Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mach-E road trip becomes a charging fiasco...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
this is why no matter how good {electric car that's not a tesla} is... it's irrelevant. (sadly). because it can't... car.

If the other car manufacturers had a clue, they would work hard to make the CCS network reliable in the US. Just like Tesla did. Early in the day, Tesla actually contracted with flatbed tow truck operators when a critical supercharger went down (like Harris Ranch, central CA). They also deployed diesel powered temporary SC stations when the power/SC would go down for extended periods of time. They actually took flack in the know nothing press as they were made fun of by having diesel powered electric charging stations. But they kept Tesla owners on the road. Contrast that with Ford in that video. Ford is absolutely clueless with third rate engineers who themselves don't seem to know what is required.

and of course I mean charge and travel... which is kinda the whole point of a car. If someone else can match the supercharger network.. (and I hope they do) that would be... just... super.

Or we just standardize on the super chargers already. that (non-tesla) plug looks huge and unwieldy. and while that's terrific for phallic jokes, it's not user friendly...

Last edited:
Lots of similar reviews of the charging of the Mach-E. The car itself is good, the charging network needs a lot of work.

The fear is this kind of experience sours people to EVs in general, as many people buying a Mach-E might be first time EV buyers. It's unfortunate a lot of automakers underestimate the importance of the charging network.

If the other car manufacturers had a clue, they would work hard to make the CCS network reliable in the US. Just like Tesla did. Early in the day, Tesla actually contracted with flatbed tow truck operators when a critical supercharger went down (like Harris Ranch, central CA). They also deployed diesel powered temporary SC stations when the power/SC would go down for extended periods of time. They actually took flack in the know nothing press as they were made fun of by having diesel powered electric charging stations. But they kept Tesla owners on the road. Contrast that with Ford in that video. Ford is absolutely clueless with third rate engineers who themselves don't seem to know what is required.
the difference is that the tesla network is built and operated by tesla while ford and other manufacturers have contracted the high speed charging out to third parties. so in the case of ford it would be electrify america who should be sending flatbeds out to down chargers or deploying repair crews to down units. it isn't the ford people who are clueless it is EA who is falling down on the job.
the reliability of their network has been a flaw in the EA network but there have been vast improvements made by EA in the past few months and hopefully things will continue to improve.

Reactions: outdoors
the difference is that the tesla network is built and operated by tesla while ford and other manufacturers have contracted the high speed charging out to third parties. so in the case of ford it would be electrify america who should be sending flatbeds out to down chargers or deploying repair crews to down units. it isn't the ford people who are clueless it is EA who is falling down on the job.
the reliability of their network has been a flaw in the EA network but there have been vast improvements made by EA in the past few months and hopefully things will continue to improve.

There are several Mach-E specific EA connectivity problems. 1) Not starting to charge automatically as promised. 2) Failing to start charging at all. 3) Failing the charging session soon after starting. 4) Plus Ford's exclusive 11-12kW maximum charging rate above 80% SOC (unrelated to EA). I think that Taycan is more consistent in starting and continuing charging sessions. So, it's not the EA's fault (not only the EA's fault).

There are several Mach-E specific EA connectivity problems. 1) Not starting to charge automatically as promised. 2) Failing to start charging at all. 3) Failing the charging session soon after starting. 4) Plus Ford's exclusive 11-12kW maximum charging rate above 80% SOC (unrelated to EA). I think that Taycan is more consistent in starting and continuing charging sessions. So, it's not the EA's fault (not only the EA's fault).
well you are consistent.
the taycan has a big issue with their plug and charge which has a built in issue and plug and charge does not work as promised.
do you have ANY experience with a taycan other than reading blogs?

Reactions: BooMan
are you aware that the teslas will have severe tapering over 80% or so SOC?

I guess severe depends on your outlook. Of course I am aware of Tesla fast charge tapering. However, it's not down to 12 kW at 80%. My last two road trips I was at about 70 kW at 80% and still at 45 kW when I unplugged at 88%.

That's still fast charging.

