Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mach-E review from Model 3 SR+ owner...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think @FordMME has been a great sport on this particular thread and not an obnoxious Ford fanboy. Kudos

We can all agree to disagree; it's the beauty of this discussion. This opinion is not fact-based. Ford is going to have a hard time selling this vehicle en masse to non-Ford customers. If you had a survey and asked the next generation of drivers and gave them a poll for "What EV would you buy?" and a list of Tesla, Ford, VW, Audi, KIA, Hyundai. I bet you they are not picking a Ford. Just a hunch, that's all.

It's exciting to have more EV's coming out. Ford will sell a few of these only because of the US rebates, which is a very expensive Ford. I can buy a 2021 Ford Escape Titanium Hybrid plugin, top of the line for Ford, cheaper than the entry-level Mach-E.

All prices are CDN from ford.ca
  • 2021 Ford Titanium Hybrid plugin - $43,649 + Taxes and fees = $51,584
  • 2021 Ford Mach-E Select - $50,495 MSRP (no taxes or fees)

No rebates in Canada (except Quebec) for the Mach-E.

Why would the average Ford customer risk go all-in on an EV for way more money? I think this will be a hard push in Canada, considering Ford has only shipped 3,749 in February alone. Ford has also said they are holding back 4,500 cars for quality issues.

When Ford ships (and doesn't mess up the launch) the F150 EV, then people might take notice of the Mach-E. Until then, I still think Ford is an F150 company.

Ford delays 4,500 Mustang Mach-E deliveries

I agree with just about everything you wrote here - although I do thing Ford's SUVs are also popular, at least in the US (not just an F-150 company).

I also read the link you posted - about withholding 4,500 cars due to quality issues. To that, I say it's a good move by a manufacturer - plus they're compensating folks left waiting for their cars (free charging). Tesla should take notice of that - not just pushing cars out that don't meet quality standards in hopes that people either ignore defects, get worn down by refusals to repair, or spend too much post-delivery time trying to get things fixed that never should have left the factory.

Another interesting point you raised is, for those in the EV market - will they go Ford versus other manufacturers. This, I think, presents a more substantial and interesting question. With the very real and serious push away from ICE vehicles - it will be interesting to see if any legacy ICE manufacturers simply cannot make the transition and just cease to exist. Jeep? Buick? Or - Will the newer entries into the field simply take over the market and push out the legacy manufacturers?

I agree with just about everything you wrote here - although I do thing Ford's SUVs are also popular, at least in the US (not just an F-150 company).

I also read the link you posted - about withholding 4,500 cars due to quality issues. To that, I say it's a good move by a manufacturer - plus they're compensating folks left waiting for their cars (free charging). Tesla should take notice of that - not just pushing cars out that don't meet quality standards in hopes that people either ignore defects, get worn down by refusals to repair, or spend too much post-delivery time trying to get things fixed that never should have left the factory.

Another interesting point you raised is, for those in the EV market - will they go Ford versus other manufacturers. This, I think, presents a more substantial and interesting question. With the very real and serious push away from ICE vehicles - it will be interesting to see if any legacy ICE manufacturers simply cannot make the transition and just cease to exist. Jeep? Buick? Or - Will the newer entries into the field simply take over the market and push out the legacy manufacturers?
It's great that Ford has held back vehicles, but the incentive they issued is apparently for US customers only, with various threads from Canadian customers saying they are not getting the incentive.

I was recently out shopping for cars, and they legacy dealership model is painful at best. Not to beat on Ford, but in my area, there dealership was worse off than others. If customers go into a dealership and get poor and inaccurate advice, they've lost me as a customer. In most cases the customers has done their homework online, and is the reason they are walking into the dealership in the first place. While I give that Tesla customer service is for the most part non-existent but the 30 seconds it took to purchase my Model 3 SR+ is far better than any legacy dealer experience.

When I checked ford.ca, I was blown away with 8 different SUV choices.

Legacy purchase experience, legacy knowledge of staff and service technicians make for a very poor customer experience.

It's great that Ford has held back vehicles, but the incentive they issued is apparently for US customers only, with various threads from Canadian customers saying they are not getting the incentive.

I was recently out shopping for cars, and they legacy dealership model is painful at best. Not to beat on Ford, but in my area, there dealership was worse off than others. If customers go into a dealership and get poor and inaccurate advice, they've lost me as a customer. In most cases the customers has done their homework online, and is the reason they are walking into the dealership in the first place. While I give that Tesla customer service is for the most part non-existent but the 30 seconds it took to purchase my Model 3 SR+ is far better than any legacy dealer experience.

When I checked ford.ca, I was blown away with 8 different SUV choices.

