Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To answer your original question, which is academic since you've ordered the right one ;)
Deciding factors:
  • bigger brakes (it weighs 1.85T, as you know)
  • track mode
  • 3.4s 0-100. Not just really fast, mad fast!
Reservations:
  • $11k more
  • power curve very different to LR so LR actually pulls back and past after a period (rolling start at 60mph)
  • Worried about potholes and 21" wheels
  • Worried about kerb rash on the wheels that poke out from the tyres (I wonder if I can put wider tyres on them?)
  • The wheels' design turns a different way on one side to the other. I wish there was a right and a left pair.
  • How often do you use track mode?
  • I rarely use the brakes in my LR
  • LR with Acceleration Boost is only .3 of a sec slower to 100, so it too is mad fast (3.7s 0-100).

My biggest reservation with the P would be the 21" inch wheels and low profile tyres. Primarily because I live in the country and routinely drive on unpaved roads. I need my car to be practical as well so a P would be a non starter for me. My ideal car would have been a P stealth, because it had high profile tyres and skipped the bling.

Had I spent the extra $11k I would have had wheels and tyres I did not want, track mode that I would never actually use, a stick on spoiler that I am not fussed about and I suppose better brakes that I rarely use. Instead $3k for AB which I added post purchase. Extravagant I know, but my car lives in Sports mode and I use the AB all the time. It was the sweet spot for me.

I measured this with my car. Down the bottom you see the 0-100(1ft) of 3.69s . Tesla quote the P using 1ft rollout figures & the lesser models they do not use this dubious methodology. This makes the non P variants appear relatively slower than they are.

1637271177846.png

My biggest reservation with the P would be the 21" inch wheels and low profile tyres. Primarily because I live in the country and routinely drive on unpaved roads. I need my car to be practical as well so a P would be a non starter for me. My ideal car would have been a P stealth, because it had high profile tyres and skipped the bling.

The P runs 20" with 35 aspect ratio tyres

I've fitted mine with 18" wheels, running 45 aspect rubber. This gives a good deal more tyre sidewall to cope with rural roads, and a slight performance improvement due to lower unsprung rotational mass.

I'll stick the original 20's back on at resale time.

For what it's worth I was having the same dilemma. I was having real trouble justifying the extra cost. So I ordered the LR. This was back in July this year. I happened to be at the Tesla showroom dropping off my personalised plates when the price drop came through for Australia. That meant my LR dropped over $5000 (On Road for the spec I ordered). My sales assistant told me that I would get that saving. I immediately told him that I wanted to cancel my order and go for the P instead and he talked me out of it. He said that because my finance had already been approved and put through it would be hard to change it and also that I would then go to the end of the line again and that could mean 4-6 extra weeks of waiting.
I must say though that I do regret not doing it. Sure it would have meant longer wait times but the extra wait was always going to be much, much shorter than the length of time I would have the car. It was my first Tesla so I was very excited and impatient to get it.
Don't get me wrong, the LR is a fantastic car and I'm super happy with it. It's not like every time I hop in it I am saddened that it isn't a P. But I do have a niggle in the back of my mind that I wish I had of taken the price drop opportunity to get one.

Reactions: Culfy
I've fitted mine with 18" wheels, running 45 aspect rubber. This gives a good deal more tyre sidewall to cope with rural roads, and a slight performance improvement due to lower unsprung rotational mass.
Hi Onshore - which wheel design did you purchase? I'm thinking the same when my tyres are ready for replacement, for cost reasons, although they've already done 25,000km and still looking like they have another 20,000 in them... so happy with that.

On the original question - I don't regret buying my Performance M3, I thought I'd tire of the acceleration but alas I haven't after 1 1/2 years. I don't use it (insane acceleration) all the time, its a special occasion type of thing. I have always wanted a fast sedan, like M3 fast, so this ticked a box for me personally. The feeling of the acceleration and being able to beat nearly anything from the lights is like the gift that just keeps giving!

My only regret is, I should have waited 6 months. I bought mine at the most expensive time, it was $110,500 on the road, now they are $93,500 for the same spec. (white on white). A small consolation is I do prefer the performance wheel design on my "old" M3P...

Reactions: Culfy
Hi Onshore - which wheel design did you purchase? I'm thinking the same when my tyres are ready for replacement, for cost reasons, although they've already done 25,000km and still looking like they have another 20,000 in them... so happy with that.

TSportline arachnid style, 18x8.5

I see the OP has made a decision, but I'll leave this here for anyone else considering their options.

I've had my M3P for almost 2 years and still love it. The way I justified it was that I hadn't had a car for 16 years (living in Singapore) and the cars with similar performance (BMW M3) were more expensive. When I ordered in Oct 2019 it still had the silver wheels, but they swapped it for the grey ones which I love as it matches my car paint.

I never get tired of the acceleration and nor do the kids!

On the downside, I've lost 3 tyres. 2 were from a single pothole at 60 km/h on a suburban street. It was raining at night and I was following a car, so it was hard to spot. The other was after a trip from the Gold Coast to country Victoria and back on some rubbish roads and one gravel road. I didn't notice until we got home and my step-father pointed out the gash. The tyre shop was amazed that I could still drive on it. Less road clearance has also been a problem on a couple of driveways with a bit of scraping.

