Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P wheel swap warranty question (and a couple of others too)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is not a huge difference between the LR and P front brakes. Basically a slightly larger rotor size. See the wiki below for in depth info.

Before I get into my personal perspective, I'll preface with my Tesla experience. I've bought a Model Y LR, Model 3 LR and Model S LR. They have all been purchased within the last 9 months. Notice a pattern?

On every one of these I debated between going with the P version or not. I could have easily bought the P version of each model. For me it wasn't about the price. It was basically because I didn't think they were the extra money. Other than a bit more power (or lot more with the S Plaid), most of the stuff was just bolt-on baubles I could add myself. The one area where that isn't the case is track mode which I wouldn't use much anyway.

The decision was even easier for the 3/Y as I couild add acceleration boost. That was the only thing I wanted out of the performance "upgrades" you got with the P model. Excuse my sarcasm when I say "OOOOooo red colored brake calipers. Oh yeah, a stuck on rear wing. OMG - look at those metal brake pedals. Hell yeah, I want me some of those heavy ass big, non-forged wheels." Maybe if I was in a 10th grade shop class that might have been my idea of performance upgrades.

So when I looked at it all, the best course for the 3/Y was just to get acceleration boost. I have pretty good ride quality and only give up a little off the line to about 25 mph acceleration capability. For me, a total non-issue. I don't feel I missed out at all on the P versions. The only LR version seriously lacking vs the P version in acceleration is S LR and running high 10 second quarter miles is a hell of a fast street car anyway.

I can assure you if you mas the throttle on the M3 LR and you are disappointed, you will feel the same way with the M3P. The car is seriously quick. Very few things are going to keep up with the M3 LR on the street other than another Tesla unless you spend 2-3 times the price. Every time I hit a pothole I am reminded how happy I am that I don't have those horrendous wheels and how badly they impact the range. Every time my wife drives the car, I don't am thankful we don't have them easy because they would be curbed to hell just like all the demo performance cars I saw.

I have no FOMO at all. If I did, I would what until the next version came out. And the next. And the next. The performance models are the ones to be more likely see the greatest depreciation as they matter most when they are the best. When the new P model comes out, yours is yesterday's news. While it may still be a fine car, if you bought it because you wanted the "best", then you no longer have it.

When I ordered my S LR, I think the Plaid was 40-50k more. I made a decision to pass on it, and buy the Y LR and the S LR instead. At the time the diferreence between the Y LR and P was 8k. Easy choice to save the 8k and give back 2k to buy boost. When I ordered the 3 LR, same delta of 8k. Again easy choice to buy the LR and add boost. Elon has said they will be rolling out track mode to the cars with Boost. Who knows how long since it is on Elon time but it should be coming. I'll take the money I saved and invest in Tesla stock or sometihing else. Maybe in a few years the savings will buy me another Tesla. I think currently the only model it makes sens to buy the P version of is the Y. The delta is just too close.

As others have said, you get used to the acceleration pretty quickly. I thought my 3 LR stock was a lot slower than my Y with boost. On paper they are pretty close. When I ran Dragy on it to hard numbers it was actually quicker. I am already used to the Insane mode in my S LR which does 0-60 in about 3.1 seconds (factoring in rollout). So if you compare it to the M3P in similar terms the 3P is 3.1 seconds and the S LR is ~2.8 seconds. At some point, the P, LR, or even Plaid will start to feel slow.

So if you want the P, get the P. If not the LR with boost is almost as quick and better on bad roads. Keep in mind that if you use all the off the line acceleration Teslas have you are going to eat through tires. The high, instant torque, is a recipe for tire destruction. A friend of mine chewed through the tires on his P in 8k miles. He is spending more per miles on tires than energy.

Heck, the base 3 LR is a quick car. I had a friend who bought it and still hasn't added boost. He said he is saving that option for a year or 2 later when he wants to feel like he has a "new car" again. I can understand that approach.

