Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mach-E review from Model 3 SR+ owner...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was able to test drive a Mach-E Premium RWD in Rapid Red on March 20th. I thought I would share my experience coming from a 2019 Model 3 SR+ RWD Canadian owner.

Exterior.
The front trunk is tiny, has bizarre dividers that make putting in a pizza impossible. Granted, I only use my frunk for food take-out and pretty much nothing else. However, in the Tesla, I can open it remotely with my phone or one touch on the screen. In the Ford, you have to pull a 1980's lever twice from inside the car to get the frunk open.

Fit and Finish
Since this seems like something everything has to mention, I gave the car a quick run-through and noticed the fit and fish is good. I didn't measure gaps because I don't care. I did see exterior plastics were quite scuffed and in places roughed up. The Rapid Red is a super lovely colour, but the brilliant sunshine showed an awful lot of swirl marks. Whoever washed this car did a horrible disservice to the beautiful paint.

Interior
The interior is nice, nothing special, nothing terrible. The front seats are comfortable, but lack side bolsters that would add to the comfort. I love the armrest in my SR+, and I have to say the Mach-E was just OK.

The display behind the steering wheel, for my taste, has excellent resolution but is too close to the steering wheel. When I positioned the steering wheel for my driving position, the display's left and right sides are blocked by the steering wheel itself. I found myself moving my head around to see any important information I might be missing. There seemed to be a weird blue square in front of the vehicle icon, which didn't make much sense.

The larger portrait screen is in the wrong orientation. The software is laggy in comparison to Tesla. There are way too many options for this car, many of them buried in an endless tapping sequence. Did I mention there are way too many on-screen options? The plastic volume knob is a very cheap feeling, in my opinion, not needed. I understand the need for Ford to be different, but sticking on a knob makes no sense to me.

The phone charges worked excellently but are way too far away from the driver, maybe this is a good thing. The open space under the phone chargers is unusable. If you put something in there, you will forget about it and find it when you clean out your car. The accordion-style door under the armrest was near impossible to slide open. I'm sure it needed adjustment, but I felt I was going to break it.

Drive and Performance.
If you're coming from an ICE vehicle, the performance is good. The torque is adequate. The acceleration does appear to pause so slightly when you stomp on the accelerator. It does not throw you back into your seat. If you're coming from a Tesla, you will be disappointed. Well, at least I was. The acceleration and throw-your-neck-back in my SR+ are way more dramatic than the Mach-E. When stomping on the accelerator at 90KM, there is virtually no torque or push. The Tesla is way more fun to drive than the Mach-E. The Mach-E drive is quite good, quieter than my Model 3, and much softer. I consider it a "safe" compromise of comfort and performance. I found the front hood seemed way too big when driving, as I see way more of it than in my Model 3. The Mach-E was at 93% SoC and in unbridled mode for these tests.

Summary
Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic car, does a lot of things right. But with the long list of issues piling up on forums, along with the well documented charging problems, this will be a tough sell to consumers. Given the legacy of the dealership model, including service, it makes me wonder what the demographic this car is aimed at and how a legacy dealership will support this car. The MSRP for this model I test drove is $68,645 CDN or $77,568.85 after taxes and is still sitting on the lot waiting for a new home.

Thanks for your write up. You seem to feel like I do, in that it's hard to compete with Tesla. Add to your comments that Tesla has been in the EV business for several years showing other car manufacturers that it can be done instead of trying to play catch up, I'd say that such experience is worth something. But I'm glad other car makers are getting their feet wet at least.

Reactions: cicob
Great review. Couple things....

1. MME looks so much better. You may have omitted that because “looks are subjective” - but only up to a point. The MME looks a LOT better.

2. The MME’s frunk divider can easily be removed. It was required by regulators because the frunk is evidently large enough to exceed some child safety threshold. Not sure why the Y doesn’t likewise have dividers. Maybe it’s slightly smaller, or maybe Tesla dodged the regulators by not publishing a frunk capacity.

3. Sorry the driver’s instrument screen was hard for you to see. You don’t have to worry about that in a Tesla.

4. The MME interior is higher quality than a 3 or Y. I can’t specifically speak to “armrest comfort.” Sorry that the rolling cover in the center console proved a nuisance. Ford did not follow Tesla’s IKEA design. The open space beneath the chargers is very useful for holding an oversized Nalgene bottle. I speak from experience.

5. I don’t think Ford’s volume knob feels cheap. You may not be used to having a volume knob. It’s still more fun to twist a volume knob than toggle a steering wheel to really crank a stereo.

6. Yup, the Y and 3 are quicker off the line. As you note, that speed comes at a cost of cabin quiet and ride comfort. The Tesla’s are lighter. If you are a professional EV Drag Racer, you would be a FOOL to choose the MME. If you’re anyone else, not sure I’d make this a priority. Yes, your Tesla is faster, but it looks like a Prius. My MME looks faster. I’m turning heads everywhere I drive (especially with the grabber blue). The Y and the 3 are drab and boring. You really have to ask yourself, which matters more?

