Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Made a carbon fiber hard top

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been wanting clear carbon fiber hardtops for both of my Roadsters for a while, and always missed out when one became available for sale. So the ultimate solution was to make my own. I've lost track of how many hours went into making the molds and multiple attempts at fabricating each component. Doesn't matter though because I'm loving the end result. Using OEM seals and mounting hardware. Unlike OEM, this one is 100% carbon fiber. OEM uses carbon on the exterior shell and fiberglass everywhere else. As a result, this weighs 20% less while being just as rigid.

Molds pulled from my original painted top (serial #69). Five different parts.
IMG_1360.jpeg
IMG_1362.jpeg

Exterior side after spraying clearcoat.
IMG_1748.jpeg

Interior side after spraying clearcoat, in lieu of cloth headliner.
IMG_1752.jpeg

IMG_1765.jpeg

IMG_1795.jpeg

Fabric orientation matches hood and side ducts. OEM is flipped.
IMG_1792.jpeg

Non-OEM on purple, OEM on green.
IMG_1839.jpeg

Amazing work... are you looking to sell these?
After all the work that went into the tooling, it would be a waste to only use it once :). Need to gauge interest, as each complete top takes over $1k in raw materials and parts.

How is the UV resistance?
Should be very good. I'm using high quality epoxy resin from Resin Research and finishing with Duratec Sunshield, a specialty UV-resistant topcoat. Other parts I've made with these have sat outdoors for over a year with no yellowing or fading.

After all the work that went into the tooling, it would be a waste to only use it once :). Need to gauge interest, as each complete top takes over $1k in raw materials and parts.

Should be very good. I'm using high quality epoxy resin from Resin Research and finishing with Duratec Sunshield, a specialty UV-resistant topcoat. Other parts I've made with these have sat outdoors

Great work. Count me down for two tops if you plan to make more to sell.

I've been wanting clear carbon fiber hardtops for both of my Roadsters for a while, and always missed out when one became available for sale. So the ultimate solution was to make my own. I've lost track of how many hours went into making the molds and multiple attempts at fabricating each component. Doesn't matter though because I'm loving the end result. Using OEM seals and mounting hardware. Unlike OEM, this one is 100% carbon fiber. OEM uses carbon on the exterior shell and fiberglass everywhere else. As a result, this weighs 20% less while being just as rigid.

Molds pulled from my original painted top (serial #69). Five different parts.

Wow! That's quite remarkable work. Question though: Without the fabric underside of a headliner, won't it substantially increase the cabin noise? Figure the fabric headliner reduces noise. Would be curious what sort of noise differential there is. Might want to consider using the NIOSH sound meter.

I am always so impressed with the talent of so many of the forum members. Very impressive for someone with substantially no talent for these sort of things!

Last edited:
Reactions: Tex EV
Wow! That's quite remarkable work. Question though: Without the fabric underside of a headliner, won't it substantially increase the cabin noise? Figure the fabric headliner reduces noise. Would be curious what sort of noise differential there is. Might want to consider using the NIOSH sound meter.

I am always so impressed with the talent of so many of the forum members. Very impressive for someone with substantially not talent for these sort of things!
Thanks! When I drove around with it yesterday, it felt and sounded like OEM but I'll definitely get some measurements. There's an air gap between the inner and outer shells of the top which may have some insulating value. I'm thinking of stuffing that space with Dynamat or foam on the next one to see if there's any difference.

I'm in too, let me know if you move out on this. I'm in Seattle, close by Medlock and Sons. They specialize in Roadster repair and have over a dozen Roadsters there all the time they showcase (plus ones they are servicing for clients). They might be very interested in selling them!
Fantastic folks, they did a free battery check for me and gave excellent advise on boosting my battery range: The check found that brick 36, sheets 15 and 16 are underperforming. They recommended a few recharge cycles first and if that doesn't work I plan to have them isolate and correct them. Here's Medlock and his sons...
1646577703462.jpeg
1646577730216.jpeg

I'm in too, let me know if you move out on this. I'm in Seattle, close by Medlock and Sons. They specialize in Roadster repair and have over a dozen Roadsters there all the time they showcase (plus ones they are servicing for clients).

I know Carl quite well :cool:. They run a solid operation that I've had the pleasure of visiting multiple times. Already have them down for one top, maybe more in the future.

There has been a lot of interest here and on Facebook, so I'm moving forward! About to order a large amount of material and get to work. Exciting stuff ahead. Will update here as things come together.

Thanks all for the feedback so far!

I know Carl quite well :cool:. They run a solid operation that I've had the pleasure of visiting multiple times. Already have them down for one top, maybe more in the future.

There has been a lot of interest here and on Facebook, so I'm moving forward! About to order a large amount of material and get to work. Exciting stuff ahead. Will update here as things come together.

Thanks all for the feedback so far!
Awesome! Count me in as well.

Reactions: Tex EV
Fresh out of the mold this morning. This one uses a spread tow 12K fabric, making it slightly different from OEM but looks great. Especially from further away - the characteristic twill line is more visible.

I've registered an LLC and will have a website up soon to process orders.

IMG_2183.jpeg
IMG_2189.jpeg
IMG_2197.jpeg