Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mach-E: Ford Mustang Inspired EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Those posting numeric range, power and price comparisons to a Tesla aren’t wrong.

What they fail to identify is that many Ford vehicles are superior to a BMW Audi or MB when measured with some of the same metrics but yet both Ford and German companies sell plenty good enough to stay in business competing in areas that aren’t purely based on numbers.

That Ford has focused the effort and taken the risk to their existing brands like Mustang to release a 300 mile EV with levels of technology and performance that were dominated by Tesla is a great thing for the future of electrified transport.

I know from spending half my time on an auto forum not associated with Tesla that an alternative to Tesla will sell, just because it is an alternative.

Continually quoting the price/performance metrics in this thread is completely factual and IMHO also completely missing the point.

Yep, lots of people out there who love to spend more and get less. And are happy about that fact.

Will it have the ability to have HW 2.5 swapped out for HW 3.0 at no cost to the consumer?

Tesla doesn’t offer this either. The HW3.0 upgrade is not free, you had to pay for that. No one is getting it for free. The service tickets for the folks who have upgraded all say “customer pre-pay”. In hindsight, I am not sure I would have paid $3000 for a CPU upgrade if I had known that was what I was buying almost 2 years ago. Especially if I had known my warranty would be almost up by the time I got it.

Ford is unfortunately copying that Tesla feature too: selling software before it is released. Will be interesting to see how long it takes Ford to deliver on the hands free software upgrade. Hopefully it won’t take them over 3 years and counting.

Tesla doesn’t offer this either. The HW3.0 upgrade is not free, you had to pay for that. No one is getting it for free. The service tickets for the folks who have upgraded all say “customer pre-pay”. In hindsight, I am not sure I would have paid $3000 for a CPU upgrade if I had known that was what I was buying almost 2 years ago. Especially if I had known my warranty would be almost up by the time I got it.

Nope. I paid for HW 2.5 when I bought my 3 and was told by Tesla I’d get upgraded to HW 3.0 when it was ready. I don’t care what it says on my receipt. The cost of the HW upgrade to Tesla is minimal.

If you think FSD for 3k was for the upgraded HW specifically...you’re wrong. They may have included a couple hundred bucks, but the majority was for the software R&D and future functionality.

Nevermind that I paid 2k for FSD not 3k. How much is it now? 6k? You want to claim the cost of HW 3.0 increased that much?

Ford is unfortunately copying that Tesla feature too: selling software before it is released. Will be interesting to see how long it takes Ford to deliver on the hands free software upgrade. Hopefully it won’t take them over 3 years and counting.

Oh, so now you want to change the story and call it prepaying for software and not HW. Glad you got it right.

And I’m perfectly happy having paid for software ahead of time. My car has improved so much via all those firmware updates. I loved it the day I bought it. I don’t know what comes after love, but I’m there. (Appears Ford’s focus group studies also showed that OTA updates - prepaid or otherwise - was also the way to go.)

Just because you’re sour on how it works with Tesla doesn’t mean everyone else is. It’s like Christmas every time I get notifications for OTA updates. And no, I haven’t cared for a single second about the timing of features being implemented.

• Funny
Reactions: seattlite2004
How much is it now? 6k? You want to claim the cost of HW 3.0 increased that much?

I am guessing you are being obtuse for some unknown reason? The package buyers pay for today is not the same package that I bought. The FSD package today includes EAP functions. I paid $8k total for that two years ago.

And, honestly, I think the only meaningful thing I will get out of my FSD upgrade is the hardware. At least before I hit 120k miles and sell my car.

I am sure you are very happy with your FSD purchase, you have only been waiting since the fire sale earlier this year. :rolleyes:

It’s like Christmas every time I get notifications for OTA updates. .

LOL, I sure hope Tesla never disappoints you with a future OTA update by removing your performance, capping your battery or reducing your supercharger speeds like they have done to early S owners. Tesla OTA updates are a fickle beast. They are great when your car is new, but the older your car gets, the worse they become as they stop adding new features and start only adding issues. And if you are going to argue you can always choose to not update, turns out that isn’t true either. One, it is a requirement for the warranty, and two, Tesla has forcefully updated cars without owner consent in the past.

I hope your honeymoon with Tesla lasts forever and you are never disappointed.

I just read that Ford has decided to build these in Mexico.

Analysts are saying that's a risky move in today's political climate, and because it may affect the image of the very-American Mustang brand. Car buyers rarely care, but in the case of the Mustang brand, they might.

(I'm NOT taking a political stance, except to agree it's a risky business decision.)

Excellent video and summary from Transport Evolved:

I showed my wife the video and she was impressed that Ford has made a compelling EV and really liked the looks and features.

My wife owns a classic 2013 Model S and has refused to "downgrade" to a Model 3, or Y for that matter.
The Model S, even our ancient 2013 model, is her preference over a brand new Model 3.

The Model 3 doesn't have a power lift gate, or the fancy door handles of the S (which she loves), or an interior with screen in front of the driver (her preference). The Model Y solves only one of those "deficiencies" (her expert opinion).

My point : Even someone who loves their Tesla, doesn't necessarily love ALL Tesla's.

I firmly believe the Ford Mustang Mach-e is a compelling EV, and will sell independently and well against the competition, be that Tesla, or more likely, the real competition, gas SUV's.

I just read that Ford has decided to build these in Mexico.

Analysts are saying that's a risky move in today's political climate, and because it may affect the image of the very-American Mustang brand. Car buyers rarely care, but in the case of the Mustang brand, they might.

(I'm NOT taking a political stance, except to agree it's a risky business decision.)

Doubt it, no one cares that their Honda HRV, Chevy Silverado, Chevy Blazer, some Toyota Tacomas etc. come from Mexico.

In hindsight I agree... Wish I hadn't typed that.

What the analysts are saying about building a new car in Mexico could carry weight though, if building in Mexico becomes "less trade friendly".

Other than that, I don't care either. I've owned four ICE cars built in Mexico which lasted over 400K miles. One car died in a crash, and the other three I sold in good running condition.

I firmly believe the Ford Mustang Mach-e is a compelling EV, and will sell independently and well against the competition, be that Tesla, or more likely, the real competition, gas SUV's.

I think you've hit on an important point here. If the Ford Mustang Mach-E, VW ID.3, and other up-and-coming EVs simply chip away at Tesla's market share, then nobody wins except the fossil fuel industry. Tesla's market share isn't big enough to be divvied up among Tesla, Ford, VW, and others and have any of those automakers succeed at selling EVs. For these new EVs to be successful, they must lure buyers who would otherwise buy ICE vehicles. Not everybody likes Tesla's approach to cars, and that's fine. Having a market with EVs that do some things differently from Tesla may help get some ICE-buyers into EVs, and that's great. Viewed from this perspective, the problem with the Mustang Mach-E may be that it borrows too many ideas from Tesla. OTOH, it's got a very different type of exterior styling, it has a bunch of little features that are different (not better or worse, just different) from what Tesla offers, and I'm sure there are lots of brand-loyal Ford customers who will be happy to get into a Ford EV, even if they thought Tesla was too risky, too weird, or whatever. In the end, of course, time will tell; we'll just have to wait a couple of years to see how the thing sells, and whether it takes some of Tesla's market or expands the EV market. (Probably it'll do both, but with any luck more of the latter than the former.)

Thanks for the sources. I thought that the Mustang would be built at Hamtramck as it will be kept open for production of an EV.
You are confusing Ford with GM. Ford originally planned to build the Mach-E at Flat Rock next to the conventional Mustang, but shifted plans to Mexico around the time they decided to stop making sedans. It's going into the former Fiesta plant.