Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mach-E review from Model 3 SR+ owner...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really dont like the look of any SUV, never have and doubt ever will. When our kids were little and we wanted something to take them places and drive around stuff I always went the minivan route and would never change that. SUVs to me were always larger on the outside then they were on the inside. I could get a 4x8 piece of plywood in a minivan with the seats flat or out. Other then some monster SUV could never do that. As for Y or E. I hate the hood and front of the E it just looks fat. I also havent liked the look of Mustang's since the 70s. Not that a Mustang Mach-E is a Mustang. They made it a CUV because Ford was scared &#!@ less that people would like it more then a Mustang and they cant afford to sell a lower margin better version of the Mustang.
I'm not quite sure the Mustang brand is all that strong to begin with...

Ford's sales of the Mustang was down 17% in the 3rd quarter of 2020 sales compared to the same period in 2019. The Mustang brand only sold 4,636 cars in Canada and 61,090 in the US for all of 2020.

https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North America/US/2020/10/02/ford-sales3q-20.pdf

Ford Mustang Sales Numbers, Figures, Results

The MME is a specs copy of the model Y so I am surprised to read that everyone seems to think that the model Y is quicker than the MME... At the moment, Tesla only has AWD options on its website with the big battery (there is the RWD available of the menu, but I don't know the exact specs). So if we compare to the MME AWD with big battery and the GT: 0-100 KMH numbers are 4.8s for the base and 3.8s for the GT. The model Y is : 5.0s for the long range and 3.7s for the performance model. So it is mostly the same...

I have a model 3 and I love it and I was defacto interested in the model Y but it looks like they stretched a model 3 vertically without any effort to make it look good... I know that look is subjective, but I greatly prefer the model 3 over the model y in term of the look of the car. MME puts more efforts into it. It looks in my opinion way better... without being perfect. I don't care about having a knob or not. I care about carPlay and overall smartphone integration: everything beat a Tesla in that category, every car can access siri directly for years...

On the side of model Y. I trust more the tech of Tesla than Ford when it comes to electric cars. Efficiency is generally better with a Tesla. Excluding smartphone integration, the infotainment system is better and is updated more often(I haven't tried the MME but I assume) Also, the floor of the MME is very fat.

The MME is a specs copy of the model Y so I am surprised to read that everyone seems to think that the model Y is quicker than the MME... At the moment, Tesla only has AWD options on its website with the big battery (there is the RWD available of the menu, but I don't know the exact specs). So if we compare to the MME AWD with big battery and the GT: 0-100 KMH numbers are 4.8s for the base and 3.8s for the GT. The model Y is : 5.0s for the long range and 3.7s for the performance model. So it is mostly the same...

I have a model 3 and I love it and I was defacto interested in the model Y but it looks like they stretched a model 3 vertically without any effort to make it look good... I know that look is subjective, but I greatly prefer the model 3 over the model y in term of the look of the car. MME puts more efforts into it. It looks in my opinion way better... without being perfect. I don't care about having a knob or not. I care about carPlay and overall smartphone integration: everything beat a Tesla in that category, every car can access siri directly for years...

On the side of model Y. I trust more the tech of Tesla than Ford when it comes to electric cars. Efficiency is generally better with a Tesla. Excluding smartphone integration, the infotainment system is better and is updated more often(I haven't tried the MME but I assume) Also, the floor of the MME is very fat.
There is no point of comparing specs to a car that your can actually buy (Model Y performance) and is in people hands, to a car (Mach-E GT) that doesn't exist. Even Ford's website states: U.S. Preproduction Computer-Generated Image Shown. Available Fall 2021.

As I mentioned on the other MachE thread, the vehicle itself is a good effort for Ford.

But one thing a person should not ignore, is the charging network. I will be glad when EA improves their network reliability. That is if you want to do road trips.

