Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mach-E road trip becomes a charging fiasco...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BEVs account for ~4% of global automotive sales. It has always been an absurd argument to state that competitors in the BEV segment will reduce Tesla's market share. Even if you account for all the new BEV models coming out it's still a paltry number compared to the number of different ICEV models available. Lots of room for everyone, and will be for decades.
in the very near future the dominance of ICE over EV cars sold will diminish. currently tesla sells 79% of EVs sold in the US, that level of sales cannot hold as many competitors enter the EV market

in the very near future the dominance of ICE over EV cars sold will diminish. currently tesla sells 79% of EVs sold in the US, that level of sales cannot hold as many competitors enter the EV market

Nobody expects Tesla to maintain 80% of the EV market. I'm focused on Tesla's percentage of the total vehicle market, which will continue to grow for years to come.

one might think that as EVs become more appealing to the mainstream that tesla will maintain it's current place in the EV market, almost 80%, but when there are many EV options becoming available to car buyers, the tesla will lose it's lofty sales levels.
you could try to argue that the quality/range of the tesla will convince new EV buyers to buy more teslas but the history of the automotive market tells a different story.
Tesla will do just fine without maintaining an enormous market share. The media will of course spin it otherwise.

you must be not aware of all the new EVs coming to the market. everyone of those cars sold will be taking a bite out of tesla's share of the EV market

EV market share is meaningless. Market share of all vehicles is what matters. Tesla’s all vehicle market share has steadily been growing and will continue to do so. You realize the generally accepted volume numbers for Tesla is to double last years output this year and then double 2021 output for 2022, right?

Tesla will do just fine without maintaining an enormous market share. The media will of course spin it otherwise.
in addition to losing market share from the sale of cars the more EVs that the fords and gms sell the less impact credits tesla will be able to sell to them. in the last quarter all of tesla's profits were derived from bitcoin trading profits and the sale of impact credits to ICE manufacturers.
some of y'all seem to not be looking at the whole picture

in addition to losing market share from the sale of cars the more EVs that the fords and gms sell the less impact credits tesla will be able to sell to them. in the last quarter all of tesla's profits were derived from bitcoin trading profits and the sale of impact credits to ICE manufacturers.
some of y'all seem to not be looking at the whole picture
Actually you are the one not looking at the whole picture.

Some people like to point out the one time income like BTC and Reg credits but fail to account for the one time expenses of CEO compensation for the new tranch and Model S/X retooling this quarter. You take out those two items and they are profitable without Reg credits and BTC. They are using every amount of income they can for expansion. Very wise. And if they no longer receive Reg credits, they don’t spend that amount. But who wouldn’t want to have their competition fund their own expansion?

Feel free to duke it out on the investor thread with others that will set you straight.

There have been many Tesla-killers, but Tesla is still isn't bankwupt.

- Jaguar i-Pace
- Mercedes EQ*
- Audi Etron
- Ford Mustang

I would have thought one of the big OEMs would finally get serious and provide real competition, but it hasn't materialized and we're still waiting. If anything, it's shown me that the OEMs are old plodding dinosaurs.

you must be not aware of all the new EVs coming to the market. everyone of those cars sold will be taking a bite out of tesla's share of the EV market

You know what's ridiculous?

VW, one of the biggest OEMs and sellers of the Taycan, etron, and id.3/4, supposedly paid Tesla for credits in China. VW has been funding Tesla's expansion in China.

So this is how the competition is going to beat Tesla?

Actually you are the one not looking at the whole picture.

Some people like to point out the one time income like BTC and Reg credits but fail to account for the one time expenses of CEO compensation for the new tranch and Model S/X retooling this quarter. You take out those two items and they are profitable without Reg credits and BTC. They are using every amount of income they can for expansion. Very wise. And if they no longer receive Reg credits, they don’t spend that amount. But who wouldn’t want to have their competition fund their own expansion?

Reactions: SO16 and MP3Mike
Old news, nevertheles:

If you read the real article (EV charging on long-distance drives isn't so easy if you lack a Tesla) the guy was a lazy idiot. He read a reference somewhere that his regular freeway rest stops had EV chargers, but the two he stopped at had only Tesla chargers. And so on. I guess I shouldn’t be too harsh. Ford and others need to provide their owners with actual information, like here’s PlugShare, use it wisely. Instead they throw their customers to the wolves and into the waiting arms of Tesla.

