Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MA Motor Vehicle Excise Tax - Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine is a P3D- with EAP and FSD and my excise tax has a valuation of $45K. I think I’ll take it :)

Keep in mind we don’t pay federal or local gas tax to maintain roads. Don’t make to much noise or they will find another way to get money out of us.

Thanks for the info. Did you have a chance to ask them if they charge extra for all ICE drivetrain upgrades as well? Eg the six cylinder, turbo, or AWD vs a four? Though in most cases that comes with a trim upgrade...

I did not. I am admittedly not very well-versed in the underlying laws/policies, though this has certainly been an educational experience in that regard. :)

I just pulled out the bill, valuation is $45,900. So if that's 90% of the MSRP they are assuming a $50k MSRP. Guessing it's something like this, 35k base + 9k LR + 5k AWD. Unless they are assuming 6k for the AWD option? I can't keep track of what that costs.

I spoke with someone today who received the same bill. The $45,900 works out to an MSRP of $51K, and she did indeed pay $6K for the AWD option. So, theoretically, that should make her valuation 35K + 9K + 6K = 50K, but somehow the RMV added on another 1K, because...? o_O

I just looked at my sticker. I’m glad I didn’t send that in. First line is the car, 35k, next one is the performance upgrade for 29k. If I would have submitted the window sticker for an abatement I might have shot my self in the foot.

This is really the crux of the problem, and the reason why I am being taxed based on an MSRP of $53K: at some point, Tesla's window stickers stopped itemizing the pricing for the premium interior, and lumped it into the trim level. As far as the RMV is concerned, I bought a $35K car with an $18K drivetrain, they have no way of telling that $5K of that is an interior upgrade.

I'm fine with the RMV's reasoning, but the inconsistent valuations make it seem like they're just going by the last window sticker that someone happens to fax to them for a given Model 3 variant. And even then, the math doesn't always seem to follow their own principles. (Though in the RMV's defense, not many other car manufacturers change the MSRP of a vehicle's options on a monthly basis...)

Count me among those who would like to see Tesla send the RMV a Model 3 price sheet (including variations in option price by month) to remove all of the guesswork on the RMV's part.

Reactions: PeterK
Just got my 2018 excise tax bill for my Medium Range M3. Valuation is $39600 which leads me to think the MA RMV believes that the MSRP of a 2018 Medium Range with PUP is $35,000 base +$4000 battery +$5000 PUP= $44000. Does anyone have a window sticker that actually breaks out PUP from the battery? My window sticker lumps all options together. I wish Tesla would send the RMV the correct information so we aren't being taxed on what is effectively an "option".

Reactions: Bokonon
Just got my 2018 excise tax bill for my Medium Range M3. Valuation is $39600 which leads me to think the MA RMV believes that the MSRP of a 2018 Medium Range with PUP is $35,000 base +$4000 battery +$5000 PUP= $44000. Does anyone have a window sticker that actually breaks out PUP from the battery? My window sticker lumps all options together. I wish Tesla would send the RMV the correct information so we aren't being taxed on what is effectively an "option".

Take a look at your actual giant sticker vs. the printout paper sticker that Tesla gave you in the packet. My real sticker broke everything out as options.
Although, I faxed it to the RMV and they then said they didn't care what the sticker said anyway. :rolleyes:
Valuation for MR should definitely be lower, but RMV overvalued everyone and don't seem to be aware of options.