Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Made a couple small changes to the Cybertruck. Thoughts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TtKx3cu.png

I'd like to see someone try a rendering with more curves in place of the harsh angles.

Curves are what made the Model S and X so difficult and costly to manufacture. People then go over the vehicle with a micrometer and bitch about panels aligning a half a millimeter off. On the Model 3 and Y they have simplified but it's still tricky and costly to make.

They can't use molded plastic on the truck the way they do on the Model 3, because they are after offering a unique tank-like strength. Most vehicles on the road are now using plastic for the curved styling and are comically fragile.

The tragically ineffective Reveal aside, the practical side of this design will probably win people over after the shock subsides.

Reveal aside, the practical side of this design will probably win people over after the shock subsides.

practical is going go be highly dependent on your application. given the high sides of the bed you can't access or load stuff in the bed except from the tail gate end. making it closer to a moving van with less enclosed space vs standard pick-up bed

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Farmer and UCF3
You ruin aero this way, maybe just round the top a little but that kills the way they want to manufacture this and increases costs.
If you look at test rides videos you might realize that changes are not necessary. MY needed a taller roofline in the rear but this one is OK as is.
Ruin aero? If you think that the Cybertruck the way Tesla revealed it has any sort of advantages for aero you need to take up some study in fluid dynamics.

NOTHING about that truck was designed with drag coefficient in mind everything is triangular and square. The amount of drag that will be created immediately following that roof peak at highway speeds is going to be substantial rivaled only by all of the square edges on the wheel well arches.

In fact, just looking at the two trucks in the OP's post I would guess that the second one he created will have a better coefficient of drag based on the more gradual roof line that starts to put the air back sooner and with less of a drop-off as compared to the cheese wedge design. Gradual and gentle curves always are ideal for airflow.

Think of a drop of water with the thin end being the tailgate. That would be ideal. Obviously it's not achievable but it will give you an idea what the goal is for aero and this thing is the opposite of that.

A brick would be about the only thing less aerodynamic. Drag clearly wasn't a high priority with the design of this truck so there's really nothing to ruin as you put it.

To get this back on track: OP, I like your take on it much better and would consider buying one. I'm in the market for another pickup so this was the first reveal I watched with the plan to put a deposit and it left me shell shocked. Not in a good way either. Your version is a little more palatable but I've got LOTS of questions about safety, repair and just generally living with it every day.

Yeah, a lot of folks put racks on the side bed rails.

How would you carry a simple ladder? Or anything long.

Maybe Tesla has answers. They often do.

Elon has had years to think about this and adapt his thinking out of the box. We’ve had less than 12 hours.

The presentation was to short too. Like how is the battery protected off road. Where are the side cameras. Where is rear camera (tail gate up or down). Safety. Interior. Efficiency. Efficiency towing. What will these door handles do? I wonder what the side effects are of a flat windshield.

I’ll bet the demo had standard glass. And someone forgot to tell him. And they didn’t know he was gonna try to break it on the car, maybe that was winged. The fact it did break shows how things are not staged and for real.

How would you feel if one of these pulled up in the stall next to you at a supercharger. Someone that doesn’t care about dings, covered in mud.

I don’t think it’s better as pickup design because it adds nothing functionally and probably screws up the airflow they designed for, however I’d really like to see what it looks like extended back through most of the bed for a third seat row version like a Cybertruck Suburban or Expedition.

It does illustrate that they can keep the folded stainless steel that brilliantly eliminates the paint shop and metal stamping and with minor tweaks make it look more conventional.

• Disagree
Reactions: theboom1
I don’t think it’s better as pickup design because it adds nothing functionally and probably screws up the airflow they designed for, however I’d really like to see what it looks like extended back through most of the bed for a third seat row version like a Cybertruck Suburban or Expedition.

It does illustrate that they can keep the folded stainless steel that brilliantly eliminates the paint shop and metal stamping and with minor tweaks make it look more conventional.
What???? It add massive functionality. The current design with the angled bed sides kill a lot of the functionality. No access to the bed from the sides, no gooseneck/5th wheel which is needed towing 14k, can’t add toolboxes/welders/other equipment, restricts visibility. Having the bed sides angled is literally the worst design choice they could have done.

Reactions: Farmer and lookmtb
Ruin aero? If you think that the Cybertruck the way Tesla revealed it has any sort of advantages for aero you need to take up some study in fluid dynamics.

NOTHING about that truck was designed with drag coefficient in mind everything is triangular and square. The amount of drag that will be created immediately following that roof peak at highway speeds is going to be substantial rivaled only by all of the square edges on the wheel well arches.

In fact, just looking at the two trucks in the OP's post I would guess that the second one he created will have a better coefficient of drag based on the more gradual roof line that starts to put the air back sooner and with less of a drop-off as compared to the cheese wedge design. Gradual and gentle curves always are ideal for airflow.

Think of a drop of water with the thin end being the tailgate. That would be ideal. Obviously it's not achievable but it will give you an idea what the goal is for aero and this thing is the opposite of that.

A brick would be about the only thing less aerodynamic. Drag clearly wasn't a high priority with the design of this truck so there's really nothing to ruin as you put it.

Read the Motortrend article on this. Apparently not so:

"Tesla might have erased the problem with active suction to bend the boundary-layer downward just aft of that peak. Gordon Murray's McLaren F1 used this trick, and SpaceX has plenty of expertise in active measures to manipulate airflow around its re-entering Falcon 9 first stages. However, with the bed cover deployed, the angle of its vast descending surface is evidently shallow enough for the flow to naturally reattach. The benefit being that it harvests a useful fraction of the air pressure that blocky, open-bed trucks almost entirely forfeit. Actually, the tougher aerodynamic trick has been coaxing the temperamental flow around those sharp A-pillars."

How Tesla's Cybertruck Turns Car Engineering Norms Upside-Down - Motor Trend

Will be interesting to see what the Cd is though.

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset