Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3SR+ or M3LRAWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My experience with the kona tells me it more efficient than the m3.
I definitely agree here, despite what the official MPGe figures say.

When my Kona 64 was fully charged, it showed a range of about 300 miles, so nominally the same as my LR AWD. There is a big difference between the WLTP quoted range - 279 for the Kona, 348 for the M3 - so you’d really expect the M3 to go further.

I had the Kona for 11 months, and covered 15k miles. I’ve had the M3 for 11 weeks, and I’ve covered just over 4k miles. My driving style hasn’t changed. I drove the Kona in Standard mode, I drive the M3 in Chill mode.

With the Kona it was easy to get the consumption down to 250Wh/m, and not hard to get it down to 200Wh/m. So far I’ve not really seen anything that low in the M3.

So in my view the published figures don’t tell the full story.

Currently I have an Octavia and my wife has a Mini. Whichever of us is driving we find we travel much faster in the Skoda without realising it since the ride is so much more refined. Could this be a factor? Speed makes such a difference to range on an EV you would not have to go more than a couple of MPH faster in an M3 than in the Kona to find that the range was dropping a lot faster. Not saying the Kona is bad at motorway speeds, never driven one, but I'm sure it and the Tesla are at least different to some degree.

May well be, as I've found (well, had it pointed out to me...) that my driving definitely changes with the type of car I'm driving. Years ago, when I went through a "BMW phase", my wife reckoned that I'd turned into a bit of a (rather older) boy racer, especially when I had a 325i back in the late 1980's. When I had a Shogun 4x4 (mainly as I needed a big tow car at the time) she pointed out that I tended to "bully" other drivers (something to do with being sat up high in something built like a tank?).

One reason I had several Prius cars (the plural of Prius is?) was that somehow the car tended to make me drive smoothly and economically, and SWMBO stopped complaining about my driving (almost). Driving a Prius is a bit dull, but very comfortable and stress-free. When I bought the i3 last year I found that I started reverting to the way I used to drive back when I first started driving, and had a succession of tweaked Mini's. Being small, agile and relatively nippy encourages the use of its reasonably good acceleration, although the handling of the i3 leaves a bit to be desired, especially in the wet; it's just far too easy to get the rear end to break away.

Quite agree, these cars are expensive, but personally for me worth every penny. If you can afford it there is no need to try an justify them with man maths, just get one an enjoy!

A Kona is more efficient that is beyond doubt, but cars for me have to deliver more than just numbers on a page, its about the ownership experience. All I can say after 40K miles driving these things is they are the best cars I've owned by some margin.

Expensive, unreliable(very), not all that efficient, on paper I should hate our Tesla, but instead its the opposite :).
It’s 99% certain I will get one. Just not sure if it’s a SR or LR. The man maths comes in for LR > SR haha.

Reactions: gangzoom
Not saying the Kona is bad at motorway speeds, never driven one, but I'm sure it and the Tesla are at least different to some degree.

Oddly enough, we seem to drive slower in the M3. First, its so easy to maintain speed with pinpoint accuracy, and I'm not talking about using TACC/AP, but the M3 feels faster so we find we are cruising just below 70 rather than just above, although this may be to do with the M3 being spot on GPS speed where as our Passat would indicate 74/75 at 70mph GPS speed. Certainly enough tyre rumble to let you know how fast you are progressing.

Reactions: Roy W.
It’s 99% certain I will get one. Just not sure if it’s a SR or LR. The man maths comes in for LR > SR haha.

Mission creep on these cars is easily done, we started our Tesla journey with a bare bones base spec 60D S

27794704381_0ac400cbf2_c_d.jpg

And yet we are now driving around in a 6 seater X with FSD optioned and 22inch rims, so go for it :).

people who drive a M3, and may, possibly, be just a bit tempted to use the much higher performance

For me a long journey is tootling along dual carriageway with the traffic flow at 70 MPH, maybe touching 80 MPH, but probably averaging nearer to 50 MPH overall. Driving like I stole it! only happens on shorter / rural journeys, where range is not an issue. Thus I am surprised that long journey M3 does not seem to be performing close to Spec.

i have the m3p on sport mode all the time. Silly to have it any other way

Indeed, me too :), but my experience with MS P was that on long journeys that, with TACC/AP set to 75 MPH or so, my consumption was "as expected", and I very rarely had opportunity to floor-it. Even if I did that up the occasional ramp, there weren't many opportunities on those sorts of journeys, so little impact on overall consumption.

Dunno ... maybe folk have long journeys that invite spirited driving - the Highlands maybe? I drove from Anglesey to Telford Supercharger along an empty A5 having started off from a destination charger, and I didn't hang about :) but I hadn't expected the destination charger to be available and had charge enough for a planned "sensible" drive to Telford

So in my view the published figures don’t tell the full story

Kona has always had an excellent "frugal" reputation ... but M3 has impressively efficient Motors (stuffing them into MS has significantly improved its range as "Raven"). Seems odd to me that M3 is not achieving better results.

Reactions: Roy W.
See 0:23 for 60-120 kph comparison

Thanks for the YouTube link, seems like 25 fps (seems a strange number ... no rounding on the maths though, but resolution is 0.04s at best, and allowing one frame error then 0.08s)

Test M3P M3LR
0-62 3.9s 4.8s
37-75 3.0s 3.5s

Test M3P M3LR SplitP SplitLR Delta
0 MPH -
20MPH 1.24s 1,60s
40MPH 2.32s 2.88s 1.08s 1.28s +0.20s
50MPH 3.00s 3.64s 0.68s 0.76s +0.08s
60MPH 3.68s 4.56s 0.68s 0.92s +0.24s

Test M3P M3LR Delta
40MPH -
60MPH 1.36s 1.68s +0.32s

Test M3P M3LR SplitP SplitLR Delta
40MPH -
50MPH 0.92s 1.08s 0.60s 0.72s +0.12s
60MPH 1.64s 2.00s 0.72s 0.92s +0.20s
70MPH 2.52s 3.08s 0.88s 1.08s +0.20s

Test M3P M3LR Delta
40MPH -
60MPH 1.64s 2.00s +0.36s

40MPH -
70MPH 2.52s 3.08s +0.56s

So M3P is 0.4s faster 40-60, and 0.5s faster 40-70. I wonder how many feet that saves when passing a car doing a steady 40 MPH ...

Original data in case anyone wants to check it

0 MPH -
20MPH 1:06 1:15
40MPH 2:08 2:22
50MPH 3:00 3:16
60MPH 3:17 4:14

60 KPH-
40MPH 0:08 0:09
50MPH 0:23 1:02
60MPH 1:16 2:00
70MPH 2:13 3:02

Thanks for the YouTube link, seems like 25 fps (seems a strange number ... no rounding on the maths though, but resolution is 0.04s at best, and allowing one frame error then 0.08s)

Putting my ex BBC TV Computer Graphics Workshop hat on, that’s a proper frame rate ;) Good old UK 50 fields/25 frames per second not this 60hz or higher crap you get these days :D Shame on many monitors it doesn’t display clean/native rate so can cause confusion.

Reactions: WannabeOwner