Would I buy it again or get the LR? I'm torn, I hate the issues with the low profile tyres, but love how they look. I think if I was to get a Model Y as a family road tripper I would probably get the LR this time. Although I would consider the P with smaller wheels and a higher sidewall tyre to improve ride comfort and lower the chance of a tyre loss.

• How often do you use track mode?
  • I rarely use the brakes in my LR
  • LR with Acceleration Boost is only .3 of a sec slower to 100, so it too is mad fast (3.7s 0-100).

Had I spent the extra $11k I would have had wheels and tyres I did not want, track mode that I would never actually use, a stick on spoiler that I am not fussed about and I suppose better brakes that I rarely use. Instead $3k for AB which I added post purchase. Extravagant I know, but my car lives in Sports mode and I use the AB all the time. It was the sweet spot for me.

I measured this with my car. Down the bottom you see the 0-100(1ft) of 3.69s . Tesla quote the P using 1ft rollout figures & the lesser models they do not use this dubious methodology. This makes the non P variants appear relatively slower than they are.

View attachment 734488
As is usually the case with buying things, we all have different lists. I provided mine as the OP asked.
  • I've not got my car yet so I can't tell you how often I'll use track mode, probably not very but I'll be annoyed that I don't have it if I don't get it and it'll be another cool fun thing to play with that makes it less like the latest Toyota Boring clone.
  • "I rarely using the brakes..." is not a reason to not have good brakes, you say you regularly drive in the country, good brakes to avoid large bouncy creatures are a very wise move on a 1.9T car. I used to live 550km North of Adelaide and did a regular trip to Adelaide, at night. Every car I have ever owned has had improved brakes, yes, the others I've had don't have regen braking but that won't do much compared to the larger brakes in an emergency, which is when I want the brakes, not daily driving. It's not "bling" as far as I am concerned. In all that time I've hit 2 kangaroos. On both occasions the car was stationary and the roo jumped into the back door. I'm talking about proper roos, the red ones, that write off your car. Of course, this is also less like a Toyota Boring. Potentially if I owned an M3P and needed to do dirt road driving I'd get a set of 18" wheels that fit over the brakes.
  • Acceleration boost, yes, that does bring it closer, no doubt and yes, it is fast.
As for the 20" wheels, yes that's a concern for me too, and if I drove on dirt I'd probably get the LR. I don't. Likewise the lowered suspension (you didn't mention that).
Don't forget the price of 20" P Zeros or Michelin Pilot Sport 4s in this size, instead of the Hankooks, that's another drawback. But as per the reason for better brakes above, I'd be replacing those with Pilot Sport 4s as soon as they wore out anyway.
I am not really bothered about the spoiler either and for sure $11k is a lot for it. I'd much prefer it if the car was $5k more with better brakes and wheels/tyre/suspension package and I could have a performance AB option after the fact for $3k without LCT.

But your list is different to mine.

Last edited:
"I rarely using the brakes..." is not a reason to not have good brakes, you say you regularly drive in the country, good brakes to avoid large bouncy creatures are a very wise move on a 1.9T car. I used to live 550km North of Adelaide and did a regular trip to Adelaide, at night. Every car I have ever owned has had improved brakes, yes, the others I've had don't have regen braking but that won't do much compared to the larger brakes in an emergency, which is when I want the brakes, not daily driving. It's not "bling" as far as I am concerned. In all that time I've hit 2 kangaroos. On both occasions the car was stationary and the roo jumped into the back door. I'm talking about proper roos, the red ones, that write off your car. Of course, this is also less like a Toyota Boring. Potentially if I owned an M3P and needed to do dirt road driving I'd get a set of 18" wheels that fit over the brakes.

Bigger brakes won't improve the situation at all for your bouncy creature unless you've come straight from the track and the brakes are hot. It's the tires that slow you down..

source: several threads in this forum

Reactions: Flatbat
Bigger brakes won't improve the situation at all for your bouncy creature unless you've come straight from the track and the brakes are hot. It's the tires that slow you down..

source: several threads in this forum
That's not entirely true but yes, the tyres are the things that ultimately keep you on the road, however there's more to bigger brakes than temperature. You're right though, as long as you can activate the ABS, the brakes are good enough, however, having counted over 100 roos in an 80km trio one time, I like to have as much as possible on my side.

white is my fav Tesla colour. Black is a pain to keep clean, not a fan of blue (sorry Culfy!) and Mazda does a better red IMO. Deciding factor is the performance.

I see 1 month connectivity included, I recall it was 1 year connectivity for P?
Yes, Mazda did a lot better red. I was toss and turn between white and blue, so I bought red. Haha

Back in 2019 it was lifetime for the premium connectivity.

I placed my M3P on the 16th of Oct 2021. Hopefully the 1yr premium connectivity is included. I can't tell from the invoice received.
I have a funny feeling they pulled it on the Friday? I hope not for your sake. I even contacted the Melbourne Dealer I was dealing with (and the Dealer in Brisbane) to see if they could extend it but they can't do anything at all. It's a pain because I had a delay getting a test drive because SA has no dealer. Otherwise I'd have probably ordered it a week earlier anyway.