Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P Wider Tires on Stock Ubers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been looking around for tire options for my 2022 M3P with the stock 20" Uberturbines and I am considering wider tires.

I am trying to decide the widest I can go without risking rubbing or making it as efficient as a Hummer EV. Right now I am looking at 275/30R20 as those would result in a perfect 1:1 for diameter and have no effects on revs/mile but being 40mm wider. I am wondering if these may pose a risk of rubbing anywhere or tanking my efficiency? I was hoping someone may have experience with wider tires on the stock ubers they would be willing to share.

I believe stock wheels are 8.5" wide so you might have to settle for 255. If you go to tire rack's website, they show specs on what is the required wheel width to not pinch the tire. I would not go past 255 recommended size for 8.5" wheels. You can try 255/35/20? They are only half an inch taller than stock.

Yeah, my rims are definitely 20x9, should have mentioned that in my initial post.

If I can get 275/30R20 without risking rubbing I will consider that a win but I'm also thinking about what that extra 16% width will do for efficiency.

Yeah, they are stock 235/35R20 though the sidewall has a very noticeable stretch to it.
Ya same was on my MYP. 21” Ubers and 255/275 were totally stretched. I purchased a 295 set and placed them on the rears and moved the 275’s to the front rims. Proper fit.

The model 3P should be at 245 or 255 oem but Tesla chinced out. Maybe it’s a traction thing and reduced range with more friction 🤷🏽‍♂️

Reactions: ApexProxy
Sadly, 265/30R20 looks like an uncommon size so I'm not seeing a good selection nor good prices. The info helps but I don't think I'll be going with that size though. I also just heard that 275/30 up front will require pushing out the offset and adding camber to avoid rubbing so it sounds like I'll be starting with more modest 255/35 and seeing how I like it. I want to avoid stagger because I have a 150mi commute and want to be able to fully rotate my tires. I also am seeing excellent prices on 255/35s as well.

Sadly, 265/30R20 looks like an uncommon size so I'm not seeing a good selection nor good prices. The info helps but I don't think I'll be going with that size though. I also just heard that 275/30 up front will require pushing out the offset and adding camber to avoid rubbing so it sounds like I'll be starting with more modest 255/35 and seeing how I like it. I want to avoid stagger because I have a 150mi commute and want to be able to fully rotate my tires. I also am seeing excellent prices on 255/35s as well.
Make sure they overall tire diameter isn't too tall. Manufacturers have some variance in diameter, in the same size. Some have had rubbing with the upper knuckle on that size (Michelin PS/AS4 is one). Stay at 27" overall and you should be fine (PS4 and Conti DWS06+ are popular)

Check Tire Rack to verify
I'm going to do the same thing once the OEM Pirellis are gone. HATE the stretch!

Yeah, I'm targeting as close to oem diameter as possible no matter which tire I go with. That's why I was so interested in 275/35R20 because it has a flawless match in diameter. Too bad it's too wide to run in front without changing things.

Would love to see before and after of your 235 to 255 journey! My stock wheels are just sitting in the garage because I hate the stretched look. I might use those wheels with 255s eventually if it looks nice. Currently rolling on aftermarket 19's with 265/30/19s :)