Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P: Why So Little Regenerative Braking?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today I drove my friend's brand-new (2022) Model Y (Dual Motors, not Performance).
The regenerative braking in his car is significantly stronger compared to my 2021 MP3. It feels like I am hitting the brakes when I get off the gas.

Is this normal? Is the regen braking in the Performance model reduced for some reason? Both cars are set to "hold", by the way.

Thats going to depend on how warm the battery is, how full it is etc. I just got a model Y (performance) for my wife (picked up a couple days ago) and it doesnt feel significantly different to me, if the cars have been sitting the same amount of time in the garage and have similar battery fullness.

it doesnt feel significantly different to me, if the cars have been sitting the same amount of time in the garage and have similar battery fullness.

That was the case in my test drive: both cars parked sitting next to each other in the same climate, had the relative same (mid-level) charge remaining, but I have NEVER experienced the MY's high level of regenerative braking in my M3P - under any circumstances. Ever.

I drove a 3LR for the first time this week as a loaner for a few days and the morning regen was dramatically stronger.
I usually get 18-24 regen dots on a typical 68F morning with ~75% SOC on my March 2021 3P (VIN 925), so basically no regen at all until it warms up. Even when I leave the house with <20% SOC on a 75F-85F morning there are still 5-10 dots until I get to the freeway.
But the early 2021 3LR (VIN 862) loaner only had maybe a dozen dots each morning and regen so strong I almost didn't need the brakes even at 60% SOC. But once warm the cars were about the same.

My car has the 82kWh pack that was introduced around that time whereas I think the LR would have had the 79kWh(?) so perhaps the 82 just sucks at sucking in power.

Sorry, but my question is still not answered: Compared to a current version MY, or even my 2020 Bolt, my M3P has mild regeneration under the best of circumstances. Has anyone else compared a newish MY's enormous regen braking power to the lame M3P? Is there a reason for the reduced regen on the Performance model?

Sorry, but my question is still not answered: Compared to a current version MY, or even my 2020 Bolt, my M3P has mild regeneration under the best of circumstances. Has anyone else compared a newish MY's enormous regen braking power to the lame M3P? Is there a reason for the reduced regen on the Performance model?
Stupid question, but was both cars on the same setting in the UI for Regen? Normal/low..

Interesting. My 2020 MYP has low/standard.

Guessing a change happened after my year.

Late 2020 I believe:

There is another (much longer) thread with people complaining about it somewhere here I could find if I dug, but this one is also relevant.

Reactions: Young Phenom
Setting levels of regen would be a great user option, but it is not available on 2021/22 models.
Again, both cars I mentioned - MP3, MY Long Range - had identical charge level, time since last use and outside temps.
The Model Y's level of regenerative braking was substantially larger, and felt like I hit the actual brakes.

I have a 2021 3P and we just received my wife's 2022 MYP, which I've been driving all weekend and it seems like there's a slight stronger regen in the MYP vs. my car when we have both cars full with my family of 4. I drive both in "creep" mode (which is my preferred choice). I though maybe it's bc the MYP is heavier so it's calibrated to slow down/regen stronger to accomodate for the extra weight. there's also the simple fact that the MYP IS heavier so maybe I was feeling the car lurching forward more than my 3P, which feels more taught and composed.

Hold mode doesn't reduce the regen level. I feel my 2020 Model 3 dual motor has lost some regen power over the years. Regen doesn't feel as strong as it used to and I use my brakes more than in the first year or two. Max regen value has always been 85kW in ScanMyTesla so that's not what changed. When I last visited the service center I reported that and they told me nothing was wrong with my car.
Maybe your 2021 has that same effect, when compared to a newer 2022 Y. The Y might also be heavier, requiring more regen to give an "equivalent" stopping rate to the 3.

Today I drove my friend's brand-new (2022) Model Y (Dual Motors, not Performance).
The regenerative braking in his car is significantly stronger compared to my 2021 MP3. It feels like I am hitting the brakes when I get off the gas.

Is this normal? Is the regen braking in the Performance model reduced for some reason? Both cars are set to "hold", by the way.
Temperature and SOC affect regen significantly. If you have a cold battery at a higher SOC regen will be significantly reduced. However, the new setting that allows friction brakes when regen isn't available can help a lot. Make sure that setting is available and turned on.

I have seen as much as 241 HP of regen when in Track Mode with a depleted and hot battery. Normally it is 120 HP or below and sometimes as low as 16 HP.

IMG_2229.png
IMG_2230.png
IMG_2232.png

• Informative
Reactions: Lindenwood