TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

MA - anti-Tesla bill and pro-Tesla bill both dead for this session

Discussion in 'New England' started by LMB, Mar 24, 2014.

1. LMB

LMB Member

#1 LMB, Mar 24, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
    On March 19, all bills for this two-year session of the legislature were required to be reported on one way or another by committee.

The auto dealers' anti-Tesla bill making it illegal for manufacturers to sell directly to consumers was "sent to study," which is Massachusetts-ese for dead for this session.

The same recommendation was made for Rep. Lynch's pro-Tesla bill which explicitly legalizes such sales for manufacturers which have never used dealers.

Both of these bills may be re-filed any time starting next January, when the new legislative session begins. My guess is that based on recent progress by the dealers in other states, they are not going to give up now.

2. Electric700

Electric700 Member

Thanks for that. Now would be the perfect time to contact the Massachusetts legislature and show support for the pro-Tesla bill. This way, there will be justification for representatives to reintroduce this one or a new version later this year or next.

3. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

Done. I quoted some bits out of both the conservative and liberal press, making Christie look like a bought hack for backing the auto dealers. Do they really want Massachusetts getting the same coverage?

4. EdA

EdA Model S P-2540

Thanks for the update LMB!