The volume knob! It is AMAZING to me how so many of you seem obsessed over this little feature. I think it is somewhat telling. A few final points re Knobgate and I’ll leave it there....
I chose the Model X over the Y and the 3 because of the feel of the turn signal shifter. I preferred the full mechanical "thunk" of the old-school turn signal in the MX over the electronic switch lever in the MY and M3. So I fully understand why people are arguing over the volume knob. The smallest thing can make or break a sale.

I chose the Model X over the Y and the 3 because of the feel of the turn signal shifter. I preferred the full mechanical "thunk" of the old-school turn signal in the MX over the electronic switch lever in the MY and M3. So I fully understand why people are arguing over the volume knob. The smallest thing can make or break a sale.
I am kind of the same way with arm rests. The Model 3 arm rest is the best I've had in a car, and love it to death. (Yes, I'm serious)

So you think the turn signal shifter is AMAZING. That the point isnt it when you defend something like that by claiming it is AMAZING or game changing then you come across as a propagandist not someone saying I prefer the dial on the screen rather then the dial on the steering wheel.

Oh and yes I agree some simple things can make a car/brand more appealing. For instance I love the minimalism of Tesla interiors. I find the minimalism is very luxurious and the reason why is the minimalism makes the interior much easier to keep clean. My past experience with luxury and performance brands is they like to trim everything put each dial in its own little trimmed piece of chrome/plastic. Becomes a royal pain in the ass to quickly wipe clean. To me a flat surface without little grooves, nooks and crannies, dials, etc. that are hard to quickly wipe clean is the opposite of luxury.

Last edited:
Sigh. Went to a Ford dealer, and right away the dealership experience reared its head. First, Ford has introduced the "e invoice" where they show a dealer invoice the same price as the MSRP. So the dealer needs to add to that price in order to make money? Not. The traditional discount to the dealer from MSRP to invoice is just paid via separate channels (3 different types of payments, such as a standard kickback dealer discount, and reward for not advertising below MSRP). Then the typical local dealer add ons. And the sales pressure. At least this one didn't have pinstriping or free oil changes.

Nice car in its class, enjoyed sitting in it (didn't drive), appeared to have good fit and finish, but it sure did remind me of the last time I bought a car from a dealer, and the memories are not good. What a pleasure to visit a Tesla showroom.

Ignore all that if you can and focus on the Mach E itself if you want one.

You're right on with your physical description of the Y. The best that has been said for it in this thread is that it is "understated" and has a "clean look" LOL. It's got a very boring and blobby design.

But I have to disagree on the speed. You just can't rely on specs. I test drove a MYLR and it did feel a bit quicker than my MME Ext AWD. It really isn't a surprise. The MYLR is several hundred pounds lighter. It is also noisier as a result. The MME feels plenty fast but you also get a quieter, more refined interior.

Back to the knobs and physical buttons, I'm really not trying to convince anyone here that the MME took the better approach - it's just such a silly Tesla thing to fault another car for still having some physical controls. Even if you find them useless, it really shouldn't impact your decision. But Tesla owners seem to take some sort of pride in the minimalist design. To each their own.

Great review. Couple things....

1. MME looks so much better. You may have omitted that because “looks are subjective” - but only up to a point. The MME looks a LOT better.

2. The MME’s frunk divider can easily be removed. It was required by regulators because the frunk is evidently large enough to exceed some child safety threshold. Not sure why the Y doesn’t likewise have dividers. Maybe it’s slightly smaller, or maybe Tesla dodged the regulators by not publishing a frunk capacity.

3. Sorry the driver’s instrument screen was hard for you to see. You don’t have to worry about that in a Tesla.

4. The MME interior is higher quality than a 3 or Y. I can’t specifically speak to “armrest comfort.” Sorry that the rolling cover in the center console proved a nuisance. Ford did not follow Tesla’s IKEA design. The open space beneath the chargers is very useful for holding an oversized Nalgene bottle. I speak from experience.

