Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mach-E road trip becomes a charging fiasco...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But who would DO that? Ridiculous assertion. Like saying let's drive across the U.S. on dirt roads because it's shorter. I've done it on adventure motorcycles. Yes, it can be shorter, but it takes WAY longer. No one drives down central Florida and there's no call for a Supercharger in the middle of the Everglades. There are MANY superchargers between Orlando and Everglades City where people actually drive. Sheesh.
I am sorry if I unintentionally invoked painful memories of Florida locals of driving central Florida roads. I have never been there, and that was just a suggestion based on the fastest route according to Google. 😳 Well, but you know better.

To be specific, and to explain why someone may want to drive through the very-low populated areas, I can tell you my recent trip: Houston -> Huntsville Supercharger -> Sulphur Springs Supercharger ->Tulsa. "Normal" route: Houston->Dallas->OKC->Tulsa is longer, slower, and going through Dallas in the rush hours is all but guaranteed to sit over one hour in traffic.

Last edited:
Nope. I've driven from Seattle to Key West, Calais Maine to San Diego and MANY remote places in between. Hardly anywhere more than 125 miles from a Supercharger these days my friend. You have to search hard to find one. My first MS, in January 2013 required LOTs of stops at KOAs, marinas, friends dryer outlets. Today you can go most anywhere in the U.S., no full charges required.
If you tried OKC to Little Rock before this year, I guess you'd be surprised by a 340 miles stretch of I-40 without any supercharger.

If you tried OKC to Little Rock before this year, I guess you'd be surprised by a 340 miles stretch of I-40 without any supercharger.

Ozark opened in September 2020 and Van Buren opened in March of this year. But yes, prior to Ozark opening there was a 350 mile gap on Interstate 40.

The detour around that gap required an additional 85 miles and included a 212 mile leg to a Supercharger in Lowell, AR.

Ozark opened in September 2020 and Van Buren opened in March of this year. But yes, prior to Ozark opening there was a 350 mile gap on Interstate 40.

The detour around that gap required an additional 85 miles and included a 212 mile leg to a Supercharger in Lowell, AR.

And Lowell opened in the middle of last year (summer, I believe)! I thought that Ozark opened in winter, but thanks for correction.

Reactions: Big Earl
His video on the return trip is up. He never used plug&charge on the return, and basically had no issues with charging cutting out. So that goes to the usual EA user-experience of (steps common to Tesla in green. Steps removed by Plug&Charge in Orange):
  1. Pull in & park
  2. Open EA App.
  3. Wait 3s for stupid animation to stop
  4. Find your charger on the map
  5. Find your charger in front of you.
  6. Swipe to start your charger, ignoring the directions on the pedestal.
  7. Get out, plug in charger
  8. Wait for "continue" to pop up on charger, hit button exactly once.
and nothing specifically worse for the MME.

His video on the return trip is up. He never used plug&charge on the return, and basically had no issues with charging cutting out. So that goes to the usual EA user-experience of (steps common to Tesla in green. Steps removed by Plug&Charge in Orange):
  1. Pull in & park
  2. Open EA App.
  3. Wait 3s for stupid animation to stop
  4. Find your charger on the map
  5. Find your charger in front of you.
  6. Swipe to start your charger, ignoring the directions on the pedestal.
  7. Get out, plug in charger
  8. Wait for "continue" to pop up on charger, hit button exactly once.
and nothing specifically worse for the MME.
yup, that's the process.
the 2021 Taycan was supposed to fix the plug and charge issue, but it didn't work.
so it is just as you have it except that #7 should be #2
it's far from perfect but it isn't really all that bad

But yet on the first stop he had one stall fail to work, and then the app wouldn't let him try a different stall without uninstalling and reinstalling the app first
I hit that bug not that long ago, and at the END OF THE FRIGGING DAY it still told me I was charging and/or "move to avoid idle fees". I didn't know the uninstall/reinstall workaround, and had ended up just paying at the pedestal via credit card and left hours earlier.

Ford has a lot of work to do software wise. Even when the charging worked, the charge curve (which you hear him complain about several times) is another pain in the butt. The mach-e having issues isn't the real problem, it's how Ford is responding to them. So far they get an F from reading the forums.

The biggest problem is that BlueCruise is a super stupid name. But the tech sounds pretty great.

The MME software environment still has a lot of bugs to work out, from charging to the app to the infotainment, but the Co-Pilot360 stuff (which is the foundation for BluesClues) actually works really well.

• Funny
Reactions: BooMan
The biggest problem is that BlueCruise is a super stupid name. But the tech sounds pretty great.

The MME software environment still has a lot of bugs to work out, from charging to the app to the infotainment, but the Co-Pilot360 stuff (which is the foundation for BluesClues) actually works really well.
You wish that the name is the biggest problem...

I watched a review that basically demonstrates that Co-Pilot 360 is dangerous, and we know that Co-Pilot doesn't work on curved roads at all, so I'm not sure if "actually works really well".

All this in the context of Ford's ceo saying that they don't give (sell) betas to their customers.

You wish that the name is the biggest problem...

I watched a review that basically demonstrates that Co-Pilot 360 is dangerous, and we know that Co-Pilot doesn't work on curved roads at all, so I'm not sure if "actually works really well".

So unlike you who watched a YouTube video, I’ve actually been using CP360 for over a month and it works GREAT “on curved roads.”