Enjoy whatever 3 you buy. I think they are all good choices.
I just got home from a test drive at the local Tesla store. They had just sold their demo M3P but let me drive the MYP with the 21" wheels (I'd driven the M3LR a month ago). I took the MYP out on some roads with potholes to feel the drive. I thought the ride at 30-40 mph on less than great roads was actually pretty good. But what surprised me is that the ride seemed rougher on the highway at 70-80 mph. My wife and daughter enjoyed the ride though my wife was less than thrilled about the feedback from the roads. My daughter loved the acceleration. :)

The funny thing is that after the ride I decided to go ahead with the M3LR purchcase as opposed to the M3P. I don't like the 20s wheel size. I'm a bit jealous of the M3P acceleration but decided I'd go ahead and get the Acceleration Boost software upgrade. The Tesla store rep said that the other than the P sitting a 1/2 inch lower the suspensions are the same. And the braking seems about the same on both cars (understanding of course that the M3P brakes cool much better for hard driving situations, but realistically that's not really me).

The discussion here has been incredibly helpful, and I'm grateful for the time that people have taken to give me their perspective. I feel like I am now making a better informed and more confident buying decision. Thank you!

Reactions: Captain Ahab
The chances that Tesla denies some sort of warranty claim over aftermarket wheels and tires is effectively none. They cannot sensibly argue that wheels and tires cause any damage unless perhaps they were installed improperly, or things were damaged when installed (such as lug nut studs, perhaps).

That being said, you could also just get a set of factory 19" wheels and put a nice set of tires on them. You can use either the old version or new version, and you can have them powder-coated a different color if you don't like silver. This is what I've done with all four Performance models I've purchased; immediately sell the Performance wheels/tires and get the upgraded non-performance wheels, free to choose the tire I want.

Alternatively, the easiest to acquire/readily available Tesla-specific wheels are from T-Sportline or Martian Wheels. Though, there are plenty of options.

Ultimately, my suggestion is spring for the Performance and ditch the 20's.
I've decided on the M3LR now, but I love the idea of powder-coating the stock 19s to go with the Midnight Silver. I'll have to research how one goes about doing that. Thanks for the suggestions on wheels. That's just the sort of detail that is super helpful. Again, thanks!

I just got home from a test drive at the local Tesla store. They had just sold their demo M3P but let me drive the MYP with the 21" wheels (I'd driven the M3LR a month ago). I took the MYP out on some roads with potholes to feel the drive. I thought the ride at 30-40 mph on less than great roads was actually pretty good. But what surprised me is that the ride seemed rougher on the highway at 70-80 mph. My wife and daughter enjoyed the ride though my wife was less than thrilled about the feedback from the roads. My daughter loved the acceleration. :)

The funny thing is that after the ride I decided to go ahead with the M3LR purchcase as opposed to the M3P. I don't like the 20s wheel size. I'm a bit jealous of the M3P acceleration but decided I'd go ahead and get the Acceleration Boost software upgrade. The Tesla store rep said that the other than the P sitting a 1/2 inch lower the suspensions are the same. And the braking seems about the same on both cars (understanding of course that the M3P brakes cool much better for hard driving situations, but realistically that's not really me).

The discussion here has been incredibly helpful, and I'm grateful for the time that people have taken to give me their perspective. I feel like I am now making a better informed and more confident buying decision. Thank you!
@ZigZagZap Don't skip the M3P based on MYP ride quality. Model Y rides much worse in general, even MYLR rode much worse than M3P in my test drives of 2021 models last fall. I couldn't stand the Model Y ride yet I happily bought an M3P.

Also the only ride and handling difference between M3P and M3LR is the stock wheels+tires. Change those to match and they will ride the same.

By all means get the M3LR to save money. It's just as good as the M3P in typical driving. But don't let MYP ride quality scare you away from the M3P. :)

Side note: M3P used to come with a "lower suspension" but that's gone now, new M3P get the exact same suspension as M3LR currently. Even in 2021 models when the M3P was supposedly lower, the suspension really wasn't any better or different in any significant way, the ride and handling felt nearly identical to me after mentally factoring out the wheel+tire difference.

@ZigZagZap Don't skip the M3P based on MYP ride quality. Model Y rides much worse in general, even MYLR rode much worse than M3P in my test drives of 2021 models last fall. I couldn't stand the Model Y ride yet I happily bought an M3P.

