Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mach-E road trip becomes a charging fiasco...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for revealing why you really continue to bash the Mustang Mach E and make outrageous claims about Ford. That makes a lot more sense. You're speaking from a place of deep personal hatred, not anything to do with facts and logic.
I don't think it is hatred, it is an outrage that the history has been whitewashed conveniently for a big corporation.

I feel bad for Mustang Mach E owners.

By the sound of it, it looks like Ford's handshake protocol is really screwing things up. This is really bad, and can really hurt them if they don't figure it out quickly.

It's too bad, looks like the only other crappy thing is the CLIFF of a taper over 80%. Down to 12 kW? That doesn't even qualify as "fast charging" any more.

Don’t feel bad for us. The MME is an amazing car, and better than the 3 or Y in many respects. But you are right, the one big downside where Tesla is still very much the king is public charging. I can personally confirm that the public charging for the MMEs is a total mess right now.

There are three main problems:
1. Ford’s “Plug & Charge” rarely works, period, and sometimes interferes with even using the charging station’s own app. Likewise, the FordPass app often has difficulty initiating a charge.
2. Most the third party chargers (Electrify America, ChargePoint, etc.) work great - once you get past Issue 1 - but some don’t. If only 75% work, that means 25% don’t, which makes public charging a total crapshoot.
3. The 80% fast charging cliff makes a difference on long road trips. It is too conservative.

BUT, I feel pretty confident that these issues will be ironed out with a year or so. I rarely need public charging, so it is a small price to pay for my amazing Mach E. It’s a gorgeous car, fun to drive, I just love it.

I also really appreciate people like Kyle doing these videos. It is very representative of the charging frustrations. Bringing these issues to a broader viewership will hopefully encourage Ford to get its crap together.

white washed? you know about it, terrible white washing job.
you might be shocked to learn that in the years prior to the US getting involved in that war that there were many who were friendly to the germans and the cause.
Right, but not everyone was publishing anti-Semitic books and praised personally by Hitler.

ESPECIALLY when you consider that Tesla is the scrappy understaffed startup, while Ford has a bazillion more employees than Tesla, and yet they can't QA a charging network?

It isn’t Ford’s network. It is composed of multiple third parties. Hence the teething issues.

But 3P is the future - we don’t have proprietary gas stations. Tesla has a big head start and its Supercharging network is vastly superior, for now. Eventually it will be obsolete. Everyone else is adopting CCS. CCS may very well be the VHS to Tesla’s Betamax, but VHS won. It’s all about adoption.

crapshoot public DC fast charging. yeah, that will win over the masses. /s

it seems that actually using the Ford EV for, you know, actual road trips, may be "exciting"? maybe just a tweek of marketing terms and this EV will sell.

It’s weird how people on the inter web will take an honest assessment about a deficiency and then feel compelled to tack on a sarcastic sneer, just like you did above. You wouldn’t do that to someone’s face, would you? Why do it here?

Reactions: Needsdecaf
These Manufacturers should just bend the knee and have Tesla work with them to share the SC network.

And have to wait in line with the other Teslas for an available charger? I think the Superchargers are great and I’d love to be able to add them into the rest of the 3P network, but I wouldn’t want to be solely reliant on Superchargers.

Last edited:
Just curious... where is FORDMME commenting on this topic? He is usually out there vehemently touting how great the MME is. Perhaps video evidence is just too hard to deny.

I hope Ford can get their charging issues worked out. I believe they have a lot of work to do. I have owned Fords all my life. First Ford I got rid of over quality was a 2013 Focus with Sync. The sync software was buggy and I did not enjoy having to download a file to a thumb drive and sit in the car for an hour babysitting it for updates.

Sorry, I don’t follow this forum religiously. But I’m catching up now. Somebody get me some body bags (that’s a joke, sorta).

Whos to say this isn't Fords intention, to just have Tesla Haters buy the Mach-E and then have those same buyers just say EV' are trash.

Ford has done this before with their Ford Performance vehicles that aren't the Mustang or Raptor. The RS was a disaster, they put the ST badge on an SUV. Ford, other than the Mustang and F-150 suck. I'm a huge Ford fan, have owned 5 of them and loved them all.

This is one of the weirdest conspiracy theories. That Ford dropped $20 billion to sabotage EVs. The Mach E is a stunningly awesome car in most respects, btw.

Well looks like the stories are starting to hit the MSM

The “funny” thing is that this “news” is about an issue over a month old that has already been fixed. Meanwhile there are actual, current problems for the MME - like the charging - that are only being discussed on forums.

It isn’t Ford’s network. It is composed of multiple third parties. Hence the teething issues.

But 3P is the future - we don’t have proprietary gas stations. Tesla has a big head start and its Supercharging network is vastly superior, for now. Eventually it will be obsolete. Everyone else is adopting CCS. CCS may very well be the VHS to Tesla’s Betamax, but VHS won. It’s all about adoption.

From a customer's point of view, they don't care if it is Ford's network. First, Ford is subsidizing it, so it kinda is their network (they did a partnership with them). And second, these third party charging networks are the ONLY way to do long distance drives in a Ford. So Ford really should have made sure that you could, in fact, do a long distance drive, especially with their charging partners.

And have to wait in line with the other Teslas for an available charger? I think the Superchargers are great and I’d love to be able to add them into the rest of the 3P network, but I wouldn’t want to be solely reliant on Superchargers.

But you're not solely reliant on SC, that's the beauty of it. Tesla's can pretty much charge on any charger with the add-on plugs. The Mach-E is a beautiful design that has a lot of potential but Ford is F'ing this up IMO. I can't remember where I read this a long time ago that Ford was going to have chargers at dealerships, maybe I miss read, but I think this would have been perfect. Ford and EA need to get together to fix this issue ASAP.

But you're not solely reliant on SC, that's the beauty of it. Tesla's can pretty much charge on any charger with the add-on plugs. The Mach-E is a beautiful design that has a lot of potential but Ford is F'ing this up IMO. I can't remember where I read this a long time ago that Ford was going to have chargers at dealerships, maybe I miss read, but I think this would have been perfect. Ford and EA need to get together to fix this issue ASAP.

Just because Ford pays for you to use EA doesn't mean you have to stick only with that network. There are others. That's the beauty and the curse of competition.

Just because Ford pays for you to use EA doesn't mean you have to stick only with that network. There are others. That's the beauty and the curse of competition.

True, you know this, I know this. How many first time EV buyers know this? Just like first time Tesla buyers who are not EV crazy don't know they can use other chargers other than Tesla SC or Tesla branded.