Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MADA - MN Dealers attempting to block Tesla Motors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla is not asking for unique rights. Under current law, Tesla is free to open its dealership as desired. MADA is trying to CHANGE the law to keep Tesla out. They HAVE argued that because they have no franchises, they're not hurting anybody. This is an effort by high-end vehicle dealers to keep a competitor out. It's that simple. It's MADA who's engaging in protectionism, not Tesla.

Exactly. This is inherently anti-competitive. Funny how people talk about reducing regulations and keeping the government's fingers out of the economy, but start petitioning for invasive government rules when THEY might have to face new competition. The dealers aren't standing on principle here, this is naked self-interest, pure and simple.

You all seem to be ignoring the grave and present danger posed by Al Quaeda's huge car manufacturing business they use for funding direct attacks on the US. This is a Homeland Security issue currently thwarted only by the ever vigilant and loyal franchised car dealerships.

And don't get me started about the threat Canadians pose with all their black helicopters poised just over the border waiting for funding from direct sales of their cars in the US.

And don't get me started about the threat Canadians pose with all their black helicopters poised just over the border waiting for funding from direct sales of their cars in the US.

The real danger from Canada is the old grey Sea King helicopters... the main risk is them falling on you... :biggrin:

Minnesota auto dealers tried to pass legislation to block Tesla stores. Bill was just defeated in Senate. Thanks MN!

Awesome! Glad to see politicians can still make sensible decisions.

It isn't dead yet!
The senate committee did not forward the bill. However, the House one is still making its way forward.
The next House hearing is set for Wednesday the 13th at 4:00 pm (TeslaMinnesota)
Jeff Evanson, Tesla VP for investor relations will be testifying.
I think a solid show of support would be very helpful if anyone can make it.
Dinner afterwards perhaps?

This is related ... Tesla wants a store at the Mall of America but the dealers in MN said they'll sue to stop it:
http://feeds.bizjournals.com/~r/biz...Nmj23c/tesla-wants-mall-of-america-store.html

Bad reporting in that article. It states Model S has received mixed reviews, referring to the NYT article. Umm, that's one negative in a flood of positive reviews. If 99% positive reviews means "mixed", then sure. Technically I suppose it does, but the standard meaning of "mixed reviews" is much different.

Wanted: tesla store near me!

That's great! Warning: Elon should keep his powder dry for the good ol' boy network that runs my state. I'm right at the intersection of I-15 & I-80. It has to become a main SuperCharger crossroads. I'd sure like to see it become Tesla Central. AWD model Xs everywhere!

Last edited:
This is a superbly stupid quote that plays directly into Tesla's hand:
“We think everybody should play by the same rules,”said Scott Lambert, executive vice president of the Minnesota Automobile Dealers Association in St. Paul. “Tesla is trying to sell cars on the cheap, and it’s just not fair because they don’t have the cost of running a dealership.”
In other words: "We all understand that dealers add needless costs in bringing cars to market, lining the pockets of dealers, and we think Tesla should line our pockets, too."

This website:

http://www.teslaminnesota.com/#!news/citr

covers the latest and has a link to a petition.

It now has an update about the House Commerce Committee hearing:

UPDATE 3/12/13: HF 774 has been removed from the agenda of Wednesday's hearing of the House Commerce Committee. No further action is expected on the bill.

"No further action is expected" probably means that it has been stopped in the House as well.

While it was already voted down in the Senate, it seems this might be still open:

Bill To Ban Tesla Dealerships Defeated
The senate did not approve the bill. However the state Assembly is holding on its own version of the bill, though Elon Musk has also written a spirited defense of Tesla’s business practices. So this battle is far from over.

How does the "state assembly" relate to House and Senate? Is this resolved by the House ceasing further action on this? That article seems rather vague.

Someone who is better at this than me should keep a tally of which states' dealer associations have sued & lost -check 'em off as we go. Unfortunately, I believe this trend will continue, maybe getting worse as Tesla progresses. NY & Massachusetts. Now MN, any others? ML