Also the only ride and handling difference between M3P and M3LR is the stock wheels+tires. Change those to match and they will ride the same.

By all means get the M3LR to save money. It's just as good as the M3P in typical driving. But don't let MYP ride quality scare you away from the M3P. :)

Side note: M3P used to come with a "lower suspension" but that's gone now, new M3P get the exact same suspension as M3LR currently. Even in 2021 models when the M3P was supposedly lower, the suspension really wasn't any better or different in any significant way, the ride and handling felt nearly identical to me after mentally factoring out the wheel+tire difference.
Thanks for mentioning that. The Tesla sales rep said that the MYP would ride like the M3P, but he did note that they had 21" wheels vs 20". I think I'm good where I ended up but do appreciate you letting me know. That's good info.

Thanks for mentioning that. The Tesla sales rep said that the MYP would ride like the M3P, but he did note that they had 21" wheels vs 20". I think I'm good where I ended up but do appreciate you letting me know. That's good info.
Heh. A local Tesla rep told me the 3 and Y basically drive the same (they only had Model Y to test initially). Which...I'm sure to her they do...but they were WAY different to me. For sure the close family relationship is very apparent, by driving feel not just appearance, but to me the driving experience was still widely different.

To me the 3 is a joy to drive, whereas the Y is...not so much. For everything the Y gained in utility over the 3 - and it gained a lot! - it lost in driving satisfaction. This C&D review really matches how I feel about the Y vs 3.

To be fair to the Y it is legit quick, the packaging is great, and it has all the usual Tesla upsides. For hauling cargo or back seat passengers the Y is vastly better than the 3, and it really doesn't give up much speed either. It's just saddled with unrefined road manners, especially for a modern family car, and doesn't have the handling payoff to justify such poor ride quality. The 3 rides and handles better. As sedans/hatches/wagons usually do vs crossovers.

I'm definitely a connoisseur of how a car feels to drive. Many will tell you the 3 and Y drive almost the same, and to them it's true. Most people aren't connoisseurs of everything in life, and anyone with good practical or financial sense will avoid becoming a car connoisseur. 😂

Last edited:
Heh. A local Tesla rep told me the 3 and Y basically drive the same (they only had Model Y to test initially). Which...I'm sure to her they do...but they were WAY different to me. For sure the close family relationship is very apparent, by driving feel not just appearance, but to me the driving experience was still widely different.

To me the 3 is a joy to drive, whereas the Y is...not so much. For everything the Y gained in utility over the 3 - and it gained a lot! - it lost in driving satisfaction. This C&D review really matches how I feel about the Y vs 3.

To be fair to the Y it is legit quick, the packaging is great, and it has all the usual Tesla upsides. For hauling cargo or back seat passengers the Y is vastly better than the 3, and it really doesn't give up much speed either. It's just saddled with unrefined road manners, especially for a modern family car, and doesn't have the handling payoff to justify such poor ride quality. The 3 rides and handles better. As sedans/hatches/wagons usually do vs crossovers.

I'm definitely a connoisseur of how a car feels to drive. Many will tell you the 3 and Y drive almost the same, and to them it's true. Most people aren't connoisseurs of everything in life, and anyone with good practical or financial sense will avoid becoming a car connoisseur. 😂
LOL. Yeah, car connoisseurs and audiophiles both need deep pockets and an understanding spouse.

Reactions: Captain Ahab

I have to agree, C&D hit it pretty much right on the money with their review. I enjoy driving the 3 so much more than the Y it is surprising to me. After owning the Y first, I don't feel I gave up that much utility either. The only thing I really miss is the hatch but the trunk floor is pretty much the same size. Again Tesla is a little loose with the facts and talks about the rear volume with the seats folded down and then show the 3' trunk only volume without the seats folded down.

The 3 is markedly quieter inside than my Y was. Closing off the trunk makes a huge difference too. I can't quite fit as tall of things but that is so little of my trunk needs it isn't that important. I big stroller and a bunch of other stuff still fit in there.

The stock MY LR is too slow (for me) at 4.8 seconds 0-60. Add boost and it gets you to where you start with the M3 LR at ~4.2. Add boost to the M3 LR and it gets you to about the MYP's times of about 3.7-3.8 seconds (with rollout). The 3 LR w/boost is definitely quicker than any of the current MY variants as the speeds increase than the MYP.