And people wonder why I scoff when I hear of Tesla “competition”. Theres so many ways they all drop the ball, it is hard to keep track.

Reactions: Big Earl and mk677
If you read the real article (EV charging on long-distance drives isn't so easy if you lack a Tesla) the guy was a lazy idiot. He read a reference somewhere that his regular freeway rest stops had EV chargers, but the two he stopped at had only Tesla chargers. And so on. I guess I shouldn’t be too harsh. Ford and others need to provide their owners with actual information, like here’s PlugShare, use it wisely. Instead they throw their customers to the wolves and into the waiting arms of Tesla.

And people wonder why I scoff when I hear of Tesla “competition”. Theres so many ways they all drop the ball, it is hard to keep track.
Agree. This guy's story is completely different than the YouTuber who sparked this thread. The YouTuber knew exactly how things work and the EA equipment let him down. This dork in the BI story did not do ANY planning whatsoever to see where he was going to charge, how fast the chargers were, or what was even required to activate the chargers.

Reactions: Cosmacelf
One has to admit though that owning an EV is not as simple as owning a ICE car for long distances. It requires some planning. I'm good with it, and CA now has a pretty amazing network of Tesla SCs, but it'll need to become way more dense if we want driving an EV to be as care free as driving a regular ICE car.

Reactions: Zer0t and Cosmacelf
Agree. This guy's story is completely different than the YouTuber who sparked this thread. The YouTuber knew exactly how things work and the EA equipment let him down. This dork in the BI story did not do ANY planning whatsoever to see where he was going to charge, how fast the chargers were, or what was even required to activate the chargers.
But as plenty of reviewers point out, that's a real problem. In a Tesla, you punch in your address in the nav and it figures out the charging stations. The other cars have similar functions but they don't work nearly as well (such that Plugshare or other apps are required). That won't go down well with the general public, given we are past the point of EV enthusiasts being the bulk of buyers.

Reactions: byeLT4
One has to admit though that owning an EV is not as simple as owning a ICE car for long distances. It requires some planning. I'm good with it, and CA now has a pretty amazing network of Tesla SCs, but it'll need to become way more dense if we want driving an EV to be as care free as driving a regular ICE car.
Agreed, but on my trips, Tesla required less planning (I’m in Cali, too). Plugged in my destination and my Model 3 mapped my trip, stops, how long to stop, estimated charge at arrival, etc. A gas car may provide navigation, but the stops and such aren’t integrated, which I was reminded of when taking a shorter trip in my wife’s ICE car.

Other EVs are just way behind in the aspect of road trip planning, making people rely on third-party apps and charging units. That makes them much, much more challenging to use on road trips than a Tesla, particularly novices like the author of this article.

But as plenty of reviewers point out, that's a real problem. In a Tesla, you punch in your address in the nav and it figures out the charging stations. The other cars have similar functions but they don't work nearly as well (such that Plugshare or other apps are required). That won't go down well with the general public, given we are past the point of EV enthusiasts being the bulk of buyers.

I remember when Elon announced this feature, he called it “the end of range anxiety”. I scoffed at it at the time since the first versions had various inaccuracies and we in the Tesla community were adept at using various planning tools. But Tesla kept updating the software making it more robust and sure enough it is a major reason why long trips are so easy with Tesla’s.

As usual, other EVs are years behind Tesla in this area too.

There certainly are places in the West where any chargers are rare (think Great Basin NV or Death Valley) and we like to go to places like that so for the time being we'll be keeping our Volt for trips out in the "boonies." Even going up to Big Sur can be challenging if you're not driving through. There's little between San Luis Obispo and Monterey.

There certainly are places in the West where any chargers are rare (think Great Basin NV or Death Valley) and we like to go to places like that so for the time being we'll be keeping our Volt for trips out in the "boonies." Even going up to Big Sur can be challenging if you're not driving through. There's little between San Luis Obispo and Monterey
It's 117 miles from the Pismo Beach SC to the Ventana Big Sur SC plus you really can't go 75MPH on highway 1 so even with the elevation change that's plenty of charge. On highway 101 you have even more options like Atascadero, Paso Robles, Greenfield, etc. I agree that some places out in the west have few SC locations but remember to bring your mobile charger - there are still lots of RV parks around where you can charge. We were at a campground in Big Bend TX charging while doing a hike and had enough to get back to the Fort Stockton SC.
IMG_0385.jpg

Reactions: mk677