Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P - Who switched from a (true) sports car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In any case you eventually start feeling like a dipshit schlepping around town in a 450-hp ICE car that seldom sees past 60% of its potential (and only after it’s warmed up - truly warmed up, as in the oil, not the coolant... You are paying attention to the oil temp gauge… right?) The nice thing about EVs is that they snap your neck when you want them to, while still being perfectly practical DDs.

but I’d be lying if I said I didn’t miss the engagement of a 6MT, or the highway pull into the triple digits of a properly-sorted German bahnstormer, or the inconsequential range tax as a result of doing that, and putting on fatter tires, and the more or less perfectly consistent performance.

But is it worth the endless oil, transmission fluid, and differential leaks? Or asking “wtf is that valvetrain noise? That wasn’t there yesterday?” Or the incessant debates on oil and catch cans and fuel grades and other bullshit? What about the fact that our Government Overlords, in their endless quest to justify their meaningless existence, have all but completely ruined the EVIL CAR? Oh, don’t worry. You think it’ll end once we all transition to EVs? Dream on. Coming up is the war on evil “tire vaporization” - the next trendy pollutant. Why do you need a fast car!? I’ll tell you what you need, and don’t need, for I am The Government. I Know What’s Best. Choice Be Damned. The narrative slowly shifts from why you SHOULDN’T be able to do something to why you SHOULD. Until, slowly but surely, over decades, it turns out that the war wasn’t about the environment, but personal transportation itself.

I don’t know. I’ve never been more torn on any one subject than that of EVs vs. ICE, and to deny that valid pros and cons exist on both sides means you’re probably not really a car enthusiast - just a gadget freak waiting in line at 2 AM for the new iPhone.

Last edited:
The only thing I miss from traditional cars is interactivity. I certainly don't miss the constant feeling that something highly stressed and very expensive is going to let go. Audi has always been helpful, but the list of big bills is chilling. Feels like I had a steady succession of repairs like engine longblock (b8 oil issue), high pressure fuel pumps, turbos, mechatronic units, rusted out front wings and shuddering front discs as an integral part of Audi ownership.

In OPs context I don't actually come from sports cars, but from a succession of fairly quick turbo quattro Audi avants as I have a family. These high quality, family practical daily drivers have the tunable 2.0 TFSI and a competent chassis and I have spent many a happy hour upgrading suspensions, turbos and boltons. In hindsight I think the A4 B7 was the most enjoyable. That heavy mechanical "Audi" feeling and mechanical feedback was lost as Audi went on to the B8 and B9 models, and the sound of a heavily muffled turbo four isn't exactly exciting.

Living in Norway where cars are heavily taxed while EV are pretty much not, the M3P is cheaper than a year old Golf GTI. And in that context, it is an absolute killer deal. There's a 3 outside practically every other house in my area. The only drawback as far as I'm concerned is just how stupidly quick a 3P is. A pass on a backroad or inspred exit from a roundabout will easily run into mandatory jailtime speeds :rolleyes:

It's quite clear that EVs are superior DDs right up to entusiast occasional trackday use - and many of my car enthusiast friends are driving EVs and buying or looking to buy enthusiast cars from the last to decades because we recognize that those are going to be the peak ICE cars to own and drive occasionally. In the last year, friends have bought e39 M5, Audi RS5 (such an underrated car and still cheap), B7 RS4, e39 Alpina B10 and such cars. While they are costly to own and maintain, they are fun weekend playthings. Well, the 3P easily pulls away from them, and is much faster on a winding road - but there's something to be said for a car that feels fast even if you're not actually pulling high speeds.

I've started modding my 3P obviously, simple interior and exterior carbon pieces and an Eibach kit going on next week. Even if the options are more limited, I enjoy making it my own just as much.

I honestly think Tesla is missing out on big revenue from not having a sports department or officially sanctioned performance house along the lines of quattro Gmbh or Alpina. I'd happliy buy a performance suspension, braking kit and particularly performance front seats.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dolemite
The only thing I miss from traditional cars is interactivity. I certainly don't miss the constant feeling that something highly stressed and very expensive is going to let go. Audi has always been helpful, but the list of big bills is chilling. Feels like I had a steady succession of repairs like engine longblock (b8 oil issue), high pressure fuel pumps, turbos, mechatronic units, rusted out front wings and shuddering front discs as an integral part of Audi ownership.

In OPs context I don't actually come from sports cars, but from a succession of fairly quick turbo quattro Audi avants as I have a family. These high quality, family practical daily drivers have the tunable 2.0 TFSI and a competent chassis and I have spent many a happy hour upgrading suspensions, turbos and boltons. In hindsight I think the A4 B7 was the most enjoyable. That heavy mechanical "Audi" feeling and mechanical feedback was lost as Audi went on to the B8 and B9 models, and the sound of a heavily muffled turbo four isn't exactly exciting.

Living in Norway where cars are heavily taxed while EV are pretty much not, the M3P is cheaper than a year old Golf GTI. And in that context, it is an absolute killer deal. There's a 3 outside practically every other house in my area. The only drawback as far as I'm concerned is just how stupidly quick a 3P is. A pass on a backroad or inspred exit from a roundabout will easily run into mandatory jailtime speeds :rolleyes:

It's quite clear that EVs are superior DDs right up to entusiast occasional trackday use - and many of my car enthusiast friends are driving EVs and buying or looking to buy enthusiast cars from the last to decades because we recognize that those are going to be the peak ICE cars to own and drive occasionally. In the last year, friends have bought e39 M5, Audi RS5 (such an underrated car and still cheap), B7 RS4, e39 Alpina B10 and such cars. While they are costly to own and maintain, they are fun weekend playthings. Well, the 3P easily pulls away from them, and is much faster on a winding road - but there's something to be said for a car that feels fast even if you're not actually pulling high speeds.