I think I enjoy driving our M3 LR w/boost more than my refreshed most of the time which is in city driving. The LR is more than quick enough to get the jump on almost anything from a light. So much more maneuverable and it just feels tighter in cut and thrust traffic. Living where I live now, and if I had to choose the S or the 3, I'd take the 3 even though I really love the S and think overall it is a much better car. In dense city driving, the S's size is a pretty big liability.

As for spouses, I thank God every day I have an understanding and forgiving spouse especially when it comes to cars and motorcycles.

Reactions: tm1v2
I have to agree, C&D hit it pretty much right on the money with their review. I enjoy driving the 3 so much more than the Y it is surprising to me. After owning the Y first, I don't feel I gave up that much utility either. The only thing I really miss is the hatch but the trunk floor is pretty much the same size. Again Tesla is a little loose with the facts and talks about the rear volume with the seats folded down and then show the 3' trunk only volume without the seats folded down.

The 3 is markedly quieter inside than my Y was. Closing off the trunk makes a huge difference too. I can't quite fit as tall of things but that is so little of my trunk needs it isn't that important. I big stroller and a bunch of other stuff still fit in there.

The stock MY LR is too slow (for me) at 4.8 seconds 0-60. Add boost and it gets you to where you start with the M3 LR at ~4.2. Add boost to the M3 LR and it gets you to about the MYP's times of about 3.7-3.8 seconds (with rollout). The 3 LR w/boost is definitely quicker than any of the current MY variants as the speeds increase than the MYP.

I think I enjoy driving our M3 LR w/boost more than my refreshed most of the time which is in city driving. The LR is more than quick enough to get the jump on almost anything from a light. So much more maneuverable and it just feels tighter in cut and thrust traffic. Living where I live now, and if I had to choose the S or the 3, I'd take the 3 even though I really love the S and think overall it is a much better car. In dense city driving, the S's size is a pretty big liability.

As for spouses, I thank God every day I have an understanding and forgiving spouse especially when it comes to cars and motorcycles.
My wife was a little unnerved by the the MYP acceleration (my daughter in the back seat loved it). It was definitely faster acceleration than anything I have driven before, but I didn't have a good gauge of how fast "very fast" really was. So your comment was very helpful. I'm also thrilled to hear your perspective on the M3LR vs the Y. I was never in the market for the Y but since that is what I drove yesterday and the only Tesla my wife has been in, I'm grateful for the comparison.

Just for reference, here are what acceleration times Car and Driver got for the MYP. I assume at full charge.

C/D TEST RESULTS
60 mph: 3.6 sec
100 mph: 9.1 sec
1/4 mile: 12.1 sec @ 113 mph
130 mph: 17.8 sec
150 mph: 29.5 sec
Results above omit 1-ft rollout of 0.3 sec.
Rolling start, 5–60 mph: 3.7 sec
Top gear, 30–50 mph: 1.4 sec
Top gear, 50–70 mph: 1.8 sec

I just ran my MY LR w/boost with a 79% carge and a cold battery pack. Here is the one and only run I got with my Dragy results which typically are highly accurate. C&D was using .3 seconds for rollout. If you use that my 0-60 time was 3.48. Dragy called it a 3.55 which bests their MYP run. Keep in mind that that the 3 will not be putting out peak power with less than a 95-100% state of charge and my battery wasn't warmed up. Potentially it would go probably .1 seconds better.

Take a look at my 30-70 mph time vs the MYP. If you add the 30-55 and the 50-70 you get ~3.2 and I am doing it under 3 seconds with less than a full charge.

0-60 3.78.png
30-70 2.92.png

Here is a great video where a guy with a M3 LR did acceleration runs from 100% charge to down where it doesn't really matter. You can see the entire thing but here is where he shows all the data.

If you want to see how a sub 3 second 30-70 mph time stacks up look at this link.

Here are some of the cars it will beat.

A little bit off topic from the original wheel focus but it really shows you what even the M3 LR w/boost is capable of. Pretty impressive performace out of a 50k car.