Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MA - legislative hearing on anti-Tesla bill scheduled in November - let's show up!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well things went well yesterday! 4 Model S owners spoke as well as a Plug-in-Prius owner. Tesla legal was there was well.
Quite the Tesla day as I went from there to the Carbon Tax talk at Babson College afterwards.

Great article in the Globe today - it's "above the fold" on the website. I don't know where it is in the paper because I don't get the paper anymore.

Tesla battles auto dealers on direct sales to consumers - Business - The Boston Globe

WBUR was there as well, and took our cards - they say they're doing a big feature and will get in touch with us for more quotes. So all told, a great outing. I felt most of the queries from legislators were friendly. On the other hand, they were short on attention because the House was in session and they kept leaving to vote.

My rep's chief of staff suggested we each follow up with a paper letter to all the committee members - short, but recapping our testimony. Pollux has suggested this too, based on his experience. My rep and his chief of staff disagreed on whether a personal visit was worth it, but I may try to make some.

Meanwhile, those who couldn't make it can contribute big time by writing the committee members and also their own reps, and calling their reps and talking to an aide, at the very least. The message is: support H. 241, which makes it legal for manufacturers to sell their cards directly to consumers if they have no franchises in the state. This is consumer-friendly, giving us the choice to buy cars how we wish. Don't act favorably on Section 2 of S. 129, which makes it illegal for manufacturers to sell directly to consumers even if they have no franchises selling their cars in the state.

Here are the members of the Joint Committee on Consumer Protection and Professional Licensure:

Joint Committee on Consumer Protection and Professional Licensure

Great, thanks for the updates! I also love that in the Comments section there is one from someone who attended the Pricing Carbon Panel @ Babson last night and was one of the winners of a ride in a Tesla! Awesome - great job everyone!

Thanks for the info! As a recent grad who just purchased a first vehicle (not tesla unfortunately), I emailed Rep. Scibak how frustrating it was for me to purchase my Honda. How current sales infrastructures do not benefit the consumer at all. He replied back right away and forwarded it as testimony ! woohoo can't wait to purchase my gen iii

Rep. Scibak, the House chair of the joint committee on this bill, got back to me immediately after I sent comments in favor of the pro-Tesla bill. I'd strongly encourage others to contact him, too.

MA - legislative hearing on anti-Tesla bill scheduled in November - let's sho...

It was a good day (afternoon and evening events) - thanks to Laura, Ed, Alan and Jessica for organizing.

I liked that the Globe article was supportive as well, and quoted you, Laura! But wish they had put your comments in context as one of four MS owners who came to testify. Apparently a rarity for plain old constituents to show up and speak at these committee hearings. The article leads one to assume the reporter just found an owner to interview, not that you were there.

Great!

- - - Updated - - -

Folks,

I think the obvious next steps are:

(1) Thank-you notes from those of us who testified to the committee members at the hearing. Sadly, the list I was promised by an assistant at the hearing never materialized. I'll have to track it down.

(2) Get an e-mail campaign going again from Massachusetts Tesla residents to their representatives and senators. Maybe also email from non-MA folks, although it might just have volume value rather than hey-those-are-my-voters value.

I'm happy to start pushing these things along, but I'm afraid it'll have to be after December 3. I'm all tied up from now until then with family stuff. If anyone else wants to start pushing these things, please feel free! Or... any other steps you think wise.

Thanks,
Alan

Nice to see an editorial in support of Tesla

From the MetroWest Daily News
"We think it’s simpler than that. Markets should be open to innovative products and innovative business models. State laws that serve no public purpose other than protect the interests of entrenched industries should be repealed.
http://www.wickedlocal.com/hudson/news/opinions/x915447658/Editorial-Make-way-for-Tesla

I couldn't agree more. If ever there was a case of the government protecting special interests this is it.

I think the obvious next steps are:

(1) Thank-you notes from those of us who testified to the committee members at the hearing. Sadly, the list I was promised by an assistant at the hearing never materialized. I'll have to track it down.

(2) Get an e-mail campaign going again from Massachusetts Tesla residents to their representatives and senators. Maybe also email from non-MA folks, although it might just have volume value rather than hey-those-are-my-voters value.

I'm happy to start pushing these things along, but I'm afraid it'll have to be after December 3. I'm all tied up from now until then with family stuff. If anyone else wants to start pushing these things, please feel free! Or... any other steps you think wise.

Thanks,
Alan

I think we should also offer test rides to the Committee members - let them see and learn about the innovative car as well as the business model. Bloomberg wrote about the impact of test drives in North Carolina: Tesla Woos Car Guys With Rides to Counter Dealers’ Cash - Bloomberg

Yesterday I was interviewed by the WBUR (NPR) reporter who came to the hearing - just after she visited the MADA to get their side of the story. I gave her and a photographer a ride in my S85 while she interviewed me on tape, after walking through the touchscreen and features. At the end the photographer took some exterior shots. Should run after Thanksgiving, likely on air and on their website.

Tomorrow morning 12/4 NPR's Morning Edition will air the story about the battle between Tesla and the MA Auto Dealers Association, by Asma Khalid who was at the hearing and who interviewed me with a photographer last week. The story will also appear on wbur.org.