Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MACH-E: The Best EV You've Ever Pushed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Ford can still be charged with the included portable EVSE "Ford Mobile Charger" which is a L1+L2 charger. Teslas sold today ship with a L1 EVSE.

The Chevy Volt had some issue at a point with their portable EVSE (L1). I know they changed the design.* Their recommend wall mount was a Bosch, which I mounted in 2012 outside. It still works every day.

My Tesla HPWC v3 malfunctioned shortly (har) after install. Tesla won't warranty it, so I bought and installed a HPWC v2 which has proven very satisfactory.

It's one of the weak links in EV adoption. Until houses start to be built with EV's in mind, there is no universal solution.

* Dirty little secret - The Gen2 Volt EVSE has a 5-15 pigtail, but accepts up to 265 vac, so you can use it as a L2 if you are creative.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: LargeHamCollider
The Ford can still be charged with the included portable EVSE "Ford Mobile Charger" which is a L1+L2 charger. Teslas sold today ship with a L1 EVSE.

The Chevy Volt had some issue at a point with their portable EVSE (L1). I know they changed the design.* Their recommend wall mount was a Bosch, which I mounted in 2012 outside. It still works every day.

My Tesla HPWC v3 malfunctioned shortly (har) after install. Tesla won't warranty it, so I bought and installed a HPWC v2 which has proven very satisfactory.

It's one of the weak links in EV adoption. Until houses start to be built with EV's in mind, there is no universal solution.

* Dirty little secret - The Gen2 Volt EVSE has a 5-15 pigtail, but accepts up to 265 vac, so you can use it as a L2 if you are creative.

If the tesla mobile connector that ships with the car (which can charge at 240v 32amp), is a L1 connector, what is a level 2 connector?

Last edited:
If the tesla mobile connector that ships with the car (which can charge at 240v 32amp), is a L1 connector, what is a level 2 connector?
L1 is 120vac, L2 is 240vac. Tesla used to ship the UMC with both a 5-15 (L1) and a 14-50 (L2) pigtail, so it was L1+L2. Now it ships with just the L1.

It would not be an issue except that Tesla runs out of $45 14-50 mail-order pigtails quite often. Right now they are in stock, so snap them up if needed.

If it doesn't ship with the car, it's optional equipment. I thought is was a silly way to save money, but if they wanted to save money, why don't they keep charging parts in stock all the time to make even more money?

L1 is 120vac, L2 is 240vac. Tesla used to ship the UMC with both a 5-15 (L1) and a 14-50 (L2) pigtail, so it was L1+L2. Now it ships with just the L1.

It would not be an issue except that Tesla runs out of $45 14-50 mail-order pigtails quite often. Right now they are in stock, so snap them up if needed.

If it doesn't ship with the car, it's optional equipment. I thought is was a silly way to save money, but if they wanted to save money, why don't they keep charging parts in stock all the time to make even more money?

IMHO, that’s misleading. You should have said optional L2. The Tesla mobile EVSE is the most capable EVSE shipped with any car. Just because you’re pissed at Tesla for running out of an adapter, doesn’t mean you should publish misleading information.

Teslas have always shipped with a Level 2 EVSE. It's the same one they shipped when the 14-50 pigtail was included. Not including the pigtail doesn't make it a Level 1, it just makes it only usable as a Level 1 until the owner buys a Level 2 pigtail.

Reactions: X Fan and Big Earl
IMHO, that’s misleading. You should have said optional L2. The Tesla mobile EVSE is the most capable EVSE shipped with any car. Just because you’re pissed at Tesla for running out of an adapter, doesn’t mean you should publish misleading information.

Yes, the full version of the UMC is the best portable EVSE I own(ed). I like it so much I own two. However, your theory that I'm angry at Tesla for nerfing the UMC is false.
1) I already owned a full version UMC prior to purchasing the MX, along with a TeslaTap J1772 reverse adapter.
2) I knew they nerfed the UMC prior to purchase.
3) I knew they ran out of 14-50's and were scalping them on Ebay prior to purchase.

I made an observation. It is very common on this site for people to get angry at facts, that's why it has a dislike button. Feel free to put up a dislike, thanks! :)

The Chevy Volt EVSE also runs off of 90-265 vac, but ships with a L1 pigtail. That doesn't make it an L2 as sold.

Last edited:
The MME’s included mobile charger comes with both 120 and 240 plugs. It works fantastic. Just like the included Tesla charger (once you pay for the 240 adapter) it’s really the only home charger most people ever need.

For most people, a “dedicated” wall charger is really just another toy. And that’s fine - these cars are toys, too - but I have a hard time caring about supply issues with an unnecessary Ford-branded wall charger.

Reactions: kavyboy

OR, as I said, make an adapter yourself for about $20 at Home Depot. I've made several and keep them in my frunks (Model S and 3) plus the one on my wall.

Reactions: MXLRplus
maybe the point was that tesla should deliver the car with proper chargers and not nickle and dime you for a part that is tough to get.

The MME’s included mobile charger comes with both 120 and 240 plugs. It works fantastic. Just like the included Tesla charger (once you pay for the 240 adapter) it’s really the only home charger most people ever need.

For most people, a “dedicated” wall charger is really just another toy. And that’s fine - these cars are toys, too - but I have a hard time caring about supply issues with an unnecessary Ford-branded wall charger.
for most EV owners are dedicated L2 charger is necessary,

My version 2 high power well connector died on me and I contacted tesla, they told me they only have a 1 year warranty. someone on The forum here mentioned that, in fact, they did have four year warranties when they first shipped them, like I thought. I finally found my box and the associated paperwork and was able to prove that it had a four year warranty and was only a little more than three years old. Tesla then sent me a new one. It works great! Just like the old one did. Still, I dropped it to 72 amp from 80. don't know what killed my old one but didn't figure it was worth taking the chance for that little bit of difference. Lower that heat!

not sure how much this relates to this post but, hopefully it'll help somebody. sometimes you do have to hold Tesla to the fire to get them to do their warranties. I think the guy working with me honestly didn't know that the old units had longer warranties.

Not really. The MME charges at 30a x 240c (7.2kW) with the EVSE. Assuming you are home at least 8 hours a night, that about 50 kWh after losses. Very few people drive 150 miles every single day and very few people are only home 8h a day.
I hate to be the one to tell you this, but that is an L2 charger

1617133333819.png

Attachments

• 1617133230045.png
    1617133230045.png
    300 KB · Views: 44
Yes, the full version of the UMC is the best portable EVSE I own(ed). I like it so much I own two. However, your theory that I'm angry at Tesla for nerfing the UMC is false.
1) I already owned a full version UMC prior to purchasing the MX, along with a TeslaTap J1772 reverse adapter.
2) I knew they nerfed the UMC prior to purchase.
3) I knew they ran out of 14-50's and were scalping them on Ebay prior to purchase.

I made an observation. It is very common on this site for people to get angry at facts, that's why it has a dislike button. Feel free to put up a dislike, thanks! :)

The Chevy Volt EVSE also runs off of 90-265 vac, but ships with a L1 pigtail. That doesn't make it an L2 as sold.

The included Tesla charger is L2. It only needs a customizable adapter (for $35). You could say that the Tesla L2 adapter comes without an an appropriate adapter without getting angry at facts.