agree with the rest of your post when you say that is not just a software upgrade it sounds quite silly especially since 2018 awd models have identical drive motors and it has never been proven that the different rear motor costs more or is any better at all outside of software

The biggest performance difference is in the front motors and those parts are identical in the awd and the p models

Tesla has even downgraded stealths and sold them for $2k less as awd in multiple posted examples so if the parts were worth more Telsa would not do that

Hi everyone,

I recently started browsing this forum because I took a test drive in a model 3 performance a few weeks ago. Now I have a performance stealth in blue coming next week. I didn't even know these were rare. I just told the guy I want a performance but without the 20in rims because I am in the northeast. He sent me an email with 3 available. The next day all three links stopped working and he told me they were all reserved.

Last week he sent me an email link to a blue one that was available so I jumped on it. Now I am already looking at accessories...

Whats everyone's opinion, should i pay cash or use a loan? Should I finance through Tesla?

Whats everyone's opinion, should i pay cash or use a loan? Should I finance through Tesla?
Obviously your own personal finances should drive that decision - but what I did was finance through Tesla while shopping for lower rates then used their 'price match' program where they send me a check for the difference in interest over the life of the loan. I then paid off the loan, all in the course of a month - so I netted about $800.

See... I didn't even know they price matched. Your logic is solid. Tesla has 3.5 right now. I can prob do better but I would let them pay the difference.

Thank you,

Did you get 3.5 by filling out the application or is that just what the website says?

I ask because if you qualify for a better rate from the bank they use the rate can come back lower than the website shows (happened to me, with a much lower rate than what the website stated at the time I applied)

I'm guessing you get the regular brakes with 18" wheels. Which would be fine for me because they are more than adequate for driving on public roads considering that will all the help from regenerative braking, you would have to be driving like an idiot to overheat the OEM brakes. The regular brakes are not inferior to the performance brakes until you approach the thermal limits by driving like an idiot.

I'm guessing you get the regular brakes with 18" wheels. Which would be fine for me because they are more than adequate for driving on public roads considering that will all the help from regenerative braking, you would have to be driving like an idiot to overheat the OEM brakes. The regular brakes are not inferior to the performance brakes until you approach the thermal limits by driving like an idiot.
Yes it's the regular brakes

Other than underline badge under "dual motor", is there any other way to tell a stealth P from a LR AWD? Someone mentioned something might be listed in one of the menus on the screen?

On the screen menu the Red Underline will also be under the words Dual Motor ; same as on the back of the car
Under the car driving menu ; sub menu for acceleration. P models will have options of Sport and Chill
AWD regular will have options of Standard and Chill.
Or see if track mode is listed at all in the menu as an option, even if not selectable.

Reactions: Mr. Burrito
FYI

For all the new forum members you should know that shiftkenny not only started this thread but was instrumental in helping make a lot of people aware of the Stealth and actually helping them get one.

If you don’t already have a reference code you might consider using his so that both of you gain 1000 free supercharger miles.
Thank you so much for this. I'm just trying to help. I'm here to spread whatever knowledge I have for this and referrals are just the kicker. . I know schroeder(sp?) Also has been good in keeping the thread updated. Thanks

Side note update, tesla is supposedly going to start making u.s M3 within the month. What they make no one knows. We will soon find out if they are making for east central or west coast. I suggest to keep active here and read the other threads as people spill info in different threads. Also those who asked me for Cali builds. There are none at the moment.

Other than underline badge under "dual motor", is there any other way to tell a stealth P from a LR AWD? Someone mentioned something might be listed in one of the menus on the screen?
When you press the “T” at the top of the screen you’ll be taken to a menu with a picture of the car, the VIN, etc. There will be a description of the car there, if it says dual motor with a red underline it’s a performance car; if it says long range dual motor and has no underline, it’s a LR AWD.

Reactions: Mr. Burrito
While I agree with the rest of your post when you say that is not just a software upgrade it sounds quite silly especially since 2018 awd models have identical drive motors and it has never been proven that the different rear motor costs more or is any better at all outside of software

The biggest performance difference is in the front motors and those parts are identical in the awd and the p models

Tesla has even downgraded stealths and sold them for $2k less as awd in multiple posted examples so if the parts were worth more Telsa would not do that

This has been debated to death. Answer is nobody knows. To answer about AWD sold as P, many just needed software update. My conjuncture is that P can be sold as AWD, but AWD cannot be sold as P. Tesla knows in their system of what is sold. The reps in the store can also see which VIN are P.

The only thing confirmed by Elon on Twitter is that P models use the same AWD motors but the highest quality sigma motors are used in P.

Long story short - AWD folks are not going to get P level acceleration. If it could be done, they’d have done or offered it.

Went to the showroom and the SA i talked to knew all about the p3d- .. we looked through inventory .. many cars in the east coast .. (Chicago / Minneapolis / etc) ..

he is looking into what it would take for me to buy one and drive it back to WA ..

i asked if he knew whether it was software only that made the p3d- ..

he said it was a Performance drive train .. not the AWD drivetrain... it was hardware + software .. -- whether its the same parts but binned or different parts .. is something else ..

but he said they do not take an AWD and put the performance software on it .. -- the factory takes a performance car and make it stealth by not putting in the brakes, wheels, and rear spoiler.

i asked if he knew whether it was software only that made the p3d- ..

he said it was a Performance drive train .. not the AWD drivetrain... it was hardware + software .. -- whether its the same parts but binned or different parts .. is something else ..

but he said they do not take an AWD and put the performance software on it .. -- the factory takes a performance car and make it stealth by not putting in the brakes, wheels, and rear spoiler.

which goes to show how little the dudes in the showrooms know- since we've seen for a fact cars delivered as AWD being software flashed to Ps.... and we know from the parts catalog at least until early this year the hardware was identical on both AWD and P3D- cars

Incorrect. The rear drive unit is a different part number.