7. Not sure how it works in Canada, but here in the US the MME Premium Ext AWD is around $5k cheaper than a currently priced MYLR. It also appears to have longer range.

You asked who the MME would appeal to. Well me for starters. I had four basic criteria: (1) an SUV or crossover, (2) that looks good, (3) with good range, and (4) reasonably priced. The MME checked all those boxes. The Teslas all failed at least one of those criteria. Ford’s gonna sell a lot of these if it can produce them.

Last edited:
I was able to test drive a Mach-E Premium RWD in Rapid Red on March 20th. I thought I would share my experience coming from a 2019 Model 3 SR+ RWD Canadian owner.

Exterior.
The front trunk is tiny, has bizarre dividers that make putting in a pizza impossible. Granted, I only use my frunk for food take-out and pretty much nothing else. However, in the Tesla, I can open it remotely with my phone or one touch on the screen. In the Ford, you have to pull a 1980's lever twice from inside the car to get the frunk open.

Fit and Finish
Since this seems like something everything has to mention, I gave the car a quick run-through and noticed the fit and fish is good. I didn't measure gaps because I don't care. I did see exterior plastics were quite scuffed and in places roughed up. The Rapid Red is a super lovely colour, but the brilliant sunshine showed an awful lot of swirl marks. Whoever washed this car did a horrible disservice to the beautiful paint.

Interior
The interior is nice, nothing special, nothing terrible. The front seats are comfortable, but lack side bolsters that would add to the comfort. I love the armrest in my SR+, and I have to say the Mach-E was just OK.

The display behind the steering wheel, for my taste, has excellent resolution but is too close to the steering wheel. When I positioned the steering wheel for my driving position, the display's left and right sides are blocked by the steering wheel itself. I found myself moving my head around to see any important information I might be missing. There seemed to be a weird blue square in front of the vehicle icon, which didn't make much sense.

The larger portrait screen is in the wrong orientation. The software is laggy in comparison to Tesla. There are way too many options for this car, many of them buried in an endless tapping sequence. Did I mention there are way too many on-screen options? The plastic volume knob is a very cheap feeling, in my opinion, not needed. I understand the need for Ford to be different, but sticking on a knob makes no sense to me.

The phone charges worked excellently but are way too far away from the driver, maybe this is a good thing. The open space under the phone chargers is unusable. If you put something in there, you will forget about it and find it when you clean out your car. The accordion-style door under the armrest was near impossible to slide open. I'm sure it needed adjustment, but I felt I was going to break it.

Drive and Performance.
If you're coming from an ICE vehicle, the performance is good. The torque is adequate. The acceleration does appear to pause so slightly when you stomp on the accelerator. It does not throw you back into your seat. If you're coming from a Tesla, you will be disappointed. Well, at least I was. The acceleration and throw-your-neck-back in my SR+ are way more dramatic than the Mach-E. When stomping on the accelerator at 90KM, there is virtually no torque or push. The Tesla is way more fun to drive than the Mach-E. The Mach-E drive is quite good, quieter than my Model 3, and much softer. I consider it a "safe" compromise of comfort and performance. I found the front hood seemed way too big when driving, as I see way more of it than in my Model 3. The Mach-E was at 93% SoC and in unbridled mode for these tests.

Summary
Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic car, does a lot of things right. But with the long list of issues piling up on forums, along with the well documented charging problems, this will be a tough sell to consumers. Given the legacy of the dealership model, including service, it makes me wonder what the demographic this car is aimed at and how a legacy dealership will support this car. The MSRP for this model I test drove is $68,645 CDN or $77,568.85 after taxes and is still sitting on the lot waiting for a new home.
$77,568.85 !!! you should be comparing the Model S at that price.
AWD, 412 miles range, 0-60 in 3.1 seconds (Performance Model 3), Air Suspension, and to many other things to list (twice as much car as a Model 3 RWD SR+, including price)

I got to test drive a Mach-E Premium RWD yesterday. While a very nice EV I still prefer the MY over it. Here are my thoughts:

+ Nice build quality.
+ It was a Space White color which looked sharp in the sun.
+ Displays had great clarity and resolution.
+ Drove very nice with a smooth and quiet ride, handled well on back roads.
+ I do like the styling of the Mach-E, looks good.
+ Self park features worked very nicely.

~ Seats were good, but not great. Seemed lacking in bolstering to me?
~ Displays seemed too close to me, felt a tad too much in my face.
~ Power & accel were good but paled compared to Tesla.
~ Lane keeping worked fine on the highway but wouldn't engage on well marked back roads, I prefer Tesla Autopilot.

- The interface lagged a bit and the menus were cumbersome, way too much menu digging to find things.
- Felt very much like a normal car interior, I prefer the spartan feel of the Tesla interior.
- Even though I like the styling of the Mach-E I still prefer the looks of the Tesla MY, I simply think it looks better.
- Steering wheel felt too small, I couldn't see the sides of the forward display as they were hidden behind the wheel.
- Did not like the wheel mounted to the large display, felt cheap and unnecessary.

