Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MA Motor Vehicle Excise Tax - Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

PeterK

Model X, 3 & Y Owner
Supporting Member
Jan 17, 2013
Cambridge, MA
Has anyone received their Massachusetts Model 3 Excise Tax bill?

I got my 2018 Excise Tax bill for the Model 3 I picked up just over a month ago. My car is a non-Performance AWD, $60,000 price paid.

The bill is for $529.69, based on a stated value of $50,850. Which raises a number of questions.

First, where did they get the value? I've heard that they use the base value, but according to a Monroney sticker photo I found via TMC (see below - I didn't get one with my car for some reason), the base is $35,000. If you add in the Long Range Dual Motor it's $53,000. I don't know where they got $50,850 from. I may try to argue $35,000.

Photo Aug 20, 10 47 06 AM.jpg

Second, even if $50,850 is the right amount, I should be paying that time 90% (first year) x .025 ($25 per $1000 of value) x. 5/12 (five months, August through December), or $476.72. So where does $529.69 come from? Actually, I know where it appears to come from - it's based on the $50,850 but without applying the 90% factor for year of manufacture. Puzzling.

I plan to call and dispute it. I had to do the same thing with my very early X, a P90D which they tried to price as a Signature model. After a few calls and sending in some info, I succeeded.

Any thoughts or experiences with Model 3 appreciated - thanks in advance.

Edit: Here is the link to the MA Excise Tax site: Motor Vehicle Excise

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9 and Bokonon
I'm interested as well. Based on the wording of excise tax it should be the based on base MSRP, which is 35k. I could see the argument that LR/AWD etc are models not options but that is how Tesla sells it, as options. All of my previously owned cars were all calculated on the base MSRP, including our SUV which has 20k or so in options.

Last edited:
Note that the valuation in the bill is not MSRP, but 90% of MSRP for the first year. Therefore, RMV is using $50,850 / 90% = $56500 as the MSRP.

Thanks, that makes sense of my second issue, as I hadn't realized they were already applying the 90%. Still doesn't explain where they got $56,500 from. Didn't get around to calling today - will try Monday.

One thing to note, every car I have had it is on the BASE MSRP, it has not ever included the cost of options. My lincoln MKX in the BASE MSRP, and I have 20k in options on that. Same with our Ford. I would expect them do the same thing for this car. I hope they do!

So I guess it won't be true base MSRP of 35k like I had hoped. They are considering short/long range and RWD/AWD model designations. I'm guessing they can determine all of that from the VIN to make it simple on their end. I'm hoping they can't distinguish between AWD and AWD performance...

I spoke to someone (Stephanie) on the phone at the RMV on Monday, and sent a fax with Excise Bill, my MVPA, and the above photo of the Monroney sticker because i didn't get one. I made the case for $35,000 as the base value. I expect it would be a stronger case if you could go to Tesla.com and order a $35,000 car now. In any event, I don't see why it should be $56,500 - that's probably just based on an RWD LR First Production with Autopilot and 19" wheels.

I guess we'll see what happens...

Reactions: TORQU3
Great news! I just received in the mail a copy of a letter from the RMV to the City of Cambridge Board of Assessors, informing them:

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN:

The Registry's records were in error regarding the following vehicle's M.S.R.P. According to our updated records, the following information is correct for the vehicle that is covered by PAS registration EVxxxx for the year(s) of 2018:

Owner: [My name and address]
Vehicle: 2018 TESL MODEL3
Vin#: 5YJ3E1EB4JF064xxx
M.S.R.P.: 35000
Valuation: 90%

I have attached screen-prints of the correct information. Please adjust your records accordingly.

I hope this isn't just a one-off, and that they have updated the Model 3 for all accordingly.
Peter

Reactions: mociaf9
Great news! I just received in the mail a copy of a letter from the RMV to the City of Cambridge Board of Assessors, informing them:

I hope this isn't just a one-off, and that they have updated the Model 3 for all accordingly.
Peter
Wow that would be awesome. Based on every other car I have owned in MA for the past 20 years, that's exactly what I would expect, BASE MSRP before options.

Reactions: Pollux and EdA
I just got my excise tax bill from Medford for $647 with a valuation of $5170.

I find it interesting that these are different for everyone, I thought the RMV set these values.
Is this something I should contact someone in my town over? Not that I have any faith they will bother responding or helping.

I just got my excise tax bill from Medford for $647 with a valuation of $5170.

I find it interesting that these are different for everyone, I thought the RMV set these values.
Is this something I should contact someone in my town over? Not that I have any faith they will bother responding or helping.

It should be the same basis for all, provided by the RMV to the city and town tax offices. I think the state auto dealers association is involved with providing the information to RMV for all other makes, but not Teslas of course. Once the RMV gets corrected it should be fine. Maybe I’ll contact someone in Tesla Government Relations and suggest they proactively communicate base prices of all cars in future, to save their customers $ and hassle.

As for your case, I think you’re missing a digit on the valuation. Also what car do you have? I suggest you call the RMV at ‭(857) 368-8080‬ to appeal your valuation and tax.

• Helpful
Reactions: JWardell