Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P - Who switched from a (true) sports car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven’t been able to drive the car much. The power is lovely, brakes are fine. The car handles decent, but too much body roll. The steering and the feel are horrible, hate how it feels and how it steers. I just have to mash the pedal to get over it

I haven’t been able to drive the car much. The power is lovely, brakes are fine. The car handles decent, but too much body roll. The steering and the feel are horrible, hate how it feels and how it steers. I just have to mash the pedal to get over it

Like most EPAS systems, the rack may not provide much steering feel, but it’s extremely precise. Its accuracy and quickness is one of my favorite things about the car. (shrug)

I hate to keep repeating myself but get the MVP Sports coilover kit. Also, where do you have the steering weight set in terms of the central controls? Move it towards Sport and you'll get a little bit more feedback and push back in the corners.

Used to drive and track Vipers. They are great fun, with tremendous torque/hp curves. Loud, rough handling and poor fuel economy when driven quickly.
Find Tesla electric drive superior in all street conditions. Gotta remove yourself from the sound and fury of the gassers, and concentrate more on the performance you are getting.

Used to drive and track Vipers. They are great fun, with tremendous torque/hp curves. Loud, rough handling and poor fuel economy when driven quickly.
Find Tesla electric drive superior in all street conditions. Gotta remove yourself from the sound and fury of the gassers, and concentrate more on the performance you are getting.

Lots of folks miss and even perhaps idealize the soundtrack. A family member I was talking with about Teslas said he would never buy one simply because he couldn't live without the soundtrack. I can certainly understand that position, especially after hearing Ferraris!

However I'm more and more convinced of the truth of the inverse of the Microsoft meme: the noise is not a feature it's a bug. We used to see it as desirable because of course it was the best auditory index of what was coming as a desirable concomitant, namely, the push in the back. Now we have the push in the back without any noise at all. Not only that, but it's way more linear than any ICE vehicle with all of its transmission ratios, peaky torque curves, turbo lag Etc. Plus you can now hear exactly what your tires are doing in a way that you could never appreciate before. And on the street there's just no question that the complete absence of noise and drama makes most of its extraordinary performance envelope fully available. Whereas the typical high horsepower ICE vehicle just makes a boatload of racket that draws undesirable and potentially legally undesirable attention.

So I'd say overall it's a net gain. It is always tough to transition out of a popular meme but I'm already fully transitioned.

Last edited:
Faster doesn't guarantee more excitement. And neither does louder.

It's not the VOLUME "we" enjoy, it's the tone and musicality. Plenty of loud cars sound crap. Others sound great.

Unless we're racing for a prize, going from A to B fastest isn't the objective. It's about enjoyment of the process. I could buy a jar of pesto from the store faster than I can mash one at home. But I enjoy working the mortar and pestle. And it fills the kitchen with smells of basil. You might call it an odor - I call it aroma.

Faster doesn't guarantee more excitement. And neither does louder.

It's not the VOLUME "we" enjoy, it's the tone and musicality. Plenty of loud cars sound crap. Others sound great.

Unless we're racing for a prize, going from A to B fastest isn't the objective. It's about enjoyment of the process. I could buy a jar of pesto from the store faster than I can mash one at home. But I enjoy working the mortar and pestle. And it fills the kitchen with smells of basil. You might call it an odor - I call it aroma.

Happy to sell you my Charger. :) I love the aroma, but most of the time, I'm just hungry.....

Wouldn't be my choice if I bought a gasser.

Unless maybe you have an Alpine, Caterham, or vintage Alfa?

Ah....so to torture the analogy further...you're into a small cup of espresso. I'm more into brute force campfire coffee. :)

I haven't done Alpine since it was "Sunbeam Alpine"....though now that I think back it was actually running a Tiger 260cu V8 which is more along the lines of throaty brute force than finesse. :)

• Funny
Reactions: dfwatt
Like most EPAS systems, the rack may not provide much steering feel, but it’s extremely precise. Its accuracy and quickness is one of my favorite things about the car. (shrug)

Quick, absolutely, but there is no feedback to it and it feels like an on/off switch. Along with the feel and see how small the wheel is, it's easily one of the part I hate the most about the car.

