Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mach-E: Ford Mustang Inspired EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Color me surprised that the first real Tesla competitor comes out of Ford, who had apparently been keeping their EV cards close to their chest.

They did their homework, this looks like a great crossover. If I was into crossovers, I would definitely be considering this vs a Y. I have like 10 Ford dealers that are closer than my Tesla service center (1.5 hours away) so that would be a huge benefit. Plus Electrify America is nearly on par with Tesla here in CA for my routes, they have been expanding a lot in the last year. (And I only supercharge a couple times a year anyway).

Biggest question is charging and efficiency. 47 miles range in 10 minutes with 150kW chargers. How many 150kw CCS chargers are around? Electrify America is expanding, but they are behind Tesla.

It should compete in performance and handling though, that's for sure. Will dealers be able to sell and service them?

This is not new to Ford. They have learned a lot in the past decade. Their battery management is second to none.

The Mach E is getting some hate on the Ford Mustang forums, with some owners saying they will dump their Mustangs if the new car sticks with the "Mustang" Mach E name....

I am not too surprised. Ford making it into a crossover and an EV is like a double whammy. Will be interesting once folks take them to the track, if they get some converts that way.

The Mach E is getting some hate on the Ford Mustang forums, with some owners saying they will dump their Mustangs if the new car sticks with the "Mustang" Mach E name....
bye.gif

Attachments

• bye.gif
    bye.gif
    1.8 MB · Views: 39
Reactions: GWord
I really hope it looks as wagon-y in person as it does in the photos. The rear 3/4 shot (which looks a LOT like a Y to me) gives me some pause.

Overall this looks like a really solid effort from Ford, though. Can you imagine a GT with trunk money AND the $7,500. Will be interested in seeing full specs on Monday.

I'm happy to seem them join the revolution with what looks like a "competitive" offer. First from a non Tesla US manufacturer. Nice to see them use the "E" term since they threatened to sue Tesla over it.

Also hoping more EVs from more manufacturers on the road reduces the vandalism and road rage attacks on Tesla owners.

I think it looks pretty great...asides for the nosecone. the mustang symbol looks tiny and the proportions seems off. for the record i did not much care for the original model S nose cone either, and much prefer the new front.

I would absolutely buy this over a Model 3 solely for that reason.

This does look like a compelling offering and with Ford’s dealer/service network added to the mix, would make me lean towards this over any entry-level Tesla.
You'll also prob get android auto and carplay... like most if not all other new Ford's. Also... Maybe it will get that keypad entry...like other Ford models.

I would absolutely buy this over a Model 3 solely for that reason.

This does look like a compelling offering and with Ford’s dealer/service network added to the mix, would make me lean towards this over any entry-level Tesla.
You do have to wonder if they really have a handle on battery management yet. Even took Tesla a while to get it optimized. And then there is the current lack of level 3 chargers for non Tesla EVs.

You do have to wonder if they really have a handle on battery management yet. Even took Tesla a while to get it optimized. And then there is the current lack of level 3 chargers for non Tesla EVs.

I don’t think Tesla even has a handle on battery management. See batterygate/chargegate.

I expect at least Ford would treat me like an actual customer.