Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P - Who switched from a (true) sports car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Firstly I'd argue that none of those, save possibly Vette, are actually proper sports cars. All being hugely overgrown super-sports sedan with a far bigger focus on acceleration than dynamics

I'd argue that my 2 liter front-wheel-drive Renault is sportier in design and intent than they are

Anyway, the Tesla is obviously tremendously fast. My critiques are with the lack of interactivity and lack of rhythm. There's no power band that the driver has to keep on boil. No noise to set the gear change tempo. No heel-toe to dance with. No steering feel to judge the grip. etc. It's too point and shoot. Yes it's faster at covering ground but on twisty roads it's only half as engaging.

On the flip side, all these things make it a superior city / commuter car
If the question is about sport - sport is about numbers, Model 3 is fast not only on the straights. But if the sport is dancing with a car - it's just a different dance, one you're not yet used to. Otherwise, Miata is great for dancing - not sport (in stock form).

If the question is about sport - sport is about numbers, Model 3 is fast not only on the straights. But if the sport is dancing with a car - it's just a different dance, one you're not yet used to. Otherwise, Miata is great for dancing - not sport (in stock form).

Sport is NOT about numbers. Race is about results (=numbers). Sports is about fun.
A race car can be ugly as sin and uncomfortable as a cramp, but it's fine, because its primary objective is being fast.

The Miata is almost universally considered the quintessential modern SPORTS car, because even though it is not objectively fast, it is designed and built for fun in a sporting manner.

I've had several sports cars, and I'd say most would past the "true sports car" test referenced a few posts ago. I've had more Porsche 944 variants than anything else (944T's, 968's). That said......this car replaced an E60 generation M-Sport 535i with straight pipes and tuned to about 380 horsepower. Actually still have it, and took it on a few a couple of weeks ago.

Not really fair to compare it to the Porsches, half of which were race cars with full cages, spherical bearing suspensions, and stupid expensive dampers (as in $5000/set). Those absolutely handled better, but outside of a little bit of time before I caged the first one, no time on the street. The M3 seems somewhat on par with the two sport suspension optioned ones I have driven (M474 and M030 if anyone knows what that means), but it is more firm than the base suspensions. Of course the wheelbase will make them totally different.

Best comparison is the BMW. The M-Sport basically has the M5 suspension, but not the engine. And like I said, no cat downpipes and a tune for about 380hp. And the M3P absolutely feels more firm and go-kart like than the 5. The 5 is a lighter car, 3600 lbs, but the Tesla feels much lighter, and is much more fun to drive. An M3 would probably be a better comparison, as it is closer in size to the M3P. The 5's seats (the multi contour of whatever the option is called) are infinitely better than the M3P's. But the driving dynamics of the M3P blow away the 5.

Comparing it to a ponycar is, IMHO, laughable. I drove several when I worked for Ford, as I used to do engine development up there, most of the time it was for a Mustang engine. Had a 2000 GT. Those are all very, very soft compared to the M3P. I used to be really into Merkur XR4Ti's if anyone knows what those are. Even teh one I had with stiffer springs, Koni's, and PU bushings all around didn't handle as well as the M3P. It may be the best car i've owned to compare, as far as size and everything goes. It was very lightweight, 2900lbs, and I had it up to 330 horsepower. But again, it just didn't compare. Actually, I had a Mazdaspeed6 for a while, too. It may have felt most similar, appointment wise, but it felt very heavy compared to the Tesla, even though it weighed 500 fewer pounds.

I've never driven the Tesla on a track, and I'm not one to drive at twice teh speed limit, so I can't speak to the high speed stability. But for a street car, it is the most fun one I have ever owned, by a pretty wide margin. I'm not big on dual purpose cars, I tracked two of my Porsches as street cars, but generally prefer the safety of a cage and 6 point restraint on the track. So I can't really compare for that purpose.

Reactions: OUengineer
I've had several sports cars, and I'd say most would past the "true sports car" test referenced a few posts ago. I've had more Porsche 944 variants than anything else (944T's, 968's). That said......this car replaced an E60 generation M-Sport 535i with straight pipes and tuned to about 380 horsepower. Actually still have it, and took it on a few a couple of weeks ago.

Not really fair to compare it to the Porsches, half of which were race cars with full cages, spherical bearing suspensions, and stupid expensive dampers (as in $5000/set). Those absolutely handled better, but outside of a little bit of time before I caged the first one, no time on the street. The M3 seems somewhat on par with the two sport suspension optioned ones I have driven (M474 and M030 if anyone knows what that means), but it is more firm than the base suspensions. Of course the wheelbase will make them totally different.