Legacy purchase experience, legacy knowledge of staff and service technicians make for a very poor customer experience.

I didn't know about the Canadian customer issue - so point taken.

Agree 100% with the dealership model experience. It really is an unpleasant and uncomfortable experience - I prefer the Tesla model (isn't it similar to the old Saturn pricing model?). Too many "dealerships" try so hard, in so many different ways, to squeeze more money out of you every step in the process. Even my recent eTron purchase experience with Audi had some of that when we were in the finance office. Maintenance plans, lease protection coverage, paint protection, fabric . . . ugh. It's just $$$$ in the eyes of the dealer. Hate it. Tesla definitely has the advantage in that universe - unless you actually need work done . . . . lol.

Reactions: kindofblue
I think @FordMME Ford is going to have a hard time selling this vehicle en masse to non-Ford customers.

I'm not sure they'll have a hard time selling the Mach-E. To any normal car person who isn't overly knowledgeable about EV's the MME will seem very appealing. It drives nice and has a very pleasant interior. Now if the potential customer has driven any Tesla then it might be harder to sell them on that MME, but then there will be many people who simply can't stand the spartan interior of the Tesla's and would pick the MME simply because it's more "normal car like". Different strokes for different folks.

I doubt Ford will ever sell over 100K per year of the MME but at lower volumes they'll likely sell quite easily I'd think.

Now an electric F150, that would likely move some units!

I'm not sure they'll have a hard time selling the Mach-E. To any normal car person who isn't overly knowledgeable about EV's the MME will seem very appealing. It drives nice and has a very pleasant interior. Now if the potential customer has driven any Tesla then it might be harder to sell them on that MME, but then there will be many people who simply can't stand the spartan interior of the Tesla's and would pick the MME simply because it's more "normal car like". Different strokes for different folks.

I doubt Ford will ever sell over 100K per year of the MME but at lower volumes they'll likely sell quite easily I'd think.

Now an electric F150, that would likely move some units!

It will be interesting to see how a large-scale transition to EVs plays out. In all candor - having driven the M3, MX (multiple overnight test drives) and MY (overnight test drive) - the Teslas are becoming my least favorite EVs. While the spartan interior plays a large part of it for me - I really don't like how "noisy" they are when driving - and I don't find the interior comfortable, as compared to other EVs I've driven.

I generally liked the interior of the MME (seat comfort, size, etc) - but don't really care for the screen orientation or the damned knob. I think it's a good looking crossover (my guess is they used the Mustang name to keep the Ford faithful). The new Hyundai and KIA crossover offerings look quite nice - better than the MME or MX/MY, in my opinion. Can't wait until they hit the market. Until then, I'll just sit in the passenger seat of the wife's eTron (like being in first class!).

It will be interesting to see how a large-scale transition to EVs plays out. In all candor - having driven the M3, MX (multiple overnight test drives) and MY (overnight test drive) - the Teslas are becoming my least favorite EVs. While the spartan interior plays a large part of it for me - I really don't like how "noisy" they are when driving - and I don't find the interior comfortable, as compared to other EVs I've driven.

I generally liked the interior of the MME (seat comfort, size, etc) - but don't really care for the screen orientation or the damned knob. I think it's a good looking crossover (my guess is they used the Mustang name to keep the Ford faithful). The new Hyundai and KIA crossover offerings look quite nice - better than the MME or MX/MY, in my opinion. Can't wait until they hit the market. Until then, I'll just sit in the passenger seat of the wife's eTron (like being in first class!).
I more excited about the Hyundai/KIA offerings. If they can nail the charging at there proposed specs and at the right price point, it will be interesting. Looking forward to the EV6 launch on March 31st.

in my opinion the Mach e is the best vehicle on the market today, electric or otherwise.
Simply...wow! I guess I'll need to place my order now.

Yes, your Tesla is faster, but it looks like a Prius.
This is the first time I've ever heard/read anywhere from anyone that a Tesla (any model) looks like a Prius.

People who keep saying the Y or the E are better looking…honestly I don’t like the look of the Y much, but I really really don’t like the look of the Mach-E. I’ve owned a Mustang (real one, not this crossover Mustang) and a Corvette. Except for the 2005-2009 Mustangs or the 6x Mustangs, I’m not a fan of the look of those muscle cars. I like European sports car looks more. The Corvette was a beautiful car. The Tesla Model 3 reminds me of some of the lines of the C6 Corvette. I also really love my M3 interior. I’m not a fan of Ford interiors - of any kind. Chevy interiors suck too. My BMW interior was amazing, and the Model 3 reminds me of a cleaner/sleeker version of my BMW M3.

