Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mach-E beats Tesla Model 3 as Consumer Reports top electric vehicle for 2022

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Take a look at who is a significant benefactor to CR [FORD FOUNDATION], also look into the resume of the CR Editor [FORD MOTOR COMPANY]. Rule is don't bite the hand that feeds you.

I find it amazing that when the CR report is based on user responses [TESLA LEADS THE PACK] but when it is based on CR analysis [TESLA SUCKS]

I recently let my 40+ year subscription laps.....do you wonder why

Reactions: superblast
Take a look at who is a significant benefactor to CR [FORD FOUNDATION], also look into the resume of the CR Editor [FORD MOTOR COMPANY]. Rule is don't bite the hand that feeds you.

I find it amazing that when the CR report is based on user responses [TESLA LEADS THE PACK] but when it is based on CR analysis [TESLA SUCKS]

I recently let my 40+ year subscription laps.....do you wonder why
From the CR site: [by the way Sloan is GM]

Our donors and philanthropic partners play a critical role in creating a fairer, safer, and healthier marketplace, and we are immensely grateful to the many organizations and more than 575,000 people who support our work. CR's diverse community of philanthropists, foundations, and nonprofits partners includes the Ford Foundation, the Craig Newmark Philanthropies, and the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation, all of whom have fueled our efforts on behalf of consumers' digital privacy.

Car Buying Partners
TrueCar
The Consumer Reports Build & Buy Car Buying Service allows new car shoppers to build and price vehicles, see what others paid, and get upfront pricing on real inventory from more than 15,000 dealerships nationwide that participate in the TrueCar network.

President & CEO
Marta came to CR following 25 years of experience in public service, philanthropy, and mission-driven nonprofit management. At the Ford Foundation, she was vice president for global communications and an officer of the board. She led strategic communications and advocacy on a range of issues in the U.S. and around the world, including economic fairness, free and fair access to an open internet, and civil right

Are the Mach E's available for purchase yet? Maybe CR needs to edit their article and note that Mach-E's are not available in the US for the rest of the year.
We are members of a local Mustang group (Yea, long story). There was a gentleman a while back asking if anyone had one that him and his wife could look at. I mention to try the local ME forums and groups and also check Turo. We were headed to a local car event that evening. I mention we will be at this event with a Tesla if they wanted to compare. When they arrived they told us all the dealers in the area mention there was no Mach E's available. They ask, the dealers if they could just look at one and apparently there was none to look at. He did say a friend that works for service at one of the dealers did have them, just not available to purchase.

Curious to know what's happening in other parts of the Country.

1660228999034.png

How about we celebrate competition and these companies pushing each other to innovate, improve, and provide the best product for consumers at the best price and value possible
As I recall, the push for electrics was entirely on Tesla's shoulders. It was part of their initial idea, that building a great electric would force other companies (ie. Ford and GM) to start building them too. At this point, that hasn't succeeded a whole bunch because the gas engine cars are still selling well enough, even though Tesla is making inroads. They won't switch until they have to, and already they are offering a weak solution to people who are deciding they want an EV, selling them at a lower price, but not really mentioning that the cars have half, or less, of the range (of my S). They DO NOT WANT competition. The only people who are working on better battery packs or smoother, more powerful motors is TESLA, while GM and Ford simply add a little leather to the dashboard to attract the uneducated masses.

I bet the Lightning will be CR's top electric truck:

I bet the Lightning will be CR's top electric truck:

This customer is not happy. Oh, and that part happens to be a battery module replacement. Brings up an interesting though. I though there was a concern swapping out just modules and not the full battery pack due to differences in voltages ect..

1660325402436.png

This customer is not happy. Oh, and that part happens to be a battery module replacement. Brings up an interesting though. I though there was a concern swapping out just modules and not the full battery pack due to differences in voltages ect..

View attachment 840181
Swapping modules in a Tesla pack won't work, at least not long term. It is possible that Ford has done something to support/allow the cell/module differences. (Capacity/voltage/internal resistance/etc.) Or it is possible that they think they have, but don't yet have the experience to see what will happen long term. (The more fast charging/trips that occur the faster things will compound and go out of balance.)

edit: From looking at the thread I can't tell if they are talking about an electronic control module, or a battery module. It sort of looks like they are talking about an electronics module, like maybe the on-board charger?

Reactions: Darmie
Swapping modules in a Tesla pack won't work, at least not long term. It is possible that Ford has done something to support/allow the cell/module differences. (Capacity/voltage/internal resistance/etc.) Or it is possible that they think they have, but don't yet have the experience to see what will happen long term. (The more fast charging/trips that occur the faster things will compound and go out of balance.)

edit: From looking at the thread I can't tell if they are talking about an electronic control module, or a battery module. It sort of looks like they are talking about an electronics module, like maybe the on-board charger?
The module being replaced is called the contactor. Mechanical relays in the module.