Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3SR+ driving modes / energy saving modes?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably a silly question but my inlaws have an e-corsa and when they do the 70 miles round trip to us they have the car set to eco and turn the heaters off. Starting with a full charge

From what I can see for the SR+ there is just one made unless you use all your charge.

I assume the same 70 mile round trip in the tesla would be nothing to worry about it.

Thanks
Ian

chill mode is probably all you can do but you can probably get similar results with a gentle right foot. Not go too fast - 60 seems a sweetspot if you're ekeing out (sp?) the miles. new SR+ has a heat pump so shouldn't be too bad with AC on, and you may need it to stop the windows misting up.

but yeah 70 there and back with 30-40% left in the tank should be fine.

Probably a silly question but my inlaws have an e-corsa and when they do the 70 miles round trip to us they have the car set to eco and turn the heaters off. Starting with a full charge

From what I can see for the SR+ there is just one made unless you use all your charge.

I assume the same 70 mile round trip in the tesla would be nothing to worry about it.

Thanks
Ian

Do you mean 140 miles round trip rather than 70? Either way ... that's fine. (Using eco modes on EVs is nothing very clever. All the eco modes tend to do is force you to accelerate a bit slower and limit your speed ... but you're a sophisticated human driver with total control of your right foot so you know exactly what's required!) By all means use "chill" mode if you want but, as I say, so long as you temper your right foot it won't make any noticeable difference. If you are not familiar with the car yet I recommend using the Energy Graph screen and setting your destination on the car's navigation ... you'll then see your trip and a good indication of your range possibilities when driving moderately (it updates in real time so you can judge how it's going.)

I've had a M3 SR+ for 18 Months and have done 10,000 Miles, it will easily do a 140 Mile Round Trip with no real preventative measures personally I would back it for 180-200 Miles on a Charge. As others have said a light right foot, sensible Motorway Speed and / or Chill Mode will help but no real need for anything else. We've been from Glasgow to Skye via Fort William and Glasgow to Aberdeen via Dundee with no issues at all. Definitely switch the Display from Miles to % as Miles is a guess at best and % is an accurate measurement.

Reactions: skippyinspace
Nope I mean 35 miles each way 70 in total, The inlaws only use their ev in Aberdeen and the very occasional trip to us in Peterhead, and then its in full energy-saving mode. They seem to suffer not from Range Anxiety but Range panic. Looking forward to my test drive on Saturday and have started the pre-loan process for the interest-free loan.

Our first EV five years ago was a 22kWh Zoe. I'd have done your 70 mile round trip without too much concern, even in winter. It'd have suggested engaging Eco mode at some point towards the end, but in an e-Corsa, they'll be ok to do that journey twice without any special modes. Perhaps do it with them sometime to help them feel more confident in the car?