Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P- . What is it, how to order it, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m wondering how the fact that Tesla now has the “boost” upgrade for the non performance model 3 affects the previous “stealth” configuration production plans.

It might be a very profitable idea for Tesla to simply offer an 18 inch wheel option that fits the Performance hub/brake setup.

The $2k acceleration boost definitely replaced the $2k upgrade option for a stealth. The updated Tesla site has what we used to call the Stealth as the base performance model now. So the $2k upgrade for a stealth seems to be gone.

The $2k acceleration boost definitely replaced the $2k upgrade option for a stealth. The updated Tesla site has what we used to call the Stealth as the base performance model now. So the $2k upgrade for a stealth seems to be gone.
I don't think there was ever a $2k upgrade for stealth P3-, only for AWD (dual motor) long range.

I think the website has errors, let's wait a few days for them to fix it. It doesn't make sense now.

It could be errors or it could be on purpose.

I don't see how you could order the P3- from the website and it not come with Track Mode. That would imply there's another version of the software now but as we all know Stealth's have always come with Track Mode. But the way the site lists the PUP now makes it look like it doesn't. We'll have to wait and see for some people to take deliveries. My bet's that Stealth's will still come with Track Mode.

There's got to be a discount when not choosing the Performance Upgrade.
  • Performance Brakes
  • Carbon fiber spoiler
  • Lowered suspension
  • Aluminum alloy pedals
  • Increased top speed from 145mph to 162mph
  • Track Mode
All of that can't be a 'free' upgrade.

It's not.

"free upgrade" would have been if they'd listed the P3D- for 5k less, and let you check the Upgrade box without increasing the price.

This is the opposite of that.

Reactions: jjrandorin
It's not.

"free upgrade" would have been if they'd listed the P3D- for 5k less, and let you check the Upgrade box without increasing the price.

This is the opposite of that.

If the performance upgrade package isn't "free" then explain why the price doesn't increase

Performance without package.JPG

Performance with package.JPG

If the performance upgrade package isn't "free" then explain why the price doesn't increase

increase from what?

That's the same price the car WITH THE UPGRADE PACKAGE cost last month before there was an option to NOT get it.

They only thing that changed is tesla now allows you to REMOVE hardware for free.

You have this situation exactly backward from what actually happened.

increase from what?

That's the same price the car WITH THE UPGRADE PACKAGE cost last month before there was an option to NOT get it.

They only thing that changed is tesla now allows you to REMOVE hardware for free.

You have this situation exactly backward from what actually happened.

After a few days I’m not looking at this as an “upgrade”; paid or free. Tesla is selling “Street” performance or “Track” performance models. If you want to use this at the track they give you a higher speed, track mode and to ensure that they put on “proper” tires, rims, and brakes to achieve that. They're telling us we can have that OR the extended range the smaller rims etc. but still get the same 0-60 spec. From their point of view, longer range is as valuable as the items available in the “performance upgrade”.

Still don’t agree with their approach even though I see the (insane) logic behind it. What happens to someone who buys the non-upgrade option and wants to take it to the track later after getting way better rims and tires as well as some big ass 405mm Brembos?? Will Tesla unlock the higher top speed and track mode? Can this be changed by the user?

I won't believe the website is accurate until someone buys a Stealth off the site and at delivery pays the same price as Performance.
Then we could also figure out Track Mode.

And the car itself does not have more range ; it is the different rims and tires that give it more range. Also has worse stopping power and worse cornering due to the tire difference.

Until that day, I will go with my assumption the website is not accurate and will get adjusted at some point in the next month.

Reactions: jimmym1981
I won't believe the website is accurate until someone buys a Stealth off the site and at delivery pays the same price as Performance.
Then we could also figure out Track Mode.

And the car itself does not have more range ; it is the different rims and tires that give it more range. Also has worse stopping power and worse cornering due to the tire difference.

The wheels/tires are part of the car of course :)

The P3D- with PS4s swapped on will generally be better in both range and handling (and ~equal in braking distance) compared to the P3D+ by having the same width of the same tire without all the extra weight of the 20s

Until that day, I will go with my assumption the website is not accurate and will get adjusted at some point in the next month.

Given the change has remained there for about a week now, and the same change was made to Model Y your assumption seems...unfounded.

Reactions: i11matic
I agree and I think Tesla is just cashing in on the "speed" aspect of the cars and not necessarily the add-on features. We wanted to go Stealth but with the same price, why not get all the extra goodies and sell the rims to go back to the range? Do you think the bigger brakes/lowering causes any loss of range if you were to put the Gemini's back on?

I agree and I think Tesla is just cashing in on the "speed" aspect of the cars and not necessarily the add-on features. We wanted to go Stealth but with the same price, why not get all the extra goodies and sell the rims to go back to the range? Do you think the bigger brakes/lowering causes any loss of range if you were to put the Gemini's back on?

