Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P- . What is it, how to order it, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This option does not exist. You can order the Performance model with 18 inch wheels but looks like you are still getting the larger brakes and lowered suspension and pay the same price as the 20 inch wheels...

That's what I'm hearing as well. Just a straight swap 18s for 20s. I was under the impression that the existing 18s do not clear the performance brakes, to which my Tesla advisor had no answer.

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
I'm guessing you get the regular brakes with 18" wheels. Which would be fine for me because they are more than adequate for driving on public roads considering that will all the help from regenerative braking, you would have to be driving like an idiot to overheat the OEM brakes. The regular brakes are not inferior to the performance brakes until you approach the thermal limits by driving like an idiot.

Racing on a road race track is a different story of course. You want all the brake you can fit in there.

Reactions: MagnusMako
My local dealer had one of these in stock this morning. LR AWD + Performance switch on. No performance hardware.

This is from my order confirmation.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-17 at 12.44.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-17 at 12.44.33 PM.png
    85.1 KB · Views: 819
This option does not exist. You can order the Performance model with 18 inch wheels but looks like you are still getting the larger brakes and lowered suspension and pay the same price as the 20 inch wheels...

Quick edit to my original post, there are now multiple people reporting that wheel swap also reduces the price by $5k. If true this is the sweet spot of the Model 3 range in my opinion. I texted my OA to confirm and will report back once I hear back from him...

I'm being offered the same, do I need track mode / bigger brakes / CF spoiler and 20s... will this version get the same updates and power increases the top range M3P gets now? So confused.

You only need the bigger brakes if going to the track. The spoiler is mostly for looks (even if it adds a bit of downforce at speeds over 125 mph). It should come with Track Mode but that is of very limited utility if not going to the track. Maybe good for messing about in a snowy parking lot. On the track, it's more than welcome. IMO, the 18" wheels and tires are awesome. The Michelin MXM4's are not too shabby when pushed occasionally but you can always buy 18" Performance tires which will give up very little over the 19" and 20's On rough roads they will actually perform better with less chance of wheel/tire damage. The 18" tires also have better cost/availability.

Tesla has been applying the same software updates (Track Mode, etc.) to ALL models designated as "Performance". I don't see this changing ever.

You only need the bigger brakes if going to the track. The spoiler is mostly for looks (even if it adds a bit of downforce at speeds over 125 mph). It should come with Track Mode but that is of very limited utility if not going to the track. Maybe good for messing about in a snowy parking lot. On the track, it's more than welcome. IMO, the 18" wheels and tires are awesome. The Michelin MXM4's are not too shabby when pushed occasionally but you can always buy 18" Performance tires which will give up very little over the 19" and 20's On rough roads they will actually perform better with less chance of wheel/tire damage. The 18" tires also have better cost/availability.

Tesla has been applying the same software updates (Track Mode, etc.) to ALL models designated as "Performance". I don't see this changing ever.

Interesting, I am replacing a tuned 2016 340i with this car that I ordered with standard 225 all season tires on 18" wheels because I drive this vehicle in winter, I knew if I bought the full out performance model3 I would need to change the tires for winter... this is sounding like the reasonable choice, but I don't want to regret not going to the full performance or lose anything from my 400awhp 340i (3850lbs curb weight)

Quick edit to my original post, there are now multiple people reporting that wheel swap also reduces the price by $5k. If true this is the sweet spot of the Model 3 range in my opinion. I texted my OA to confirm and will report back once I hear back from him...

This is different than the conversation I had with an Inside Sales Adviser yesterday afternoon. I was told they will sell you the "P3D-" variant, but will not adjust the price. So, you pay the P3D+ price but end up with the P3D-.

But it's Tesla, so no one knows until they actually order it...

This is different than the conversation I had with an Inside Sales Adviser yesterday afternoon. I was told they will sell you the "P3D-" variant, but will not adjust the price. So, you pay the P3D+ price but end up with the P3D-.

But it's Tesla, so no one knows until they actually order it...

My sales adviser says these are actually on the lot. Seems like a software upgrade.
18" wheels, regular brakes, no spoiler, no track mode, but still 3.2 to 60 and 160 top speed