In summary:
  1. I don’t like the look of the Model Y much.
  2. I really don’t like the look of the Mach E
  3. I love the look of the older Mustangs
  4. I love the look of the Corvette
  5. I love the look of the Model 3.
But those are my opinions. I’m just happy that there is a Ford Mach-E that people who do like that sort of thing can get one.

I was able to test drive a Mach-E Premium RWD in Rapid Red on March 20th. I thought I would share my experience coming from a 2019 Model 3 SR+ RWD Canadian owner.

Exterior.
The front trunk is tiny, has bizarre dividers that make putting in a pizza impossible. Granted, I only use my frunk for food take-out and pretty much nothing else. However, in the Tesla, I can open it remotely with my phone or one touch on the screen. In the Ford, you have to pull a 1980's lever twice from inside the car to get the frunk open.

Fit and Finish
Since this seems like something everything has to mention, I gave the car a quick run-through and noticed the fit and fish is good. I didn't measure gaps because I don't care. I did see exterior plastics were quite scuffed and in places roughed up. The Rapid Red is a super lovely colour, but the brilliant sunshine showed an awful lot of swirl marks. Whoever washed this car did a horrible disservice to the beautiful paint.

Interior
The interior is nice, nothing special, nothing terrible. The front seats are comfortable, but lack side bolsters that would add to the comfort. I love the armrest in my SR+, and I have to say the Mach-E was just OK.

The display behind the steering wheel, for my taste, has excellent resolution but is too close to the steering wheel. When I positioned the steering wheel for my driving position, the display's left and right sides are blocked by the steering wheel itself. I found myself moving my head around to see any important information I might be missing. There seemed to be a weird blue square in front of the vehicle icon, which didn't make much sense.

The larger portrait screen is in the wrong orientation. The software is laggy in comparison to Tesla. There are way too many options for this car, many of them buried in an endless tapping sequence. Did I mention there are way too many on-screen options? The plastic volume knob is a very cheap feeling, in my opinion, not needed. I understand the need for Ford to be different, but sticking on a knob makes no sense to me.

The phone charges worked excellently but are way too far away from the driver, maybe this is a good thing. The open space under the phone chargers is unusable. If you put something in there, you will forget about it and find it when you clean out your car. The accordion-style door under the armrest was near impossible to slide open. I'm sure it needed adjustment, but I felt I was going to break it.

Drive and Performance.
If you're coming from an ICE vehicle, the performance is good. The torque is adequate. The acceleration does appear to pause so slightly when you stomp on the accelerator. It does not throw you back into your seat. If you're coming from a Tesla, you will be disappointed. Well, at least I was. The acceleration and throw-your-neck-back in my SR+ are way more dramatic than the Mach-E. When stomping on the accelerator at 90KM, there is virtually no torque or push. The Tesla is way more fun to drive than the Mach-E. The Mach-E drive is quite good, quieter than my Model 3, and much softer. I consider it a "safe" compromise of comfort and performance. I found the front hood seemed way too big when driving, as I see way more of it than in my Model 3. The Mach-E was at 93% SoC and in unbridled mode for these tests.

Summary
Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic car, does a lot of things right. But with the long list of issues piling up on forums, along with the well documented charging problems, this will be a tough sell to consumers. Given the legacy of the dealership model, including service, it makes me wonder what the demographic this car is aimed at and how a legacy dealership will support this car. The MSRP for this model I test drove is $68,645 CDN or $77,568.85 after taxes and is still sitting on the lot waiting for a new home.
Took a pic of one I saw in the wild and as it turns out, it might be owned by a friend of a friend not previously in the EV community. Looks interesting but of course we know it's not using the Tesla Supercharger Network and despite how grand CCS is going to be "one day" it's not my go to for anything but a Bollinger. I canceled my Rivian because of their promotion of a radical agenda.

Attachments

• 20210319_144919.jpg
    20210319_144919.jpg
    385.9 KB · Views: 74
I didn't know about the Canadian customer issue - so point taken.

Agree 100% with the dealership model experience. It really is an unpleasant and uncomfortable experience - I prefer the Tesla model (isn't it similar to the old Saturn pricing model?). Too many "dealerships" try so hard, in so many different ways, to squeeze more money out of you every step in the process. Even my recent eTron purchase experience with Audi had some of that when we were in the finance office. Maintenance plans, lease protection coverage, paint protection, fabric . . . ugh. It's just $$$$ in the eyes of the dealer. Hate it. Tesla definitely has the advantage in that universe - unless you actually need work done . . . . lol.
Wonder if they'll send you an offer for the oil change on your e-tron, or better yet, tell you they did one. Happened to a LEAF owner or two.

