Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mach-E road trip becomes a charging fiasco...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So unlike you who watched a YouTube video, I’ve actually been using CP360 for over a month and it works GREAT “on curved roads.”
I tend to be skeptical. If you can reproduce conditions similar to EVDave's video (starting at ~4:45min) and basically disprove my skepticism, I promise to sign up for a Mach-E test drive.

Yes, let’s focus on CEO hype.... Good grief what a bunch of whiners.
Whiners? Look at real whiners at the MachEForum website who complain about access to the 12 V battery in order to get update an OTA-unupdatable module to make sound in the car work again. Don't they understand that is a supper minor issue compared to HUGE panel gaps on every Tesla?

I don’t even know why anyone would consider buying this car. Unreliable charging and getting stranded in the middle of nowhere would be my biggest fear. Hey look at it another way. Functionally, it is similar to Ford producing a conventional ICE car which is acting up when you try to fill it up with gas!?!

There's no good way to spin what happened to this poor guy. I remember going on my first road trip with my early 2013 Tesla Model S. I had actually picked it up from the Fremont factory and drove it back to San Diego. At that time, Tesla had all of six supercharger locations in the world. Harris Ranch had a single 90 kW supercharger. And yet, the trip went flawlessly. There's really no excuse for Ford to be botching this like this.
Issue is not Ford. It’s the half az EA network. However in EA’s defense it would they have to work with multiple OEM’s unlike Tesla who owns the whole stack. Vertical integration sometimes has advantages - eg Apple vs Android.

Exactly. “...you don’t have the need to ever charge to 100%...”.

Sigh.
On a road trip I would agree. If you absolutely have to charge to 100% to make it to the next DCFC then either take another route or take an ICE. Charging to 100% (M3 owner) is simply a non starter. Seems faster to charge to 100% at home to start the trip then 70-80% thereafter on the trip but to each his own, I guess

Driving west/east is fairly well covered. As I mentioned before, driving north/south is not. Bismarck, ND to Murdo, SD is 265 miles. The next Supercharger isn't "just up the road".
Why would anyone drive to “Murdo, SD”??! Lol! I kid I kid. But really what would be awesome is that A) the DCFC CCS networks gets built out more and B) Elon releases a CCS adapter (that does real fast charging) for model 3/y. I assume c and s users would just fly at that distance anyway ;-)

If the other car manufacturers had a clue, they would work hard to make the CCS network reliable in the US. Just like Tesla did. Early in the day, Tesla actually contracted with flatbed tow truck operators when a critical supercharger went down (like Harris Ranch, central CA). They also deployed diesel powered temporary SC stations when the power/SC would go down for extended periods of time. They actually took flack in the know nothing press as they were made fun of by having diesel powered electric charging stations. But they kept Tesla owners on the road. Contrast that with Ford in that video. Ford is absolutely clueless with third rate engineers who themselves don't seem to know what is required.
Wow, Ford has “3rd rate engineers”?? Interesting, what engineering school did you go to? A little triggered as while I do not work for Ford (or Auto) I know a ton of engineers at Ford, Tesla, GM, and VW and can’t say I know a “know nothing” amongst any of them. Strange.
Either way this is all A) lack of foresight by OEM leadership (not engineers) and/or B) EA needs more I get their shiznit together

I

Yup, and again, it’ll be like that for all EVs as they rely on an unreliable, third-party network to handle their customers’ charging. So until others follow Tesla’s path (like Rivian is doing), that’ll always threaten to be a major weak point.
Disagree that it will always be. I think captive networks will fail as once EA (or someone else - maybe forced by new US administration?) gets their stuff together the captive stuff will die FAST. I actually think that is what Elon hopes at it will benefit Tesla the most actually.

Disagree that it will always be. I think captive networks will fail as once EA (or someone else - maybe forced by new US administration?) gets their stuff together the captive stuff will die FAST. I actually think that is what Elon hopes at it will benefit Tesla the most actually.
What
ID.3?

Of course I enjoy the downfall of the Mach-E because their multi-billion PR department spew tons of *sugar* in general Tesla direction wasting money that could be spend on better engineering. ... and because Ford is the company run by the family of an anti-Semite.
bro . You speak Fax about Henry Ford. But he dead and gone. Are you saying Bill Ford Jr is an Anti Semite because granddday was? That’s....interesting. And no, I’m not a Ford or Bill Ford supporter. As a lions fan you can imagine how I feel about that family albeit for entirely different reasons than you, lol! God I hope they sell the team!