The Mach-E seems like a fine EV, good first effort from Ford and I'm glad I drove it. I hope they continue to iterate and improve upon it but I feel no desire at all to buy one over a Model Y, the Tesla just has far too many advantages over it.

Great write-up that sort of echoes much of what I’ve read online and many of the videos I’ve watched. The Mach-E looks great and appears to be very practical. One of the biggest issues I’ve seen is the charging infrastructure (I had a terrible time with EA and EVGo when I had a Bolt) and Out of Spec Motoring detailed its terrible charging curve.

1. MME looks so much better. You may have omitted that because “looks are subjective” - but only up to a point. The MME looks a LOT better.

Looks are definitely subjective. I'm not really a fan of the look of the MME, its fine but nothing about it 'speaks' to me.

The Y and the 3 are drab and boring.

I would use the term 'understated'. They have a very clean look IMO.

@PaulSu, pretty much agree with your assessment. Didn’t say it in a previous post, but I do agree the knob feels really cheap. For such a prominent item, you think Ford would have made it a much better quality part.

Don’t recall having issues with the front screen though.

Styling to me down right sadistic!! LOL I’m a long time Ford owner and Mustang enthusiast. It bothers me this car is called a “Mustang;” it’s not.

It’s a good car, but I’ll take a Tesla over it.

I got to test drive a Mach-E Premium RWD yesterday. While a very nice EV I still prefer the MY over it. Here are my thoughts:

+ Nice build quality.
+ It was a Space White color which looked sharp in the sun.
+ Displays had great clarity and resolution.
+ Drove very nice with a smooth and quiet ride, handled well on back roads.
+ I do like the styling of the Mach-E, looks good.
+ Self park features worked very nicely.

~ Seats were good, but not great. Seemed lacking in bolstering to me?
~ Displays seemed too close to me, felt a tad too much in my face.
~ Power & accel were good but paled compared to Tesla.
~ Lane keeping worked fine on the highway but wouldn't engage on well marked back roads, I prefer Tesla Autopilot.

- The interface lagged a bit and the menus were cumbersome, way too much menu digging to find things.
- Felt very much like a normal car interior, I prefer the spartan feel of the Tesla interior.
- Even though I like the styling of the Mach-E I still prefer the looks of the Tesla MY, I simply think it looks better.
- Steering wheel felt too small, I couldn't see the sides of the forward display as they were hidden behind the wheel.
- Did not like the wheel mounted to the large display, felt cheap and unnecessary.

The Mach-E seems like a fine EV, good first effort from Ford and I'm glad I drove it. I hope they continue to iterate and improve upon it but I feel no desire at all to buy one over a Model Y, the Tesla just has far too many advantages over it.

Agree with many of these observations. But the MME steering wheel is actually larger. And that was actually one of the things I didn’t like about the MY - felt toyish by comparison.

Agree with many of these observations. But the MME steering wheel is actually larger. And that was actually one of the things I didn’t like about the MY - felt toyish by comparison.

Maybe but the MY steering wheel doesn't obstruct anything while the MME's obstructs the sides of the gauge screen. I felt cramped by the dash in the MME.

Maybe but the MY steering wheel doesn't obstruct anything while the MME's obstructs the sides of the gauge screen. I felt cramped by the dash in the MME.

I love this line of thinking: criticizing Ford for an obstructed view... of a screen... that Tesla lacks. How DARE you Ford!! Seriously, there are genuine advantages of the Teslas, and genuine disadvantages of the MME, but this ain’t one of them.

• Disagree
Reactions: KungfuPops2064
Looks are definitely subjective. I'm not really a fan of the look of the MME, its fine but nothing about it 'speaks' to me.

I would use the term 'understated'. They have a very clean look IMO.

So basically this...

And while I’m throwing down sick Spinal Tap references, Ford’s volume dial definitely goes to 11.

giphy.gif

In all seriousness, the volume knob is super convenient. I actually wish I could toggle it to also adjust HVAC. Which makes the criticism from Tesla fans about how it feels “cheap” pretty funny. Just like the drivers screen, you guys are nitpicking stuff that your Tesla doesn’t even have.

• Funny
Reactions: KungfuPops2064
In all seriousness, the volume knob is super convenient. I actually wish I could toggle it to also adjust HVAC. Which makes the criticism from Tesla fans about how it feels “cheap” pretty funny. Just like the drivers screen, you guys are nitpicking stuff that your Tesla doesn’t even have.
It doesn’t need it. If I need to adjust the volume, I use the controls in the steering wheel, which feels more premium than the knob.

It doesn’t need it. If I need to adjust the volume, I use the controls in the steering wheel, which feels more premium than the knob.

The steering wheel toggle doesn’t work as well as twisting a dial. The toggle is a workaround. If you want to quickly crank the audio up or down, nothing beats a flick of the wrist. It not only works better and faster, it’s more tactile.

Is having a volume knob a big deal? It’s a nice plus. Is having a volume knob something to criticize? Definitely not.