People who keep saying the Y or the E are better looking…honestly I don’t like the look of the Y much, but I really really don’t like the look of the Mach-E. I’ve owned a Mustang (real one, not this crossover Mustang) and a Corvette. Except for the 2005-2009 Mustangs or the 6x Mustangs, I’m not a fan of the look of those muscle cars. I like European sports car looks more. The Corvette was a beautiful car. The Tesla Model 3 reminds me of some of the lines of the C6 Corvette. I also really love my M3 interior. I’m not a fan of Ford interiors - of any kind. Chevy interiors suck too. My BMW interior was amazing, and the Model 3 reminds me of a cleaner/sleeker version of my BMW M3.

In summary:
But those are my opinions. I’m just happy that there is a Ford Mach-E that people who do like that sort of thing can get one.
Plenty of Tesla owners with a Corvette still in the stable, including the C7 or the C8.

The steering wheel toggle doesn’t work as well as twisting a dial. The toggle is a workaround. If you want to quickly crank the audio up or down, nothing beats a flick of the wrist. It not only works better and faster, it’s more tactile.

Is having a volume knob a big deal? It’s a nice plus. Is having a volume knob something to criticize? Definitely not.
Press the volume button/ball on a Tesla steering wheel to mute sound or glide left thumb downwards across the top of the button/ball to rapidly decrease volume. There are old habits, and then there are newer more ergonomic ways of doing things. I've been driving Tesla M 3 & Y for 2 yrs & find them to be extremely convenient when controlling the sound system & everything else. One central computer for the whole car, something which no other manufacturer is doing.

Reactions: SO16 and RKBA
Great review. Couple things....

You asked who the MME would appeal to. Well me for starters. I had four basic criteria: (1) an SUV or crossover, (2) that looks good, (3) with good range, and (4) reasonably priced. The MME checked all those boxes. The Teslas all failed at least one of those criteria. Ford’s gonna sell a lot of these if it can produce them.
Agree with your assessment. I was a model 3 deposit holder until I saw the MME at an auto show. About the appeal, I would add the inclusion of knobs and dials - I don't really like the minimalist Tesla dash and the MME has the balance I prefer. Should be receiving it in about 2 weeks too. And yes, the pricing is very competitive in American dollars, especially with the tax rebate. I think the knob is a nice addition too.

To be fair, I actually do like the streamlined look of Teslas, and do have some concern with charging, although 98% will be done at home with a solar house (had the charger installed 3 months ago).

The car is actually for my wife, so rocket acceleration is not needed, I just want her to be comfortable and safe (and let me play with it on weekends). I think/hope the technology will improve with time, but we really liked the road test we did too.

In summary:
I really dont like the look of any SUV, never have and doubt ever will. When our kids were little and we wanted something to take them places and drive around stuff I always went the minivan route and would never change that. SUVs to me were always larger on the outside then they were on the inside. I could get a 4x8 piece of plywood in a minivan with the seats flat or out. Other then some monster SUV could never do that. As for Y or E. I hate the hood and front of the E it just looks fat. I also havent liked the look of Mustang's since the 70s. Not that a Mustang Mach-E is a Mustang. They made it a CUV because Ford was scared &#!@ less that people would like it more then a Mustang and they cant afford to sell a lower margin better version of the Mustang.

Simply...wow! I guess I'll need to place my order now.

This is the first time I've ever heard/read anywhere from anyone that a Tesla (any model) looks like a Prius.
I compare the model 3 to the toyota camry, a very capable mass produced auto that is quite popular.
thank goodness that there are choices available, and more are coming out all the time. the porsches are at the top of the heap of new offerings followed by the sister audi, and the aforementioned ford, the good old nissan leaf, the kia/hyndais, volvo, jaguar and BMW are but a few cars now available or coming real soon.

Agree with your assessment. I was a model 3 deposit holder until I saw the MME at an auto show. About the appeal, I would add the inclusion of knobs and dials - I don't really like the minimalist Tesla dash and the MME has the balance I prefer. Should be receiving it in about 2 weeks too. And yes, the pricing is very competitive in American dollars, especially with the tax rebate. I think the knob is a nice addition too.

To be fair, I actually do like the streamlined look of Teslas, and do have some concern with charging, although 98% will be done at home with a solar house (had the charger installed 3 months ago).

The car is actually for my wife, so rocket acceleration is not needed, I just want her to be comfortable and safe (and let me play with it on weekends). I think/hope the technology will improve with time, but we really liked the road test we did too.
one excellent feature of the tesla is their body strength. the car is probably one of the safest cars on the road. I was rear ended in my model 3 at high speed and barely felt the hit.