Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MACH-E: The Best EV You've Ever Pushed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The included Tesla charger is L2. It only needs a customizable adapter (for $35). You could say that the Tesla L2 adapter comes without an an appropriate adapter without getting angry at facts.
I'm not angry. I'm observant. It's $45 now, and it's in stock, which is rare.
Your theory is that a Volt EVSE is L2 because the circuit board is L2. It's not. It's L1 until you "customize" it.

I'm not angry. I'm observant. It's $45 now, and it's in stock, which is rare.
Your theory is that a Volt EVSE is L2 because the circuit board is L2. It's not. It's L1 until you "customize" it.

Anything about Volt (?) in my "theory"? And no, Tesla is not coming with a charger at all. It is not a charger at all until you find where to plug it in and provide a continuous flow of electrons.

• Disagree
Reactions: mk677
Wait, the Tesla doesn't even come with a 240v charger unless you order an extra $45 adapter? Jeez talk about nickel and diming. That's just silly.

If you think about it, it makes sense. Different people may use different 240V outlets (not necessarily 14-50) and will need different adapters. I've ordered the adapter (was $35 back then) 2 weeks before taking delivery of the car.

Reactions: EinSV
Wait, the Tesla doesn't even come with a 240v charger unless you order an extra $45 adapter? Jeez talk about nickel and diming. That's just silly.
If they can't keep the part in stock and had to include it with every car sold then they wouldn't be able to deliver cars until they had them in hand (at least that is the going theory).
To be fair for the longest time Tesla was the only maker including both plugs for it's EVSE at a cheaper price than 3rd party alternatives. Other makers are just now catching up to doing the same thing. Shoot some folks are still salty about the GEN 2 UMC being capped at 32A instead of the 40A GEN 1 could do.

Home Depot sells a 14-50 adapter for GEN 2 UMC (for 60 bucks), if you really needed one and couldn't wait on Tesla to get in stock.

• Informative
Reactions: SO16
Come on guys. Stop making excuses. Stop defending silly/grubby behavior. There are many wonderful things about Tesla but sometimes you gotta call a spade a spade.

It isn’t hard to provide the correct plug for North American standards, etc. any more so than different 120v plugs. And if this part was really that hard to produce such that it would impact delivery of vehicles, then Tesla could prioritize its production just like any other of the tens of thousands of essential parts necessary to produce a car. Again, Tesla evidently does not think it is essential to include the ability to charge a car at 240v, or they’ve calculated that it can be spun out as a profitable little up charge, both of which are kind of a slap in the face to someone who just paid $40k+ for a car.

Come on guys. Stop making excuses. Stop defending silly/grubby behavior. There are many wonderful things about Tesla but sometimes you gotta call a spade a spade.

It isn’t hard to provide the correct plug for North American standards, etc. any more so than different 120v plugs. And if this part was really that hard to produce such that it would impact delivery of vehicles, then Tesla could prioritize its production just like any other of the tens of thousands of essential parts necessary to produce a car. Again, Tesla evidently does not think it is essential to include the ability to charge a car at 240v, or they’ve calculated that it can be spun out as a profitable little up charge, both of which are kind of a slap in the face to someone who just paid $40k+ for a car.
Yeah...it’s kinda lame. But is it enough to get my underwear all twisted in a knot, no. $45 a huge issue? Hardly. Last time I was at a dealership, they were trying to push extended services that ended up being much more than that.

I mean they also include the adapter to charge with J1772 which is arguable less used than the 14-50 pigtail.

not if you travel a bit

Huh? The only two places I use J1772 are a parking garage and a city park with free chargers. If you are traveling, unless you refer to local around-town travel as "travel a bit", you use Superchargers. period. full stop. Superchargers, I said. Not J1772 or anything else. Read my lips, s u p e r c h a r g e r s.

• Disagree
Come on guys. Stop making excuses. Stop defending silly/grubby behavior. There are not so many wonderful things about Ford Mach-E and we may even agree on something, but sometimes you gotta call a spade a spade.

I love almost everything about me MME and chose it over the MY for a reason (several, actually), but if I told you I am jealous of the Supercharger network, would that make you feel better? The CCS network will get there, but not for a while and it's tough to be patient.

• Funny
Reactions: MXLRplus and SO16
Huh? The only two places I use J1772 are a parking garage and a city park with free chargers. If you are traveling, unless you refer to local around-town travel as "travel a bit", you use Superchargers. period. full stop. Superchargers, I said. Not J1772 or anything else. Read my lips, s u p e r c h a r g e r s.
do you tend to sleep at night? while sleeping in a place without a tesla destination charger the only option usually is a J-1772.
on your travels do you ever stop and visit a place for a couple of days off the supercharger network? if yes the only other option is usually a J-1772.

I don't know exactly what your problem is but YOUR experience with the car is not EVERYONES experience.

Reactions: house9 and MXLRplus
Seeing the title of the thread, I thought we would see some great features of the MME when pushing.
Take for instance, the YUGO. One of the best features of this car was the rear window defroster. It was the best way to keep your hands warm while pushing..

1617557769804.png

• Disagree
The MME seems to have other frustrating charging issues:

Looking at macheforum.com, there are other problems that seem to be developing with the MME that I hope Ford addresses. However, given their track record with the Mustang and F-150, I'm not too hopeful. Tesla is not immune to issues, but even with the frustration that I've seen posted here, they more often than not, get up off their butts and get it done. Ford is a whole different animal in that regard.

It's a good competitor and one that I've warmed up to. My sister owns and loves Mustangs, so I started to push her towards the Mach-e, but I'll have to wait and see.

Last edited:
Reactions: mark95476