Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P wheel/tire switch to 18" with problems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I swapped out my Ubers last night with a set of VMR V802 wheels (which were custom ordered to match the center bore size of the car). After install, I took it for a drive to try to calibrate the new set, and I am getting a ticking sound from the rear wheels. It almost sounds like baseball cards stuck in the spoke of a bike. Anybody have any ideas what this could be? I removed the wheels and inspected the inside of them for scratching or rubbing, and I don't notice anything.

I've had the same experience as @DD27 with wheel weights that are too thick, or placed in a bad location, rubbing the caliper and making a sound like this. Not on my M3P but could happen on any car with snugly fit wheels over big brakes. I turned right around and pulled back into the shop to have them fix it.

On M3P PUP brakes the parking brake module in the rear (both sides) sticks out closest to the wheel barrel. With 18" wheels there's basically no room for weights in the rotation path of the parking brake. If your wheels have weights there that's likely the problem.

If you got your tires mounted and balanced locally, with the car on hand, go back to that shop and have them do it right. They shouldn't charge extra to fix their mistake.

If you bought tires premounted, or brought your wheels to a shop without the car on hand (so no visual / test fitting possible), then I'm not sure if you have any recourse. Might have to pay to get it redone. Tho if the shop/vendor promised they'd fit your exact car, then they should make this right.

Found the issue, and it is indeed the wheel weights. The parking brake module is what is rubbing against the weights. The wheels were bought from VMR wheels through European Auto Source. They are going to reimburse me for the wheel balance cost. I have an appointment with Discount Tire on Saturday. Just hoping they don't give me problems with doing it since they don't recognize this size as fitting my car.

So new information, went to discount tire yesterday, and along with the wheel weights being in the way of the parking brake solenoid, they also pointed out that my fronts are rubbing against my control arms. So issues not resolved with these stupid wheels

Attachments

• PXL_20221008_230332301.jpg
    PXL_20221008_230332301.jpg
    547.9 KB · Views: 140
  • PXL_20221008_223512440.jpg
    PXL_20221008_223512440.jpg
    509.9 KB · Views: 85
  • Informative
Reactions: mpgxsvcd and tm1v2
@tm1v2 what are your wheel dimensions again? And are you running spacers? You have a 2022 correct? There is a chance I am going to get a new set of wheels at 18 x 8.5 instead of 9.5, still running the 245/45/18 size tire. Just don't want to go through the same issues again.

@tm1v2 what are your wheel dimensions again? And are you running spacers? You have a 2022 correct? There is a chance I am going to get a new set of wheels at 18 x 8.5 instead of 9.5, still running the 245/45/18 size tire. Just don't want to go through the same issues again.
If the rear wheel-weight issue was corrected, these should fix the front control arm rubbing:

2pcs 3mm Hubcentric 5x4.5 and 5x4.75 Wheel Spacers (70.5mm bore) Compatible with Ford Cadillac Lincoln Mazda Chevy GMC Pontiac (5x114.3 and 5x120.7) Amazon.com

You’ll just want to make sure they also put the front wheel weights in a way that won’t interfere with the parking brake after your next rotation.

If the rear wheel-weight issue was corrected, these should fix the front control arm rubbing:

2pcs 3mm Hubcentric 5x4.5 and 5x4.75 Wheel Spacers (70.5mm bore) Compatible with Ford Cadillac Lincoln Mazda Chevy GMC Pontiac (5x114.3 and 5x120.7) Amazon.com

You’ll just want to make sure they also put the front wheel weights in a way that won’t interfere with the parking brake after your next rotation.
Thanks, EAS is sending me a new wheel at 18 x 8.5 to see if that fixes the control arm issue.

Reactions: DocHolliday
Thanks, EAS is sending me a new wheel at 18 x 8.5 to see if that fixes the control arm issue.
If you take a view of the wheel from a different angle than your pictures essentially 90° offset from the side so that you're looking at the control arm from the front or the back you can see what the problem is. 19 by 9.5 at that offset fits, so does 20 by 9.5 but when you go to 18 by 9.5 at 35 mm as the control arm curves it actually chews up the little bit of space on those other fitments and you end up with essentially a tangent just barely contacting. Either a 3 mm spacer or a 9 in wide wheel would work as solutions.