If (and it's an IF) the Geminis fit over the bigger brakes, and if you fitted it back with LRR tires, then you'd be back to the original range (or even slightly better thanks to the lowering). The loss of range is from the higher rolling resistance and worse aero on the bigger wheels and sportier tires.

This is really interesting, and quite the bummer for me and other NJ owners who were hoping to take advantage of the upcoming $5k tax credit on a stealth performance. That only applies to vehicles with an MSRP under $55k.

I'll keep an eye on it over the next few months given that Board of Public Utilities won't implement the rebate until "by July 2020" comes and goes - maybe they will drop the price $2k on the P3D+, hard to say. But looks like I might be going back to the used market to find my car.

If (and it's an IF) the Geminis fit over the bigger brakes, and if you fitted it back with LRR tires, then you'd be back to the original range (or even slightly better thanks to the lowering). The loss of range is from the higher rolling resistance and worse aero on the bigger wheels and sportier tires.
From every prototype I saw, I saw the red calipers on every wheel. My assumption is that they would fit. I’m guessing they are the same brakes on the M3 which fit on everything besides the 18.” Fingers crossed because I do not want these damn 21” wheels in Chicago winters. Lol

Given the change has remained there for about a week now, and the same change was made to Model Y your assumption seems...unfounded.

Possibly but there is zero precedence for this being the correct new way and I fail to see how it makes any sense.
Telsa clearly has increased cost for the wheels, tires, brakes ; is foolish to try and sell far fewer at greater margin in this manner.
As is hardly anyone would order it without the "free" extras.
The smarter thing to do is to figure out what the added bits actually cost Telsa and subtract them from the base Performance as the new performance price with the optional extras costing additional. The profit on the car is then maintained either way and percentage wise profit margin is higher for every base Performance they sell.

And there is precedence in summer of 2019 for a performance with 18's being on the website not showing any price difference. You could not order it online but when sold they were sold for less as you are aware. But when it first went on the site it was showing the exact same cost, same as now.

I will wait until one actually delivers or the website changes ; whichever happens first.

Maybe with everyone bothering SAs about stealths they decided to put the option out there and see how many takers there are at full price? Even if a small percentage of performance buyers go for it, that has to be good for their bottom line. If it doesn't work out, down the road they could always say it was a mistake.....

I've heard/read a few people go with the "it's a mistake" mindset, and for the first day that wouldn't have surprised me. However, it's been nearly a week at this point. You think an error like that would go undetected for this long?

I agree but is not the first time Telsa did something head-scratching. So either way mistake or not a mistake this is just another head scratcher from Telsa.

I think important to note it is still early in the quarter so actual production for Performance model 3's for the US probably has not begun yet this year.

Possibly but there is zero precedence for this being the correct new way

There kinda is though.

For a while in 2018 they offered the P3D- and the P3D+ with the P3D- being $5000 cheaper.

Eventually they removed the P3D- and simply lowered the P3D+ to the same price. Essentially making the "upgrade" package free (but mandatory).

The change now is simply giving you a way to to NOT take that upgrade package if you don't want it- with no change to price either way.

Telsa clearly has increased cost for the wheels, tires, brakes

Which are already baked into the price- since this is the P3D+ price no matter which config you pick.

The smarter thing to do is to figure out what the added bits actually cost Telsa and subtract them from the base Performance as the new performance price with the optional extras costing additional.

They already tried that in 2018 and decided it didn't work for them.

So now they're going the other way.

The profit on the car is then maintained either way

In this case the profit on the P3D+ is maintained since the price didn't change. The profit on the P3D- is presumably higher than it was before.

And there is precedence in summer of 2019 for a performance with 18's being on the website not showing any price difference. You could not order it online

THAT was pretty obviously a mistake- since as you note you couldn't actually order one, and it was removed pretty shortly after (much more quickly than this change- and it was unique to the 3 rather than ALSO added to the Y as this change was)

I see the argument and admit I am puzzled myself.
It just doesn't sound like common business sense to invent an option that has next to no chance of someone ordering it.
Is higher profit yes but only if they actually order.
If they go this route than it will only lead to them cancelling it all together months later due to lack of buying interest.

Only logic that makes any sense to me is if this is purely done at request of many sales reps complaining about customers asking for the Stealth all the time and those customers choosing to wait for one later rather than order now.

Let's say the extra parts internally cost Telsa $2.5K more if they charge $2.5K less for the one without the extras they still make the exact same profit in dollars per sale and they increase their profit margin a good deal on anyone that pays $2.5K less.
And the big difference is they would actually sell some them at that price.

An increase from $2K for the performance stealth was overdue ; but this is taking the good idea of a price increase to a terrible idea of an uninteresting product.

ADD: None of the logic I have read explains at all about Track Mode. Why would that all of sudden be removed. Only logically answer for that is a website mistake. And if that is a mistake than why can the pricing also not be a mistake?