Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P wins SCCA Autocross National Championship

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A Model 3 Performance just won a SCCA autocross national championship. The car was owned and piloted by David Marcus who beat out a variety of performance cars including the GT350, Evora, BMW 1M and M2.

The winning car is the blue car in this pic. I am pretty certain it just has wheels, tires, and a bigger rear sway bar. The black car in the pic is mine:

20190831_165302.jpg

Definitely can't be 265/35/19 (or if they are he will be protested and lose). street doesn't allow wider tires than stock, stock is 235 so he has to run that width to be in BS.
In Street class wheels are limited to stock size but tires can be any size that doesn’t require fender modification. It’s common to run tires that are not properly sized for the rims to get a little more traction at the expense of squirmier steering response.
I’ve been wondering if a smaller outside diameter tire might actually be an advantageous for autocrossing Model 3. It would provide faster acceleration at low speeds and lower center of gravity.

I’ve been wondering if a smaller outside diameter tire might actually be an advantageous for autocrossing Model 3. It would provide faster acceleration at low speeds and lower center of gravity.
That’s my plan to try, once my current 245/40R18 cord. Go to 255/35R18, which is 5% shorter than stock (current track tires are only 1.5% shorter).

The RE71R in that size are also spec’d to be 2lb lighter per tire than 255/40R18. That’s a lot of unsprung weight savings. It’d cost $2000 or more in new rims to save that kind of weight.

Definitely can't be 265/35/19 (or if they are he will be protested and lose). street doesn't allow wider tires than stock, stock is 235 so he has to run that width to be in BS.

Not sure why others are correcting you with essentially the same thing as your post. You've claimed that the tire width wasn't stock and this would've been contested. Did you edit your post or something?

Not sure why others are correcting you with essentially the same thing as your post. You've claimed that the tire width wasn't stock and this would've been contested. Did you edit your post or something?
incorrect. tire size does not matter. compound does. wheel diameter and offset do.
you can put whatever tire you can fit on a stock width rim as long as it is 200 TW or greater w/ some restrictions

Other posters are correct that you can run 265 tires...if you can fit them on an stock 8.5" wide wheel.

When I tried to do so I was told "no way" by my performance tire shop. So I have 9.5" wheels. But hey I'm also not a professional autocrosser so maybe he has a way to so it!

Other posters are correct that you can run 265 tires...if you can fit them on an stock 8.5" wide wheel.

When I tried to do so I was told "no way" by my performance tire shop. So I have 9.5" wheels. But hey I'm also not a professional autocrosser so maybe he has a way to so it!
You can totally fit 265 (I test fitted), I decided to go with 255 35 19 stock width aftermarket setup to stay in BS and maintained sharpness since I also track car I didn't feel loosing 4% in PAX to be SM was worth doing 275 and slightly wider rims. So far I've been first in PAX every event with my Re71's at 35 psi.

Reactions: Zextraterrestrial
You can totally fit 265 (I test fitted), I decided to go with 255 35 19 stock width aftermarket setup to stay in BS and maintained sharpness since I also track car I didn't feel loosing 4% in PAX to be SM was worth doing 275 and slightly wider rims. So far I've been first in PAX every event with my Re71's at 35 psi.

Ah one difference is I run 18" wheels on my P3D (18x9.5, 265-35-18 tires). So maybe a 265-35-19 fits on a 19x8.5 but a 265-35-18 won't fit on a 18x8.5?

Reactions: Zextraterrestrial