Quick, absolutely, but there is no feedback to it and it feels like an on/off switch. Along with the feel and see how small the wheel is, it's easily one of the part I hate the most about the car.

Solutions abound but I'm beginning to wonder if you're really just interested in complaining.

But your Solutions are (and they are not in any way mutually exclusive) but I've rank-ordered them in terms of ease and in inverse order of expense and grief.

1) adjust steering effort levels towards sport - easy, takes about 10 seconds.

2) check the Caster setting from the factory. This is not user adjustable but it's possible although extremely unlikely that you have a car where the Caster is out of spec. It should be at least 5 and 1/2 degrees if I'm not mistaken. You can get sometimes better steering feel and feedback by increasing the Castor but this is not possible on the stock suspension and requires that you buy an aftermarket upper control arm like the one just recently reduced by Redwood. Unclear if the MPP upper control arm allows Caster adjustment.

3) Additionally increasing front negative camber which can increase steering effort through an interaction with Caster may improve steering feel also by increasing effort and push back in turns. The stock suspension ride height does not generate enough negative camber particularly in front but dropping the car roughly an inch to an inch and a half, easily accomplished with the MPP or Redwood Sports coilover kit can increase steering feel in turns by getting you to Something in the vicinity of -1 degrees front camber. This does make a difference.

So my question is are you interested in improving things or are you more interested in complaining? This forum is dedicated to helping users find Solutions. Of course not all solutions are easily affordable. But I get the sense that you probably would appreciate the transformation in handling Dynamics achievable with a really good sports coilover kit. That might be my fourth suggestion that you go test drive a car with one of those kits. That might help you decide if you want to spend that kind of money.

Last edited:
Like what for instance?

I already told you, the steering on this car is horrible. I can swap everything out, but you are also going to introduce things such as vibration and noise into the picture. Being 4000lbs+, there is a lot of weight and you could feel it when you toss it into the corner. This is not my first sports car or modded car, I know how it works. Go drive a 911 and see how that feels

• Funny
Reactions: Zextraterrestrial
I already told you, the steering on this car is horrible. I can swap everything out, but you are also going to introduce things such as vibration and noise into the picture. Being 4000lbs+, there is a lot of weight and you could feel it when you toss it into the corner. This is not my first sports car or modded car, I know how it works. Go drive a 911 and see how that feels

You're really not listening. Or reading. Or becoming more knowledgeable. What we're talking about does not introduce vibration or noise. Perhaps you made a poor purchase.

I've driven a recent generation 911. I actually like my car's handling better. It's more neutral, there's less weight in the back, and it has a lower polar moment of inertia. The only Porsche that has perhaps slightly better handling is a recent generation Cayman or Boxster. And it's reasonably close.

Sold my Evo IX for the M3P, there is no question the Evo cornered better and more importantly more predictably, but the M3P does everything else better. I really dislike the M3P's tendency to oversteer unpredictably in all but perfect road conditions, it makes me more reluctant to drive the car closer to the limit. A true mechanical AWD drivetrain with LSDs is really hard to beat when you're drifting in the snow!

Reactions: tm1v2
Who switched to a M3P from a proper sports car (i.e. BMW M3/M4, Merc C63, Caddy V, Audi RS, Vette, higher trim Stang/Camaro, etc)?

If so, which one?

I knew there was going to be a drop in handling/chassis performance, but it's a bit more than I was hoping for. The track numbers and certain reviews made it seem like the disparity was smaller than I'm experiencing, but I think the sheer power and instantaneous torque helps the numbers themselves. Numbers/times aside, there are a number of chassis characteristics that are sorely lacking. The damping is probably the biggest gripe.

However, I (sort of) knew what I was getting myself into, and the car is still enjoyable.

This is by no means a dumping ground of a thread, just curious what others think who came from a proper sports car.

Switched from a TRUE sports car: 3,100 lb. 505 hp 200 mph Corvette Z06 to our 2015 Tesla MS P85D+. Tesla kicks our Z06's ass in 0 to 60 mps... and MPG (19 MPG vs. 90 MPGe). PLUS we gained 3 seats, and SUV cargo capacity so we were able to sell our Jeep Grand Cherokee too !!!