I don’t even know why anyone would consider buying this car. Unreliable charging and getting stranded in the middle of nowhere would be my biggest fear. Hey look at it another way. Functionally, it is similar to Ford producing a conventional ICE car which is acting up when you try to fill it up with gas!?!
Charging is the least of the MME's issues at the moment. This car was rushed to market too early IMO. Some of the latest issues I saw posted were 2 people who claimed the car did the opposite to what the mode selector displayed. So instead of going forward in drive, it reversed instead. One poster had it in reverse when backing out of a driveway, lifted off the peddle to stop, and it went forward when he pressed the accelerator again. Crazy stuff. And lots of random 'service needed' errors for various systems.

Problems are to be expected, but not like this. And the Ford dealers are clueless unless they're 'EV certified' and even then there's no guarantee they know how to fix them.

Unless they plan to drive short distances around town and wait it out for Ford to hopefully send out updates, I wouldn't recommend this car to anyone in the current state.

white washed? you know about it, terrible white washing job.
you might be shocked to learn that in the years prior to the US getting involved in that war that there were many who were friendly to the germans and the cause.
Proprietary connector type yes.

Proprietary provider, NO.

Can you imagine only one fuel supplier for the entire country? Price gouging much?
I think you may not be grasping what dude was saying. When I go to a gas station it just works and I don’t have to go to (insert ICE OEM) approved gas stations. I actually doubt there will be a Tesla SC network 10 years from now as electrification has already won thus the network is being built. We are in the Endgame for proprietary charging network connectors and standards (well as in next 10 yrs)

Keep hoping and dreaming. :D People have been calling the imminent bankwuptcy of Tesla for about a decade now.

Tesla and Superchargers will be around in 10 years. The Supercharger network will be way better in 10 years. It has to as Tesla intends to build and sell 1M+ vehicles per year.

I actually doubt there will be a Tesla SC network 10 years from now as electrification has already won thus the network is being built. We are in the Endgame for proprietary charging network connectors and standards (well as in next 10 yrs)

Issue is not Ford. It’s the half az EA network. However in EA’s defense it would they have to work with multiple OEM’s unlike Tesla who owns the whole stack. Vertical integration sometimes has advantages - eg Apple vs Android.

im not sure it’s the EA network - it might be Ford’s plug and charge system. We have an eTron and use the EA network of chargers and it has operated flawlessly for us.

Keep hoping and dreaming. :D People have been calling the imminent bankwuptcy of Tesla for about a decade now.

Tesla and Superchargers will be around in 10 years. The Supercharger network will be way better in 10 years. It has to as Tesla intends to build and sell 1M+ vehicles per year.
you must be not aware of all the new EVs coming to the market. everyone of those cars sold will be taking a bite out of tesla's share of the EV market

you must be not aware of all the new EVs coming to the market. everyone of those cars sold will be taking a bite out of tesla's share of the EV market
It doesn’t take much to reduce market share. Tesla has to produce many more in order to maintain their market share when a competitor just produces a few. The whole “Tesla is losing market share” line is about as stupid as it gets. Just a way to play on numbers to produce FUD in the media.

The whole market share argument is ridiculous when the EV market is still expanding.

BEVs account for ~4% of global automotive sales. It has always been an absurd argument to state that competitors in the BEV segment will reduce Tesla's market share. Even if you account for all the new BEV models coming out it's still a paltry number compared to the number of different ICEV models available. Lots of room for everyone, and will be for decades.

It doesn’t take much to reduce market share. Tesla has to produce many more in order to maintain their market share when a competitor just produces a few. The whole “Tesla is losing market share” line is about as stupid as it gets. Just a way to play on numbers to produce FUD in the media.

The whole market share argument is ridiculous when the EV market is still expanding.
one might think that as EVs become more appealing to the mainstream that tesla will maintain it's current place in the EV market, almost 80%, but when there are many EV options becoming available to car buyers, the tesla will lose it's lofty sales levels.
you could try to argue that the quality/range of the tesla will convince new EV buyers to buy more teslas but the history of the automotive market tells a different story.