I've started modding my 3P obviously, simple interior and exterior carbon pieces and an Eibach kit going on next week. Even if the options are more limited, I enjoy making it my own just as much.

I honestly think Tesla is missing out on big revenue from not having a sports department or officially sanctioned performance house along the lines of quattro Gmbh or Alpina. I'd happliy buy a performance suspension, braking kit and particularly performance front seats.
Nice comments . . . reminds me of my days tuning ice cars and replacing blown engines. Also reminds me of how 3 years ago I almost bought an RS3. So glad I didn't. Given your experience I was a bit surprised that you are just putting in springs and not a full proper coilover kit? I'm sure you have seen the feedback about that choice on the Forum. We have installed two MPP coilover kits with the Comfort Adjustable one on my wife's car and the Sport one on mine. They are absolutely worth every penny. Given your background you might really enjoy the Sport kit.

Reactions: oreobbq
@dfwatt you are right - I would prefer coilovers but as I live i Europe, I need TUV certification and so far the options I'm aware of seem to be H&R or Eibach springs, or KW v3 coilovers. I've had nothing but good experiences with Eibach, so I'm doing these first. But who am I fooling, right? There will be coils 😅

With the M3 you trade exhaust note and gear shifting for instant effortless power. That is the one thing people don't understand until they drive one. With ICE it feels like you have to work to wring out every ounce of power but with EV the torque curve is essentially a square wave and power is effortless with no drama. I like the driving dynamics of both ICE and EV depending on mood I am in but you can't beat EV for daily driving work. So much performance combined with excellent efficiency, tough to beat.

I just wish they could relax the nannies a bit to make the car more playful. Yes, I am childish and want to spin the tires and kick the rear put a hair every once in a while. The street was wet the other day so I goosed the throttle a bit in my wife's SR+ and to my surprise it actually let me spin a hair and wiggle the back end. I thought no-way, did Tesla tune the nannies in a recent update or something but then I tried a few more times and it just cut power instantly and shut the party down. Must have been a fluke... Now in the M3P I feel like it is super glued to the road, great for launches but not playful like the muscle cars I grew up on.

Reactions: Apone and SteveMQ
Dumped my AMG C63 for M3P and I love it. I am a fan of both ICE and EV, but I am looking forward to a period of not having to worry about the next repair to my C63. I haven't written off ICE cars completely (despite the proposed 2035 ban) so who knows, I may mix things up again and go back. But for now, I am more than satisfied with the Tesla.

I got out of my 2015 Yas Marina Blue M4 I had with a stage 1 Dinan Tune and Exhaust, as well as turning back in a 2019 540I with the Mperformace power and sound kit. Finally leaving BMW and pick up our Red Tesla on 6/23/21.

Looking forward to the change, a completely different experience and have already ordered a few mods for her. To say I'm excited would be an understatement ☺

I drove Chargers for 10 years (R/T and SRT) and while I'll miss that big Hemi growl and burnout fun, I'm ready for neck snapping clean performance. The Charger was a fast, brash car but big and wasteful, I compare it to a sledgehammer vs a scalpel.

I drove Chargers for 10 years (R/T and SRT) and while I'll miss that big Hemi growl and burnout fun, I'm ready for neck snapping clean performance. The Charger was a fast, brash car but big and wasteful, I compare it to a sledgehammer vs a scalpel.

Lol same here. I had a Torred Charger Daytona ... replacing it with a red M3P. They're like spiritual successors... except one is a dinosaur from what feels like an entirely different lifetime. From a performance standpoint the Charger wasn't even close. What Tesla is doing feels lightyears ahead of the Dodge. Although the Dodge had very good panel gaps 🤪

The hemi is loud as hell though. On the looks department, I'm glad Tesla de-chromed their cars.

Reactions: JohnnyMa
At one point, I had one of these simultaneous to the SR+ Model 3.
Was able to get a lot of A/B seat time between the two... so you can say I know what a "true sports car" or a balanced chassis should feel like .
1619415835363-jpeg.657010

The Model 3 continues to amaze me by how well mannered it is around corners and how quickly you can change directions considering the weight of the car.

Danny
Did you sell the 718? I have a 987 S and I'm torn to keep or sell after I take delivery of my LR. I struggled a bit with the decision to get a P, but I'm not interested in street drags and I'd change to forged 18s and KW coil-overs anyway, so I'm hoping that if I do those things to the LR I can save a buck or two and still be happy. I'm not a track rat, but do the occasional HPDE day. Thoughts? Thanks.

You will hate the car if you drive your car reasonablely well. The stability control is annoying
I was afraid of that. Yes, I do drive at least reasonably well. I've tracked the car along with many others. I'll keep the Porsche for now. I live in the mountains where gloriously twisty roads start literally at my driveway. I'm hoping that the MMP Party Box will do what I want after the coil-overs, suspension upgrades and better tires. Then perhaps I'll sell the Cayman S. I do love that car!

Did you sell the 718? I have a 987 S and I'm torn to keep or sell after I take delivery of my LR. I struggled a bit with the decision to get a P, but I'm not interested in street drags and I'd change to forged 18s and KW coil-overs anyway, so I'm hoping that if I do those things to the LR I can save a buck or two and still be happy. I'm not a track rat, but do the occasional HPDE day. Thoughts? Thanks.
It was a 981 Cayman.

I would've kept it if I could. It's a different type of driving experience from the Model 3.

Keep it if you can 👍

Let me know when you're reading for suspension and wheels ☺️

Danny