Best comparison is the BMW. The M-Sport basically has the M5 suspension, but not the engine. And like I said, no cat downpipes and a tune for about 380hp. And the M3P absolutely feels more firm and go-kart like than the 5. The 5 is a lighter car, 3600 lbs, but the Tesla feels much lighter, and is much more fun to drive. An M3 would probably be a better comparison, as it is closer in size to the M3P. The 5's seats (the multi contour of whatever the option is called) are infinitely better than the M3P's. But the driving dynamics of the M3P blow away the 5.

Comparing it to a ponycar is, IMHO, laughable. I drove several when I worked for Ford, as I used to do engine development up there, most of the time it was for a Mustang engine. Had a 2000 GT. Those are all very, very soft compared to the M3P. I used to be really into Merkur XR4Ti's if anyone knows what those are. Even teh one I had with stiffer springs, Koni's, and PU bushings all around didn't handle as well as the M3P. It may be the best car i've owned to compare, as far as size and everything goes. It was very lightweight, 2900lbs, and I had it up to 330 horsepower. But again, it just didn't compare. Actually, I had a Mazdaspeed6 for a while, too. It may have felt most similar, appointment wise, but it felt very heavy compared to the Tesla, even though it weighed 500 fewer pounds.

I've never driven the Tesla on a track, and I'm not one to drive at twice teh speed limit, so I can't speak to the high speed stability. But for a street car, it is the most fun one I have ever owned, by a pretty wide margin. I'm not big on dual purpose cars, I tracked two of my Porsches as street cars, but generally prefer the safety of a cage and 6 point restraint on the track. So I can't really compare for that purpose.
Should have kept the Merkur ,what a classic. Nice collection of cars.

Reactions: 67King
It's horses for courses.

Model 3 Performance
City/everyday: 10/10
Touring: 7/10
Country roads: 5/10

Honda S2000
City/everyday: 5/10
Touring: 5/10
Country roads: 10/10

Megane RS cup-chassis
City/everyday: 6/10
Touring: 6/10
Country roads: 9/10

M-sport 135i 4 door hatch
City/everyday: 8/10
Touring: 8/10
Country roads: 7/10

Reactions: tm1v2
I owned many BMW's prior to a Tesla, most of which were a variant of the M3 or M5. I'll admit, I do (at times) miss the sound of an ICE and the excitement associated with shifting yourself.

However, most of the time, I really do not miss these things. There's also so many benefits to the 3 (AutoPilot for long road trips, cost of maintenance, cost of energy, convenience, etc) I would never go back.

If you feel the P3D+ is too soft, just upgrade to some MPP Sports Coilovers. They're effectively a KW V3 and should resolve your concerns. The P3D+ also runs relatively thin tires for the weight (benefits range), so upgrading to wider summer tires might also help (255's or so).

The Model 3 might not do everything great, but it does some things great, and nearly everything else good. I feel like the amount of compromise with the 3 is much less than you would get with basically anything else.

Admittedly I'm not native speaker. For me sport is about competition. Race is just type of sport. Fun is fun. Nothing wrong with it. Anyway, I got your point.
Sport is NOT about numbers. Race is about results (=numbers). Sports is about fun.
A race car can be ugly as sin and uncomfortable as a cramp, but it's fine, because its primary objective is being fast.

The Miata is almost universally considered the quintessential modern SPORTS car, because even though it is not objectively fast, it is designed and built for fun in a sporting manner.

I owned many BMW's prior to a Tesla, most of which were a variant of the M3 or M5. I'll admit, I do (at times) miss the sound of an ICE and the excitement associated with shifting yourself.

However, most of the time, I really do not miss these things. There's also so many benefits to the 3 (AutoPilot for long road trips, cost of maintenance, cost of energy, convenience, etc) I would never go back.

If you feel the P3D+ is too soft, just upgrade to some MPP Sports Coilovers. They're effectively a KW V3 and should resolve your concerns. The P3D+ also runs relatively thin tires for the weight (benefits range), so upgrading to wider summer tires might also help (255's or so).

The Model 3 might not do everything great, but it does some things great, and nearly everything else good. I feel like the amount of compromise with the 3 is much less than you would get with basically anything else.
That's the way I feel about it. At the end of the day, when you add "daily drivability" to the list of criteria, it absolutely destroys anything else out there. With EVs, you don't have to compromise between a car that's stupid fast & feeling like a moron idling a 550 HP engine in stop & go traffic for 90% of its existence. It's perfectly practical to commute in the new Tesla Roadster, or CyberTruck, if you felt like it.

But I would be lying if I said that I don't miss some of that stuff... So I may end up with a toy Miata/BRZ in the future.

I got rid of my supercharged/intercooled '94 Corvette convertible (~500RWHP) to make room in the garage for my P3D-. After many $$$$$ in mods and repairs, not to mention impossible to get a consistent launch, I decided to "save money" by getting a P3D.

I did keep my Gen 1 Acura NSX for the days I miss a high revving, two seater to cruise around town in.