5. I don’t think Ford’s volume knob feels cheap. You may not be used to having a volume knob. It’s still more fun to twist a volume knob than toggle a steering wheel to really crank a stereo.

6. Yup, the Y and 3 are quicker off the line. As you note, that speed comes at a cost of cabin quiet and ride comfort. The Tesla’s are lighter. If you are a professional EV Drag Racer, you would be a FOOL to choose the MME. If you’re anyone else, not sure I’d make this a priority. Yes, your Tesla is faster, but it looks like a Prius. My MME looks faster. I’m turning heads everywhere I drive (especially with the grabber blue). The Y and the 3 are drab and boring. You really have to ask yourself, which matters more?

7. Not sure how it works in Canada, but here in the US the MME Premium Ext AWD is around $5k cheaper than a currently priced MYLR. It also appears to have longer range.

You asked who the MME would appeal to. Well me for starters. I had four basic criteria: (1) an SUV or crossover, (2) that looks good, (3) with good range, and (4) reasonably priced. The MME checked all those boxes. The Teslas all failed at least one of those criteria. Ford’s gonna sell a lot of these if it can produce them.
Glad you like your Ford. Hope lots of other people do, too. There is room for a lot of EVs out there! But really, listen to your own words. Looks are subjective. I'm not a fan of fat boxy cars like the MME. Many of the lines of the Model 3 are classic and will look good in 20, 30, even 50 years. Of course I could be wrong, but I doubt it. It has the unique qualities of old Jaguars and Porsches. I will admit there are a few lines to the 3 that I am not crazy about, and I am a little less fond of the Y, but that's because my preference has always been coupes and sedans, and I don't like the look of crossovers and SUVs (subjective). But still, no one is going to confuse this car with a Prius. Sorry, that's not subjective. My biggest complaint with my 3 is road noise, and that is really not a weight issue, just Tesla going cheap on insulation in the right places. I can critique other small things on my car (such as I really don't like the controls for temperature adjustment, but love the invisible vents, and I find the steering dial great for volume control). I think the MME is the best non-Tesla BEV to come along and will definitely be checking it out when my wife's Volt lease is up. So you see, people can be critical of their own vehicles and still see the value of others. Enjoy your Ford.

Reactions: EVMeister
Glad you like your Ford. Hope lots of other people do, too. There is room for a lot of EVs out there! But really, listen to your own words. Looks are subjective. I'm not a fan of fat boxy cars like the MME. Many of the lines of the Model 3 are classic and will look good in 20, 30, even 50 years. Of course I could be wrong, but I doubt it. It has the unique qualities of old Jaguars and Porsches. I will admit there are a few lines to the 3 that I am not crazy about, and I am a little less fond of the Y, but that's because my preference has always been coupes and sedans, and I don't like the look of crossovers and SUVs (subjective). But still, no one is going to confuse this car with a Prius. Sorry, that's not subjective. My biggest complaint with my 3 is road noise, and that is really not a weight issue, just Tesla going cheap on insulation in the right places. I can critique other small things on my car (such as I really don't like the controls for temperature adjustment, but love the invisible vents, and I find the steering dial great for volume control). I think the MME is the best non-Tesla BEV to come along and will definitely be checking it out when my wife's Volt lease is up. So you see, people can be critical of their own vehicles and still see the value of others. Enjoy your Ford.

Yeah I’m actually less critical of the M3’s styling. Its profile isn’t all that different than a lot of other mid-size sedans and it’s fine. The Y just doesn’t work, by comparison, because they just glommed a raised roofline onto the 3’s wheelbase.

Sorry if my comparison to Prius caused offense or confusion. It was just shorthand to say that Tesla basically adopted the Prius’s short hood “wedge” for superior drag reduction. It’s more efficient but I don’t think aesthetically very appealing.

when I sat in Mach E I saw my instant pot-I am not kidding!

Attachments

• IMG_0453.JPG
    IMG_0453.JPG
    490.3 KB · Views: 83