Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Made a carbon fiber hard top

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ll take the bag and can pick it up. PM sent
I've been wanting clear carbon fiber hardtops for both of my Roadsters for a while, and always missed out when one became available for sale. So the ultimate solution was to make my own. I've lost track of how many hours went into making the molds and multiple attempts at fabricating each component. Doesn't matter though because I'm loving the end result. Using OEM seals and mounting hardware. Unlike OEM, this one is 100% carbon fiber. OEM uses carbon on the exterior shell and fiberglass everywhere else. As a result, this weighs 20% less while being just as rigid.

Molds pulled from my original painted top (serial #69). Five different parts.
View attachment 775185View attachment 775186

Exterior side after spraying clearcoat.
View attachment 775187

Interior side after spraying clearcoat, in lieu of cloth headliner.
View attachment 775188

View attachment 775189

View attachment 775193

Fabric orientation matches hood and side ducts. OEM is flipped.
View attachment 775194

Non-OEM on purple, OEM on green.
View attachment 775191
Okay you have some skills (Matrix 2). Looks great. So I have asked Henry Sharp pending a response, so I'll ask you. Willing to make a Taylor Mesh top? It gets hot in VA not like Texas but the sun is brutal. Thanks.

Okay you have some skills (Matrix 2). Looks great. So I have asked Henry Sharp pending a response, so I'll ask you. Willing to make a Taylor Mesh top? It gets hot in VA not like Texas but the sun is brutal. Thanks.

Sorry, just saw this. I've seen a couple of them in person and they don't look too bad to put together. Would need to find the mesh material and fabricate the side rails.

Hard top project is moving forward. Did some coursework on composites manufacturing with an aerospace company over the summer, so I'm feeling really good about this. More updates soon.

So what's the price and how does one order a roof?
I've been keeping a list of everyone interested so far. Just let me know and I'll add you.

Since this is relatively small run (as with most carbon parts), I'm leaving the door open to customization. Choose your carbon fiber fabric style, fabric headliner or clear carbon interior, gloss or matte finish, etc. Or just keep it simple and go with the OEM look :). Will have an order page set up soon with all of this laid out.

As far as pricing, this is what I have in mind:
100% clear carbon fiber exterior and interior - $7,000
OEM style clear carbon exterior with fabric headliner - $5,000
Body color painted exterior with fabric headliner - $4,000

Would include all OEM seals and mounting hardware.