Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mach-E beats Tesla Model 3 as Consumer Reports top electric vehicle for 2022

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
CR Ratings is a recurring event every year. If Tesla's M3 is rated lower this year then Tesla has another shot next year to win back the numero uno position if it is able to address some of the issues and win back consumer confidence. We as Tesla owners want Tesla to win back the top position based on customer survey feedback and experience.

Tesla Sales seem to continue to climb.
Soon 4 factories = Fremont, CA; China; Berlin, DE; Austin, TX
Almost all others in decline.
Exactly. CR's ratings might as well occupy the fiction category of your favorite bookstore. Tesla sold 1 million EVs in 2021. Mach-Es on the other hand are like an endangered species only found in certain habitats at night during a full moon. Down here, millionaires come dime a dozen and you'll see them driving Teslas, Mercedes, Audis, BMWs and Porsches. Not Fords. No offence to those who drive Fords. I've owned them myself. I've actually seen more Plaids in the wild than Mach-Es.

• Love
Reactions: Brando
Their reliability ratings and customer satisfaction ratings are survey based. But they buy the actual cars and do their own tests of performance, comfort, etc..

Yeah, but then they come up with utterly weird conclusions like saying the "yoke steering wheel" on Teslas is the main reason for it dropping 7 places in the brand ranking... despite that yoke being on like 0.1% of all Teslas being made.

Yeah, I think by now anyone who's honest would consider CR a total joke. And whether they rated the Model 3 at the top or bottom, we know it's the better EV - by far. In fact, most of the world knows it except the die-hard Ford faithful or the first-time buyers clueless about what they're about to get into.

I could accept the fact that a first-year model is going to have growing pains, but what's happening to the Mach-E is inexcusable. To say it's inferior to the Model 3 / Y is an understatement:

Infotainment: it's not even close. Sync4 is just broken from top to bottom.
Point A to B reliability: Mach-e batteries are failing left and right leaving owners stranded. And Ford has no clue what the problem is. And that's assuming everything else works as it should.
Software design: Again, it's not even close. Their OTAs are practically non-existent (a couple games don't count) and their multi-module design is just a disaster when it comes to overall reliability.
Thermal system: Inadequate. An embarrassing hose-fest of a design that screams parts-bin cheap.
Performance: Disappointing. The car is a total dud above 80 mph because of poor engineering and poorly sourced parts.
Handing: Inconsistent is the word being thrown around now, and that's on the GT.
BlueCruise: a poor attempt at copying Autopilot.
Charging: Slower charging and a poor charging curve - even after the update (at least those that were lucky to get it).
Service quality: Tesla's service locations, even with all their faults, can't hold a candle to Ford's often shady, incompetent dealership network.

Even if I wasn't a Tesla fan, knowing what I know now, the Mach-E wouldn't even make the list of possibilities. It's a work in progress at best.
CR has fallen off the wagon. Especially after this crap…

Were you guys citing CR’s bias and whack scoring system when the Model 3 was the leader before just now being supplanted?

How about we celebrate competition and these companies pushing each other to innovate, improve, and provide the best product for consumers at the best price and value possible

I just don't get why some [FILL IN THE BLANK BRAND] owners get so personally invested in everyone else doing poorly. I've never been brand loyal - maybe it's just me.
I think brand loyalty is a human thing. Back when, I researched and found Toyota to have the best cars, with far fewer problems when new than the American brands. I switched, and was glad ever since, and the Toyota van was fun when the kids were around. Toyota had less maintenance, and cost less up front. But now Tesla shows up. You can buy a Model 3 for about the price of a Honda, and my MS is amazing, though it costs about double a 3. And we find that we no longer have to take it in for "routine maintenance", we can charge in the garage, there are quick chargers all across the USA and elsewhere, it's quiet, and wicked fast. What fun!

I don't rejoice if another car company does poorly. I think they should figure out that electrics are the future and stop building diesel F150s, for example, and supplant those noisy pocket rockets some of the kids drive. But that time will come. Tesla's goal was to show the way, and they have done that admirably.

• Love
Reactions: Brando
No and no. CR is money and only money driven. I don't care if it likes Tesla or not, but it way too often posts total BS not just about cars but basically about anything else.
Sloan growing GM and you all know Ford -- seems auto industry basically started CR via foundations.

As an owner of a Mach E, I get the hype. It is a phenomenal car. My first BEV, my first American car. It is just beyond impressive. It's kind of fun to be stopped daily and asked about the car. Everyone loves it. The waiting list is almost a year long. After the tax credit, it ends up costing as much as a Camry. A little competition is always a good thing in my opinion. It will drive innovation for Tesla.

I think the Y is a better car overall than the Mach-E, but the gap isn't huge. When the Y was $40k, I would recommend the Y to everyone, but the Y's price has gone way up since. Personally I'd still buy the Y, but the price gap has gotten so big I can't really call the Y a better value than the Mach-E anymore.

The head engineer from the Model Y project (Doug Field) now works at Ford, BTW.

As an owner of a Mach E, I get the hype. It is a phenomenal car. My first BEV, my first American car. It is just beyond impressive. It's kind of fun to be stopped daily and asked about the car. Everyone loves it. The waiting list is almost a year long. After the tax credit, it ends up costing as much as a Camry. A little competition is always a good thing in my opinion. It will drive innovation for Tesla.
It's your first BEV and you're still in the honeymoon phase. I'd be interested to hear your honest thoughts 6 months from now.

I think the Y is a better car overall than the Mach-E, but the gap isn't huge. When the Y was $40k, I would recommend the Y to everyone, but the Y's price has gone way up since. Personally I'd still buy the Y, but the price gap has gotten so big I can't really call the Y a better value than the Mach-E anymore.

The head engineer from the Model Y project (Doug Field) now works at Ford, BTW.
Doing an apples to apples comparison, the price for a Mach-E Premium AWD (minus tax incentive) is $57,800 while a Model Y dual motor is 58,990. Not a huge difference and that tax incentive isn't going to last forever, plus there's the Ford dealer ADMs to deal with.

The Ford Mach-e has been recalled for contactor failures, affecting roughly 50K cars. Ford has released a software fix that addresses the safety issue of sudden total loss of propulsion without warning. However, the contactor can still fail; but with the software fix, will not result in a total loss of power without warning. Instead, a failing contactor will result in reduced power with notification to the driver to get service now.

Failure rate has been .5%, but that is so far and may increase with time.

Consumer Reports is about as reliable as the Ford Mach-e.

Doing an apples to apples comparison, the price for a Mach-E Premium AWD (minus tax incentive) is $57,800 while a Model Y dual motor is 58,990. Not a huge difference and that tax incentive isn't going to last forever, plus there's the Ford dealer ADMs to deal with.
Ford can't deliver anyway. If you want an EV now, Tesla is the way to go. None of the others can deliver really.

Been shorting F stock here and there during the downturn. This news broke just before the long weekend.

RT

• Informative
Reactions: thesmokingman