Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mach-E road trip becomes a charging fiasco...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I feel bad for Mustang Mach E owners.

By the sound of it, it looks like Ford's handshake protocol is really screwing things up. This is really bad, and can really hurt them if they don't figure it out quickly.

It's too bad, looks like the only other crappy thing is the CLIFF of a taper over 80%. Down to 12 kW? That doesn't even qualify as "fast charging" any more.

Love Out of Spec Motoring and really respect Kyle's reviews. When I watched this, I cringed so many times. I used to own a Bolt and hated having to rely on unreliable third-party chargers, like EA and EVGo as more often than not, I had to deal with ridiculous issues. That said, his Mach-E experience was even worse and really outlines the issues with all non-Tesla EVs -- having to rely on another company's charging infrastructure (or in VW's case, its own unreliable EA network) will always be a major weakness for anyone looking for a new EV.

And that charging taper, when it did work, was horrendous. :/

OMG. I thought I’d listen in just a little bit of that, but it was like watching a slow motion train wreck. I couldn’t stop watching. What a disaster. I did like his biting quip about how the engineer blamed the one minute handshake on the “protocol spec”, yet that was the engineer who wrote the stupid protocol spec.

are you aware that the teslas will have severe tapering over 80% or so SOC?
Lol, not 12kWh though. The Tesla taper is much more tolerable, especially when the charging up to 80% SOC is 3-6x what Kyle was getting. @mk677 there is no valid argument here. The Mach-E might be Tesla’s best competition as of yet, but it’s not a very good road trip car.

True, but nowhere near the Mach-E's. That sucker dropped to like 12kWs. In a previous video, it took him two full hours to go from 0-100% at an EA charger, and that's when it worked and didn't drop-off in the middle of the session like so many other efforts.
there is absolutely no reason to charge to 100% a tesla would take almost 90 minutes to go from 0-100%.
it isn't the fiasco y'all are making it out to be.
if you know how to road trip an EV you would never charge beyond 60% when you know the next charger is right up the road. the guy who made the video must have been on his first road trip in an EV.

there is absolutely no reason to charge to 100% a tesla would take almost 90 minutes to go from 0-100%.
if you know how to road trip an EV you would never charge beyond 60% when you know the next charger is right up the road. the guy who made the video must have been on his first road trip in an EV.
LOL, not sure you've watched the video or the series or know who he is. He was testing it to see how long the charge would take. Feel free to take up your fight with him and tell him he has no idea what he's talking about or how he worked with Ford on this trip and they tried to work with him but it still failed.

LOL, not sure you've watched the video or the series or know who he is. He was testing it to see how long the charge would take. Feel free to take up your fight with him and tell him he has no idea what he's talking about or how he worked with Ford on this trip and they tried to work with him but it still failed.
you're right. I didn't watch it nor am I aware of his status. but let's be real here, there is no reason to force the car to 100% and the tesla will taper as well.

Older Teslas and big charging gaps, cold/rainy weather, etc, can definitely require high SOC to make it to the next charger. Not everyone has a brand new SLR or 3LR

Depends on where you are. Being in the Midwest there are times I need to charge to 90%+ to get where I'm going...or to account for weather phenomenon.

you're right. I didn't watch it nor am I aware of his status. but let's be real here, there is no reason to force the car to 100% and the tesla will taper as well.
I often charge to 100% when I know I will be going to areas without a super charger. I want to be able to drive around and see the sights in areas off the beaten track without the worry of running out of charge.

Yes it does taper. But we both know it’s not the same. I do think Ford will fix that at some point though.

Tesla clearly has everything figured out. Ford’s charging situation is a disaster.

Let the banter begin...
That was painful to watch and I only made it halfway through. That guy has the patience of Job.

I test drove a Mach-e before ordering our Y LR and watched other videos of charging fiascos. I thought the Mach e itself was OK but the non-Tesla networks and Ford need to get their act together.

So you believe that if you don’t have the need to ever charge to 100%, that must naturally mean, no one else could possibly have that need either...
Yikes.

I charge beyond 60% on nearly every road trip. I frequently driver between SoCal and the Bay Area (~380 miles) and (one) stop half way for bathroom & breakfast. Arrive <10%, and leave 90+%. Is it most time efficient? No, but it works well with my carbo intake and fluid outtake.