Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MA MOR-EV rebate denial

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently purchased a LR AWD and love it so far.

However, I waited and took this vehicle because it was discounted, and therefore under 50k and qualifying for the state rebate (so I thought). Essentially my $2k price adjustment becomes $4500 off with rebate. This was all confirmed in numerous emails discussing inventory vehicles with my SA.

Today I got word from the state that it the vehicle does not qualify, they claim it goes by sticker price, not price paid.

Waiting supposed documentation to the contrary from the Tesla dealer. Not holding my breath though as I talked to the person at the state and they were not budging, insisting price adjustments do not factor.

Not sure what course of action to take. It is “only” 2500 but it factored heavily into my decision to take a discounted vehicle with miles v. New. I could return vehicle, as it’s within seven days. Not sure if Tesla would make it right since I was advised I was receiving the rebate, but I doubt that as well.

Massachusetts buyers beware!

Yes they factor destination which pushes the car to 50,290. Not sure what the regulatory fee is
Unfortunately this is true and clear in theIr FAQ but defies common sense. Other states with a similar program do not include destination. This program is to specifically enhance EV adoption but not if you are "rich" in MA. The early program dollars went to 100k Teslas and someone got upset and they drew the line at 50k.

Unfortunately this is true and clear in theIr FAQ but defies common sense. Other states with a similar program do not include destination. This program is to specifically enhance EV adoption but not if you are "rich" in MA. The early program dollars went to 100k Teslas and someone got upset and they drew the line at 50k.
The destination being included is clear but the purchase price is a matter of debate. If they are going off purely msrp or sticker price, why does it say purchase or total cash price? My P&S says the Purchase price is 48xxx.

further, for a lease vehicle it says to use “agreed upon price”. look up “agreed upon price” anywhere in relation to a vehicle lease and that is defined as the negotiated price or the lease. It is not consistent.

going to see where the appeal process goes. Not surprisingly that’s not really defined.

I'm a couple steps behind OP, still shopping around and deciding which Model 3 to buy. Specifically looking at a $48K LR-AWD in North Carolina.

Is it safe to say that the current state of the Massachusetts MOR-EV program, will not honor the discounted price that Tesla gives for demo vehicles?

Looking at the FAQ of the MOR-EV website, it seems the key is the Purchase Agreement stating the 'Total Cash Price' be less than $50K: Frequently Asked Questions | MOR-EV

What is required for a vehicle to be eligible for MOR-EV?
  1. The vehicle must be new and manufactured by the original equipment manufacturer (OEM) or its authorized licensee. Vehicles considered new solely for determination of compliance with state emissions standards are not eligible.
  2. The vehicle must be on the list of Eligible Vehicles on the date of purchase or lease.
  3. The purchase price of the vehicle as reflected on the purchase or lease agreement must be under $50,000.
  4. The purchase price will be listed on your purchase agreement as “Total Cash Price” or on the lease agreement as “Agreed Upon Value”, or similar. The purchase price includes, but is not limited to, optional features, any applicable delivery and documentation charges. The purchase price does not include sales tax.

I emailed MOR-EV last week to ask that specific question. They said regardless if it's a demo and has been marked down, they still go by the original price:

Per their email: "The fees, options, and accessories are included in the purchase price of the vehicle. We do not consider sales tax and price adjustments as part of the purchase price of the vehicle."

I emailed MOR-EV last week to ask that specific question. They said regardless if it's a demo and has been marked down, they still go by the original price:

Per their email: "The fees, options, and accessories are included in the purchase price of the vehicle. We do not consider sales tax and price adjustments as part of the purchase price of the vehicle."

Thanks for doing that and sharing!

it’s so sad that people are missing out on a $2500 rebate by going over a couple hundred dollars.

Looks like he going with a Model 3 SR+

it’s so sad that people are missing out on a $2500 rebate by going over a couple hundred dollars.

They said we'd have to contact local politicians to get anything changed. I can't imagine that going anywhere, especially if we're asking them to change the rules so one specific auto manufacturer can make more money.

Problem being it is not consistent with the program language at all. It says nothing of msrp, full retail etc. It even says “agreed upon value” for a lease. If someone can find a definition Or example for “agreed upon value” that does not say it is a negotiated value after incentives, discount etc. let me know.

They need to change the language in their material so it reflects their policy. Right now it does not.

just received notice I won my appeal and will get the rebate. Not sure if they will change their stance going forward though.

WOAH! Congrats!

Any tips for people who will try to go a similar route to what you did? How to and what to say to the MOR-EV people or the Tesla Sales Rep?
Sent you a pm. The MOR EV program should start or continue (debatable if they approved them In the past or not) to approve demos for the grant unless they change the verbiage in their manual/online documentation. As I have said in past post their documentation is not consistent with their stated stance that the price is full retail.

You think with the price drop last night it will be easier to get now? We are waiting on a Y but a $2k price drop and now qualifying for the $2.5k state rebate makes it an $8.5k price difference between the LR 3 and LR Y, which is a tougher gap to ignore.

The Model 3 Long Range will for sure qualify now! Before the price reduction, the LR barely didn't qualify because it was over by a couple hundred dollars w/ no upgrades and the destination fee.

The recent deduction of $2k will definitely bring it under $50k. I'll be upgrading to the white interior only, so that should still make it below $50k!

I'm placing the order today!

Reactions: Pa5001
The Model 3 Long Range will for sure qualify now! Before the price reduction, the LR barely didn't qualify because it was over by a couple hundred dollars w/ no upgrades and the destination fee.

The recent deduction of $2k will definitely bring it under $50k. I'll be upgrading to the white interior only, so that should still make it below $50k!

I'm placing the order today!

this is great news. I called that it would be dropped. Figured in June for end of quarter

Hi, I am getting a M3 LR AWD which lists the total cash price (after sales tax) as $50,245. Would I still be eligible for the state rebate ? The rebate has been a big driver in me ordering the vehicle. I'd want too negotiate with the Dedham center if that is not the case and bring it under the 50k value - given that it is so close too that line.

Please advise. If i'd have to negotiate, any tips would also be greatly helpful. Thanks!