Oh, and before you get on me about "bottom of the battery, you're not doing it right, why are you charging past 80% anyway" nonsense, please know that although there is an additional charger that I could stop at on that particular leg of my travel, it has a history of being ICED and also broken. So I charge up to make it home with about 5% remaining, without any environmental conditions, as a backup.

Last edited:
I

Oh, and before you get on me about "bottom of the battery, you're not doing it right, why are you charging past 80% anyway" nonsense, please know that although there is an additional charger that I could stop at on that particular leg of my travel, it has a history of being ICED and also broken. So I charge up to make it home with about 5% remaining, without any environmental conditions, as a backup.
are you suggesting that your one of situation should be the standard used?

Just curious... where is FORDMME commenting on this topic? He is usually out there vehemently touting how great the MME is. Perhaps video evidence is just too hard to deny.

I hope Ford can get their charging issues worked out. I believe they have a lot of work to do. I have owned Fords all my life. First Ford I got rid of over quality was a 2013 Focus with Sync. The sync software was buggy and I did not enjoy having to download a file to a thumb drive and sit in the car for an hour babysitting it for updates.

Are you suggesting it's acceptable to taper to 12 kW, which I can get on my home charger, over 80% on a DC Fast Charger?
What is an appropriate rate of charge across the spectrum? serious question? Tesla don’t charge at maximum rate across the SOC. Heck - I was at at SC with a MY and was only getting 61kW @ 40% SOC.

I agree 12kW is kind of silly on DC - but what’s an acceptable drop? Is there one?

What is an appropriate rate of charge across the spectrum? serious question? Tesla don’t charge at maximum rate across the SOC. Heck - I was at at SC with a MY and was only getting 61kW @ 40% SOC.

I agree 12kW is kind of silly on DC - but what’s an acceptable drop? Is there one?

I don't know the answer to that. Plus, acceptable to one person is not to another.

What I would suggest is that there is plenty of data to be had by now, and I cannot believe that almost every other manufacturer would allow 4 to 5 times that charging rate over 80% if it were that hazardous to the pack.

Lots of similar reviews of the charging of the Mach-E. The car itself is good, the charging network needs a lot of work.

The fear is this kind of experience sours people to EVs in general, as many people buying a Mach-E might be first time EV buyers. It's unfortunate a lot of automakers underestimate the importance of the charging network.

Whos to say this isn't Fords intention, to just have Tesla Haters buy the Mach-E and then have those same buyers just say EV' are trash.

Ford has done this before with their Ford Performance vehicles that aren't the Mustang or Raptor. The RS was a disaster, they put the ST badge on an SUV. Ford, other than the Mustang and F-150 suck. I'm a huge Ford fan, have owned 5 of them and loved them all.

Last edited:
Reactions: byeLT4 and alexgr
well you are consistent.
the taycan has a big issue with their plug and charge which has a built in issue and plug and charge does not work as promised.
do you have ANY experience with a taycan other than reading blogs?

Of course, as most of us discussion board warriors, I had no personal experience with most vehicles I am talking about. If you have a Taycan or have been driving and charging it for an extended period of time, I would be happy to hear your opinion. Until then, I will be used publicly available information. The charging curves of Taycan and E-Tron are much better than the charging curve of the Mach-E. I am not surprised by reports of Mach-E reservation holders dropping reservations and purchasing the E-Tron as it can be purchased almost at the same price now as the top version of the Mach-E.

Whos to say this isn't Fords intention, to just have Tesla Haters buy the Mach-E and then have those same buyers just say EV' are trash.

Ford has done this before with their Ford Performance vehicles that aren't the Mustang or Raptor. The RS was a disaster, they put the ST badge on an SUV. Ford, other than the Mustang and F-150 suck. I'm a huge Ford fan, have owned 5 of them and loved them all.

This is totally nonsensical.

No one invests hundreds of millions of dollars to create a new EV platform so that it can suck and tank the EV market.
No one puts the Mustang nameplate on an EV so it can take down both the ICE and EV versions.
No one plans on selling a pure Electric version of a vehicle they sell literally a million of every year and launches an EV version of a crossover to kill the EV market.

That really makes no sense.

Reactions: BooMan and FordMME