Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mach E: Your Reservation does not guarantee a set price for the Vehicle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
By law, Ford can't bypass their dealers, but if they are serious in selling the Mach E, they have plenty of avenues to incentivize both dealers and consumers.

Asking dealers to install a charging station is not a large investment (and may actually receive government rebates on them), the issue is to convince them to service EV vehicles.

I doubt that a dealership would send employees through this training and then not plan to sell and service EVs. Ford will probably offer some kind of incentive to the dealerships.
Thats what i said. Dealers have to step up on their own. Once they make that decision then they will send an employee to get trained.
Its just like when ford told dealerships if they wanted to sell the Ford GT they had to upgrade their service department equipment. Just to be able to service a car the proper way.
Not everyone signed up for that.

Thats what i said. Dealers have to step up on their own. Once they make that decision then they will send an employee to get trained.
Its just like when ford told dealerships if they wanted to sell the Ford GT they had to upgrade their service department equipment. Just to be able to service a car the proper way.
Not everyone signed up for that.
I don't think the number in the press release came out of thin air. Those dealerships have probably committed. Anyway, they will have far better service access nationwide than Tesla currently has. I think we are seeing the limits of Tesla's keep-everything-in-house approach. It just doesn't scale very well.

I forget where i read that if a Ford dealership wants to sell this mustang,they must also install chargers for it and be accessible at all times. This would have to come out of the dealers pocket. This alone might put off a lot of dealers.
The dealerships were moving to installing more than one charger because corporate Ford is moving in that direction including the F150. Long before the Mach E was shown, my small town dealership was doing the installation permits and other items needed for this.

Think they are just doing this to copy Tesla and generate some interest. It is just a sign up sheet.

Wonder how much better Ford could have made the Musk Stang if they had really put their best guys on it and did some out of the box thinking and engineering.

I still suspect they are taking one of their existing chassis and adding batteries and motors. Not really clean sheet.

Things like Tesla adding ceramic wheel bearings and all the little, but significant efficiencies built into their batteries and motors. It all adds up to Tesla getting greater efficiency than the others.
It's a clean sheet design ,as far as I am aware. They had a small, dedicated team.

A British YouTuber, Electric Vehicle Man, was at the launch event and I believe he mentioned it.

You do realize that this is the best they can do?

Legacy automobile companies are setup to make slow iterative changes to existing designs, with 4 to 5 year development timescales.
They have long forgot how to make rapid revolutionary changes. It simply isn't in their culture.

And when they switch over manufacturing, the most important target is how many vehicles per hour, not building them properly or slowly ramping up production, as we've seen very recently with Ford.
The Mach E was not a gour or five year development. It started from the ground up after the current CEO was put into place. A team Edison was created and you had a 16 month development timeframes. This is a new design, skateboard platform.

• Informative
Reactions: Ocelot
The Mach E was not a gour or five year development. It started from the ground up after the current CEO was put into place. A team Edison was created and you had a 16 month development timeframes. This is a new design, skateboard platform.

I'd heard he changed the project from what was going to be a compliance vehicle, but it is not clear how much was really changed. Still the result of a 5 year project, but probably with a big "come to Jesus" meeting in the timeframe you quoted.

I'd heard he changed the project from what was going to be a compliance vehicle, but it is not clear how much was really changed. Still the result of a 5 year project, but probably with a big "come to Jesus" meeting in the timeframe you quoted.
You are mistaken. The Mach e was not a 5 year project. Long before the mach e was announced, the current ceo stated he ripped up and stopped the previous ev work. The compliance term was only introduced to the public at the mach e event last week. He completely reorganized how this was developed and how it developed.

• Funny
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Under Item #1 in Fords online reservation for the Mach-E. So business as usual, the dealer will set price and markup for "stuff".
Here is the entirety of item 1 of 15 of the reservation details:

1. Reservation.
You may be able to configure a Ford Mustang Mach-E vehicle (the “Vehicle”) through the Reservation Process (“Reservation”). By completing the Reservation Process, you are not ordering or purchasing a vehicle. The Reservation Process allows you to configure a Vehicle and pay the Reservation Deposit (“Reservation Deposit”) to Ford. Participation in the Program does not guarantee you vehicle delivery. You must contact a Dealer to discuss final transaction pricing, arrange any necessary financing, and complete your purchase of the Vehicle. Your Reservation does not guarantee a set price for the Vehicle. The Dealer sets the Vehicle price, which may differ from the MSRP. Unless otherwise indicated, MSRP is the manufacturer suggested retail price and does not include destination/delivery fee plus government fees and taxes, any finance charges, any dealer processing charge, any electronic filing charge, and any emission testing charge. Optional equipment not included.

The bold emphasis is mine. I probably could have bolded the whole thing.

Here is the link: Ford® Terms & Conditions | Ford.com
The order bank opens in March 2020. Arriving at the dealerships in October/November 2020.

Well, I guess that’s what Ford has to write in the disclaimer, otherwise you could potentially sue them, if the dealer hikes up the price.

Ford can’t sell you any vehicle, so in the end you will have to buy it from a Ford dealer. But I wouldn’t worry too much. You can potentially buy from any Ford dealer, so if your dealer hikes up the price, then just take your business to the next one.

Surely you won’t get great rebates for being first, but that’s the same with any car, even a Tesla.

I was very surprised to receive a call from my dealer yesterday to let me know that they’d have a Mach E on display for a few hours today. Apparently Ford is showing their 4 prototypes at select dealerships. Although I didn’t order this color, I thought it looked amazing in person. The car appears roomy inside with lots of headroom, but sits pretty low (much more crossover than SUV). I chatted with my dealer about pricing and for what it’s worth they said they’ll be selling them at MSRP without any markup, so that put me at ease since I’m not one who would ever pay more than sticker. Overall very excited to pick mine up next year!

• Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller
Give it a few months after release....just mention Model Y and/or Cybertruck and negotiate some incentives. Heck, even Tesla was selling inventory cars below their list prices.

If the Mach E is released in quantities similar to the Hyundai Kona EV, dealerships will quickly learn they can charge a premium. The Kona was marked up $2-$5k over MSRP just because it was relatively hard to find.

The irony is that dealerships seem to understand EV demand, while the OEMs never supply enough.