Nice !! What year NA1 do you have ? I still have my 97...

'92 NSX, red on black. Looks like new with minimal mods, aftermarket rims, carbon fiber spoiler and stainless "pretzel" exhaust. On the negative (for some) it's an automatic but surprisingly faster than most 5-6 spd nsx's I've lined up against. Lol, I tell my friends I've got the rare "automatic" one.

nsx_0262.jpg

Who switched to a M3P from a proper sports car (i.e. BMW M3/M4, Merc C63, Caddy V, Audi RS, Vette, higher trim Stang/Camaro, etc)?

If so, which one?

I knew there was going to be a drop in handling/chassis performance, but it's a bit more than I was hoping for. The track numbers and certain reviews made it seem like the disparity was smaller than I'm experiencing, but I think the sheer power and instantaneous torque helps the numbers themselves. Numbers/times aside, there are a number of chassis characteristics that are sorely lacking. The damping is probably the biggest gripe.

However, I (sort of) knew what I was getting myself into, and the car is still enjoyable.

This is by no means a dumping ground of a thread, just curious what others think who came from a proper sports car.

I came from a heavily modified Lexus IS350. Obviously stock it was too soft even with the sport suspension, so I installed a track coilover set that was so stiff that you needed a kidney belt to drive it on Boston roads :D.

The ride was so harsh that my wife almost refused to ride in it. Its tracking was pretty impressive, but when I go back and drive it I'm amazed at how the Model 3DMP with the MPP sports coilover set handles actually better defined in terms of more controllable at the limit, easier to rotate and control/predict rotation and even slightly higher limits and it's simply in a different Universe in terms of ride and comfort. And in terms of responsiveness to accelerator inputs, the two cars are just in a different universe. Even though the IS350 with the minimal amount of tuning that you could do to it could get to 60 miles an hour in about 4.6 seconds according to dragy, it feels glacial compared to the performance model 3.

Get the MVP Sports coilover kit is the short form of a long story if you want better transient response, better control over pitching and pogoing that the stock car sometimes can show, and if you want the car to feel really locked down. This also allows you to dial in more stiffness on the track or if you like an extremely firm ride, and set to softer settings it still provides better control than the stock setup. Then get a set of really lightweight preferably forged Wheels because actually that improves both the handling and the ride. And if you're interested in best performance on the street make sure you either keep your Michelin Pilot Sport 4S or get those tires in the Tesla specification.

Last edited:
Firstly I'd argue that none of those, save possibly Vette, are actually proper sports cars. All being hugely overgrown super-sports sedan with a far bigger focus on acceleration than dynamics

I'd argue that my 2 liter front-wheel-drive Renault is sportier in design and intent than they are

Anyway, the Tesla is obviously tremendously fast. My critiques are with the lack of interactivity and lack of rhythm. There's no power band that the driver has to keep on boil. No noise to set the gear change tempo. No heel-toe to dance with. No steering feel to judge the grip. etc. It's too point and shoot. Yes it's faster at covering ground but on twisty roads it's only half as engaging.

On the flip side, all these things make it a superior city / commuter car

The 'no noise' business is actually huge plus because you can really hear what the tire patches are doing. Previously that was just about impossible with lots of noise from the engine. As for poor steering feel I couldn't disagree more. I'm assuming from your description you have a stock suspension car. Get the MPP sport coilover kit. It's a game changer.

I switched from a Chevy SS sedan with a manual. I think that is still my favorite overall car. Fun to drive, tons of room for the kids. The suspension was awesome and the 6060 was a nice transmission.

All that said I wasted most of it on a commute and the gas bills were crazy. So I switched to the P. Its a much better commuter and faster getting on it.

Reactions: Primolak
92 NSX, red on black. Looks like new with minimal mods, aftermarket rims, carbon fiber spoiler and stainless "pretzel" exhaust. On the negative (for some) it's an automatic but surprisingly faster than most 5-6 spd nsx's I've lined up against. Lol, I tell my friends I've got the rare "automatic" one.

Very nice NA1 and very rare indeed !! According to NSXPrime, only 45 Red/Black automatics were made in 92...

I switched from a 620rwhp supercharged C7 Corvette with Z51 package and magnetic ride.

I have not gotten a chance to Autocross the Tesla yet (season starts 4/5... I hope) but I am assuming I gave up some lateral grip in exchange for absolute domination coming out of a turn and in a straight line. For as hard as I push it on the street I'm def not as comfortable butting up against the limits as I am in the Corvette but the other aspects make it more enjoyable... just IMO.

I was less than 1 second behind a tube chassis WRX('Model T' !?) 1600lb on slicks on a ~70 second course. Got PAX by >200 over nice SMF Civic....old version track mode p3- on 265 RE71R's