Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MA - write your legislators. Keep Tesla's sales model legal.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I admit, I am posting this here after posting in the New England forum, but I worry that many Massachusetts owners miss posts over there. If I have trespassed, the forum gods will punish me accordingly, but here it is:

Yesterday the Joint Committee on Consumer Protection and Professional Licensure held a hearing on bills relating to auto sales. Great article in the Boston Globe:

Tesla battles auto dealers on direct sales to consumers - Business - The Boston Globe

Short version: car dealers have filed S. 129, section 2 of which makes it illegal for manufacturers to sell their cars directly to consumers, even if they have no franchises in the state carrying their cars. Rep. Linsky of Natick, where the Tesla store is, has filed H. 241 to explicitly legalize Tesla's sales model of selling directly to consumers, as long as they have no franchises selling their cars in-state.

The hearing went well, but folks who liked their car-buying experience, or who look forward to having this experience, or who wish they could have this experience, might want to tell their reps and senators about it, especially if your rep is a member of the committee:

Joint Committee on Consumer Protection and Professional Licensure

Message: Report out H. 241 favorably. Consumer choice is involved. We should have the right to choose between these two car-buying experiences, and may the best sales model win in the marketplace. The only immediate practical effect of section 2 of S. 129 would be to shut down the Tesla store in Natick, and put their employees out of work.