Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MA Vanity Plates at Delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Bokonon

Title-customizing Member
Jan 28, 2016
Newton, MA
Hey all,

Question for Model S / X owners with Massachusetts vanity plates: did any of you find a way to have those plates in-hand when you took delivery? Or did you take delivery with generic plates, only to turn those plates in a few days/weeks later?

I've got a 3/31/2016 Model 3 reservation, and I'm interested in tagging it with vanity plates. In an ideal world, I'd order the plates roughly 80-90 days in advance of my anticipated delivery date, pick them up en route to my delivery appointment, and have them mounted instead of generic plates. From what I've read, though, Massachusetts has some "unique" laws governing the mechanics of motor vehicle registrations and plates, and this scenario just doesn't seem possible.

I've considered the idea of ordering the plates now, attaching them to one of our two current cars, and using the seven-day transfer law when the Model 3 arrives... but that scenario doesn't work either, because the car that the Model 3 will replace is a lease (not a trade), and unless Tesla is [knock-on-wood] staggeringly late with Model 3 deliveries, it's very likely that I'll have anywhere between 5-10 months left on the lease when I pick up my Model 3 (which is its own issue).

So, unless there's some kind of regulatory loophole somewhere, it seems like I'll have to take delivery with generic plates, only to swap them a few days later when I pick up the vanities (incurring additional radioactive exposure at the RMV in the process). Is there a better way?

I'm running into that myself.

I ordered my vanity plates to replace the plate on my "old car" with the Model X delivery timeframe in mind. The plates showed up almost exactly on time. Tesla pushed off the car delivery, however.

I have a buyer for my "old car." I expect to get a plate with the Model X, drive it and my "old car" to AAA, and have them do the paperwork to move my vanity plate "from my old car to my Tesla," and I put that in quotes because I can't bring myself to put the Tesla plate on my "old car." And then I will complete the paperwork to sell the "old car" to the buyer and keep the "old plate."

I really SHOULD put the new plate on the "old car," but I just can't.